Chelsea - The Verdict

ok, I'll ignore what I saw on the TV replays, and won't bother having an opinion in future ;)
Watched it again as I wondering whether it was closer than I remember from the weekend. It was closer than I thought, but was far enough onside that VAR (not meaning to bring up any debate) wouldn't\didn't need any lines to confirm it was onside.

Amazed it took VAR so long to work out. Not sure whether they decided to do all their lines and then realised...oh he’s behind the ball, I don’t need to try and split the atom and I could just trust the Lino who saw it with his own eyes...

We looked good in small spells. Started brightly, should've scored 2 early goals. From the North Stand i couldn't really see just how good those chances were until I saw them televised. Possibly both fell to the wrong person. After that it was pretty much Chelsea and pretty much completely down our left hand side. It didn't take a genius to work out that unless we stopped their right side men we were going to get punished eventually. Ten good minutes in the second half got us Infront but let's face it after that , and the way we defended so deep, Chelsea should've scored a hatful. Giroud and Alonso both missing glorious chances. I left disappointed that we couldn't hold on ,not happy that we'd got a point against a top 4 team. Alas, our squad just isn't good enough with only one person missing from what would be our strongest 11. Of course theres accounting for the periods of injuries, the behaviour of some players and having no choice but to play someone who had no intention of wanting to play for the team but these things happen and had Eddie not been so reluctant to move on players like Francis, Surman , Ibe and perhaps even Gosling some seasons ago we may have a stronger squad depth than we do now. Many many permutations have lead to where we are now. It's not over and there's still plenty to fight for but have our players got that fight in them. Some have. others ? Not a hope
We were sat right behind the Chelsea goal and saw the Billing chance unfold right in front of us. We honestly couldn’t believe he missed it - truly easier to score. A goal then would have set us up nicely. But no blame attached fo Billing, he had an excellent match, his turn and pass to Stacey leading to the second goal was class. I like him playing further forward. He makes things happen in the final third.

Amazed it took VAR so long to work out. Not sure whether they decided to do all their lines and then realised...oh he’s behind the ball, I don’t need to try and split the atom and I could just trust the Lino who saw it with his own eyes...
Yep, especially when they show the 'VAR view' and it was pretty obvious.

It's amazing how many people don't seem to know\remember the rule. Think it was one of the Liverpool games in the past few weeks where they were debating (commentator and co-commentator) whether VAR got it right, in a very similar situation to King goal and didn't mention the fact the striker was behind the ball.

Us spouting on a forum can be forgiven for not knowing all the rules, but those getting paid to provide analysis should really know the rules better. It is their job after all. To be fair the commentators for our game, said exactly that, that King was behind the ball.

...maybe, after all we all see players in different ways I suppose and these are only my opinions of course...but it is fair to say that things seem odd this season and Eddie hasn't been himself..indeed the 'cosy' tightness of the squad looks like it has been shattered by events...I am not necessarily blaming Howe for that either! Our style of football has changed without doubt and opposition teams have sussed our passive passing game and beaten us..there is no way that what happened at Crystal Palace when they were down to ten men would have been the case in the past, I was there and it was our worst ever tactical performance in The PL IMO....
That was a really poor , desperate display and it was the first real time that it showed things were really going off the boil ...

Yep, especially when they show the 'VAR view' and it was pretty obvious.

It's amazing how many people don't seem to know\remember the rule. Think it was one of the Liverpool games in the past few weeks where they were debating (commentator and co-commentator) whether VAR got it right, in a very similar situation to King goal and didn't mention the fact the striker was behind the ball.

Us spouting on a forum can be forgiven for not knowing all the rules, but those getting paid to provide analysis should really know the rules better. It is their job after all. To be fair the commentators for our game, said exactly that, that King was behind the ball.

I'm sure I heard commentators debating an offside the other day in relation to a player who was five yards inside his own half when the ball was played to him.

Reactions: DJ
Just listening to Foster on talksport talking about how well Watford defended as a unit in two banks of 4 and 5 .....more interestingly he spoke about how they have let more leads slip than any other team.....said it was a natural reaction for them to drop deep after taking the lead to protect what they have......much the same as us and any other team in the relegation fight I'd imagine........more proof that it's not a tactical choice.

Saw that in their game at Brighton. Leading 1-0 quite comfortably and then started sitting deeper and deeper despite Nigel Pearson trying to get them higher up the pitch. Ended up a draw. Much like our game on Saturday. It happens especially as the opposing team has nothing to lose at one goal down.

The delay for our second goal I think was just as much to see if Wilson had touched the ball, he was very close to it and King was beyond him at that point so if Wilson had touched it King would have been given offside.

We looked good in small spells. Started brightly, should've scored 2 early goals. From the North Stand i couldn't really see just how good those chances were until I saw them televised. Possibly both fell to the wrong person. After that it was pretty much Chelsea and pretty much completely down our left hand side. It didn't take a genius to work out that unless we stopped their right side men we were going to get punished eventually. Ten good minutes in the second half got us Infront but let's face it after that , and the way we defended so deep, Chelsea should've scored a hatful. Giroud and Alonso both missing glorious chances. I left disappointed that we couldn't hold on ,not happy that we'd got a point against a top 4 team. Alas, our squad just isn't good enough with only one person missing from what would be our strongest 11. Of course theres accounting for the periods of injuries, the behaviour of some players and having no choice but to play someone who had no intention of wanting to play for the team but these things happen and had Eddie not been so reluctant to move on players like Francis, Surman , Ibe and perhaps even Gosling some seasons ago we may have a stronger squad depth than we do now. Many many permutations have lead to where we are now. It's not over and there's still plenty to fight for but have our players got that fight in them. Some have. others ? Not a hope
I think you are right the said players should have been move on 1 maybe 2 years ago recouping some value. I don't think they would be of any great value now. Then we might not be in the position we are today. We have some good young players at the club that with the a chance could make the first team Surridge being one of them. I think with the right coaching he could be a star player.

What tactical errors?

Is failing to beat Chelsea simply the result of tactical mistakes the same way allowing Brighton to have 75% possession for the first 30 mins was an Eddie masterclass?
But a couple of fans on here,said,we were excellent against Brighton.Dont know if they were at the game though as that first half we were shite

;