Compare Our Squads- 2-2 v 0-9

paul49

UTC Legend
It's interesting to compare the squad that fought back to earn a 2-2 draw on 5th April 2017 with the one that capitulated yesterday. I witnessed our only ever point at Anfield but thankfully had the foresight to miss yesterday's performance.

2-2 5/4/2017 4-4-1-1 scorers Afobe and King

Boruc
A Smith
Francis
S Cook
Daniels
Ibe
Arter
Wilshere
Pugh
King
Afobe

Subs
Gradel
B Smith
L Cook
Allsop
Fraser
Mousset
Cargill

0-9 27/08/2022 4-2-3-1

Travers
A Smith
Mepham
Senesi
Zemura
L Cook
Lerma
Anthony
Christie
Tavernier
Moore

Subs
Solanke
Marcondes
Neto
Stacey
Pearson
Hill
Billing
Bevan
Saydee

I think we have a better squad now than we had in 2017 so the difference is down to the tactics and coaching.

It's interesting to compare the squad that fought back to earn a 2-2 draw on 5th April 2017 with the one that capitulated yesterday. I witnessed our only ever point at Anfield but thankfully had the foresight to miss yesterday's performance.

Boruc
A Smith
Francis
S Cook
Daniels
Ibe
Arter
Wilshere
Pugh
King
Afobe

Subs
Gradel
B Smith
L Cook
Allsop
Fraser
Mousset
Cargill

0-9 27/08/2022 4-2-3-1

Travers
A Smith
Mepham
Senesi
Zemura
L Cook
Lerma
Anthony
Christie
Tavernier
Moore

Subs
Solanke
Marcondes
Neto
Stacey
Pearson
Hill
Billing
Bevan
Saydee

I think we have a better squad now than we had in 2017 so the difference is down to the tactics and coaching.

Very one sided way of looking at things. Liverpool side of 2022 is miles better than 2017, no comparison at all.

If we had Kelly playing it wouldn’t have been 9-0

Kelly probably may have marked the guy Tavernier did, and may have marshaled the defence a bit better, we will never know I guess.

What was astonishing was the amount of times Liverpool just put a corner basically onto the penalty spot to be attacked.

Other Pool players dragged our defenders away from it, so one of their own could attack the corner, which basically landed on the penalty spot over and over.

This is schoolboy defending everyone should be aware of.

But apparently we aren't.

Last edited:
Also what was noticeable with a couple of the goals that when defending, our players were more worried about following where the attacker went, than more worried about his own positioning, in comparison to where the ball was.

Perfect case in point was when Tavernier didn't even watch the flight of the ball, he was more worried about what the attacker was doing.

I get we are a bit short on bodies, and this is no slight on Tavernier, he shouldn't be mopping up the defence.

But, a team should always be able to watch the flight of the ball from a set piece and make it bloody ugly for an attacker to get on the end of it.

Being technically worse and getting opened up due to Liverpool having better players in an attacking sense, we may have lost 4 or 5 nil.

Being completely unable to muster a solid defense saw us lose 9-0.

Starting to think it's more the tactics than the players, and unless we win against Wolves, Parker needs to go.

Boruc
A Smith
Francis
S Cook
Daniels
Ibe
Arter
Wilshere
Pugh
King
Afobe

Subs
Gradel
B Smith
L Cook
Allsop
Fraser
Mousset
Cargill

0-9 27/08/2022 4-2-3-1

Travers
A Smith
Mepham
Senesi
Zemura
L Cook
Lerma
Anthony
Christie
Tavernier
Moore

Subs
Solanke
Marcondes
Neto
Stacey
Pearson
Hill
Billing
Bevan
Saydee

Half a story...are Liverpool same as or better than 2017 in your opinion

I'm not sure there was much in it in terms of the quality of our sides. King was on fire for the second half of that season and had formed a decent partnership with Afobe, Harry Arter was at his peak, we had settled partnerships all over the pitch, and if it wasn't for the aging process there aren't many players there who I wouldn't have in our squad now.

Liverpool were still in transition too. That was Klopp's first full season, they scraped 4th and they hadn't yet signed the likes of Salah, Alisson, or van Dijk. They are so much better now than they were then.

Boruc
A Smith
Francis
S Cook
Daniels
Ibe
Arter
Wilshere
Pugh
King
Afobe

Subs
Gradel
B Smith
L Cook
Allsop
Fraser
Mousset
Cargill

0-9 27/08/2022 4-2-3-1

Travers
A Smith
Mepham
Senesi
Zemura
L Cook
Lerma
Anthony
Christie
Tavernier
Moore

Subs
Solanke
Marcondes
Neto
Stacey
Pearson
Hill
Billing
Bevan
Saydee

Not forgetting that Liverpool are now amongst the best sides in the world, when they weren't that in 2017.

Klopp just thoroughly out thought Scotty P.

With far superior players.

It's Scotty P's chance to out think Wolves.

Tracks, back on the train wheels.............

;