Cherries Trust

hba1

Fans' Favourite
Tony and some of the committee were stepping down and I believe others stepped up to take their place perhaps in a working group. Since then no news.

Does anybody know what is happening?

I see thanks to the Twitter jumble that it’s all kicking off again in regards to the CT.

Not being a frequent user can anyone give me a summary of that all the fuss is about? All I know is the Twitter account wasn’t being used very well, lacking any form of professionalism and then it all went bat**** mental over the Leeds fixture?

a few respected and talented afcb fans offered their help and services to join forces with current CT to improve its image, comms, functionality and presence - they were met with defensive attitudes and zero co-operation leading to an irreconcilable breakdown in their relationship, and so have withdrawn their offer

Last edited:
a few respected and talented afcb fans offered their help and services to join forces with current CT to improve its image, comms, functionality and presence - they were met with defensive attitudes and zero co-operation leading to an irreconcilable breakdown in their relationship, and so have withdrawn their offer

Wow, things change quickly. Got this email from the trust on Saturday

Over the last few weeks, we have been engaging with fans in order to increase our presence, communication and overall, our image amongst the Cherries fans. We realise that we have been lacking in clear and concise communication as well as transparency, and we must thank you, the fans, for coming forward and helping us understand what we can do better.

To this end, we are pleased to announce that both Sam Somers and Dom Greenslade have now joined The Cherries Trust as co-opted Trust Members. They will be heading up our communications as well as increasing our online presence, road mapping future plans for marketing, and establishing a brand-new website.
As co-opted members, both Sam and Dom understand that they have the full backing of the trust without being full board members but will be included in all matters of the trust.

I have to say I tried joining the CT as a member a few years back and paid my subs but despite repeated attempts to communicate never even received an acknowledgment of the subs paid let alone any kind of detail of meetings/comms/involvement...

Annnnddd as if by magic - from the trust in the last few mins

It’s with sadness that Dom and Sam feel they needed to step away from the trust. A mismatch of styles, attitudes and communication approaches made the situation untenable for all involved.

As a result of this experience, Peter, Caroline and myself have decided to remain in position till elections at an AGM. After this we will all remove ourselves from what has sadly become unpleasantly personal and mostly toxic.

Oh well, progress in a sense then- maybe Dom and Sam can take it on at the next AGM then

What's the process for electing board members?

Oh well, progress in a sense then- maybe Dom and Sam can take it on at the next AGM then

What's the process for electing board members?

Feel like I need to precede this by saying I've nothing against Dom or Sam ...or the CT guys who are getting dogs abuse for their volunteer work for that matter.

However, the problem I see is how Dom and Sam would separate their opinionated media personas from their roles as mouthpieces for the CT.

Dom, for example, has had a mini social media crusade against our shirt sponsor and even if he didn't do things like that via the CT it's still a prominent member of the committee throwing their weight around publicly.

Also, it's not very fair to have prominent (for us) personalities piling into them with the inevitable dog piling that comes from their following. It might be true that they're struggling and also that they're on the defensive but they're just a bunch of volunteers from our fan base that did what none of us were up for doing.

When they were formed a lovely chap suggested I should put myself forward for it but I feared how sour it could become and it feels like a very justified decision.

Last edited:
Historically the trust has had problems attracting enough volunteers to help whilst being brilliant at attracting keyboard warriors who are only too happy to tell the world what they are doing wrong.

I was hopeful that the Sam and Dom thing would be different but it seems that the trust couldn't get past the fact that they were publicly attcking them until recently.

There's also a problem with the trust understanding what role it is there to fulfil.

The club seems to be happy to pay lip service but from their point of veiw what does the trust offer that makes it worthwhile engaging?

And from the fans point of view what does the trust do that makes it worth joining or paying subs.

I've been a member for a long time but can't remember the last time I had anything really worthwhile for the trust.

I genuinely hope it changes but history would suggest that this unlikely

It’s all rather childish, stay clear of the pathetic arguments on Twitter.

It’s more of a battle with AFCB YouTube fan channels…

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you view it, the Trust is totally irrelevant to the vast majority of AFCB fans unless and until there is a major financial crisis like the many we had before Max arrived.
I was heavily involved with the Trust back in the old days and freely admit that with Max arrival I now have no interest at all in the Trust. Would I rejoin - no.

It’s all rather childish, stay clear of the pathetic arguments on Twitter.

It’s more of a battle with AFCB YouTube fan channels…
Not from my perspective! I've no issues with anyone else that does anything on YT or otherwise for AFCB, otherwise I wouldn't bother promoting them - so forgive me for rolling my eyes at the lazy narrative you're suggesting.

From what I can see it's just people (including myself) who are frustrated with the current Trust. Some people have offered their services, they've quickly come up against barriers which means the speedy progress they want to see (and more importantly, fans are asking for) is not being facilitated.

Some see it as Sam & Dom being impatient, but lets face it, patience is measured differently in the world of the current Trust. It's two years and counting since they said they'd do up their website. Still hasn't happened, and I suspect under the current tenure, we could be relegated and promoted again before we ever saw anything of substance.

It's just a case of a few weeks work getting it together until the structure is in place - with a cross-section of fans - and then no-one needs to talk about it anymore (until it's needed).

It's just people passionate and angry about how it has outwardly been run into the ground. There are a lot of arguments, but they are "good" arguments.

I understand the frustration from people who couldn't care less about it - but then forums, Facebook and Twitter didn't invent the mute button feature for nothing, so I'd advise they utilise it.

I do, for certain things, and it is wonderful!

Feel like I need to precede this by saying I've nothing against Dom or Sam ...or the CT guys who are getting dogs abuse for their volunteer work for that matter.

However, the problem I see is how Dom and Sam would separate their opinionated media personas from their roles as mouthpieces for the CT.

Dom, for example, has had a mini social media crusade against our shirt sponsor and even if he didn't do things like that via the CT it's still a prominent member of the committee throwing their weight around publicly.

Also, it's not very fair to have prominent (for us) personalities piling into them with the inevitable dog piling that comes from their following. It might be true that they're struggling and also that they're on the defensive but they're just a bunch of volunteers from our fan base that did what none of us were up for doing.

When they were formed a lovely chap suggested I should put myself forward for it but I feared how sour it could become and it feels like a very justified decision.

Are we supposed to have heard of these prominent personalities?

No, you're not supposed to have heard of them, which is the point. Just a couple of AFCB fans like you and I. On Twitter, they have previously have been opinionated though, as @Kudos alludes to. Not sure we'd have a board if we all went back through historical tweets and posts though!

I'm sure they will provide more info on themselves, as others will, when the time comes for them to stand for election on the board - if that is their wish.

Depends on your level of engagement with AFCB matters on social media but we're talking about people with hundreds of people following individually and collectively thousands.

No, you're not supposed to have heard of them, which is the point. Just a couple of AFCB fans like you and I. On Twitter, they have previously have been opinionated though, as @Kudos alludes to. Not sure we'd have a board if we all went back through historical tweets and posts though!

I'm sure they will provide more info on themselves, as others will, when the time comes for them to stand for election on the board - if that is their wish.

Not trying to snipe at them, or the current people they've fallen out with tbh. Hopefully they all sort it out because it obviously doesn't seem to be working atm.

Depends on your level of engagement with AFCB matters on social media but we're talking about people with hundreds of people following individually and collectively thousands.

I do follow a lot of AFCB stuff on Twitter so I'm sure I've seen their output, obviously I only ever play the post and not the poster so I've not registered their names ;).

You make a good point though.

;