Charles Ford Smith - Geordie Cherry

flammerouge

New Signing
Been contacted by the author of this book. It is self published and appears to be real labour of love. Alan is thinking of doing a second edition, adding further information he has found about his grandfather and is wondering if there is any interest among our fanbase in purchasing a copy. Would anybody on here fancy reading it?

Secondly, he has been trying to contact a Rob Grey who helped him out with the book and apparently lives in Bournemouth but he can't get hold of him now. Not a name I am familiar with. Anyone know him?
0.jpg0-1.jpg

I would buy it like a shot, but then I am a bit biased because my paternal grandmother was from South Shields and all her ancestors were from Tyneside, both north and south of the river.

Thanks Al for the extra information. At 5’11” and 11 stone plus Charley Smith must have been an absolute monster.

A great uncle of mine was born a bit before him in 1888 and was a ship’s cook, just like Al. I’ve seen his WW1 Royal Navy service details plus immigration details in New York between the twenties and forties. He was 5’7” with a 36” chest in WW1. Most of his fellow crew members arriving in New York were shorter, typically 5’3“ or 5’4”.

So, it is doubly shocking to read that such a big young man as Charlie Smith should have died so young of TB. For all the grief associated with Covid, we shouldn’t forget how fragile life was in the past.

;