Compared to this point last season . . .

we have not improved in the round

AFCB 0 THFC 0
AFCB 1 EFC 0
AFCB 1 WBAFC 0
AFCB 4 LFC 3
AFCB 3 AFC 3

A good round of results, balanced by the poor results against teams the fans expect to beat. Still everything to play for in the league.

Neil Dawson - 23/1/2017 11:39
The worrying thing for me is that last year we were decimated by injuries with no Arter, Wilson,Gradel...all key players...for large chunks. We had to rebuild a side on the go in a new league...

This year we have been largely injury free with all key players available for the majority of games. This would indicate to me we have not improved in the round.

Feck me, I'm agreeing with Neil!

I'd add that EH seems to have had his eye off the ball when it comes to defending. I've been saying that for years now and if he doesn't get a grip quickly we're going to keep on sliding down the table.

I don't think he's taken his eye off the ball defensively. He's just a manager who's more interested in attacking than defending.

He's wanted to build his sides around pacy attackers ever since he signed Liam Feeney shortly after he took over first time. Defence has always been a lesser priority.

It's tough to say if we really have improved on last season when you consider as Neil said, we were ravaged by key injuries last year and have Wilshere for this season.

Also Grumpy makes a good point about the non big six being worse this season.

It's been a weird season with getting results against the big clubs and struggling against the small ones, coupled with our poor away form but good home form. Both things opposite to last year.

Overall I think our league position belies our improvement. Aside from Cook who has really shown much improvement this year?

We are too nice as well........ Remember Saturday when Jack broke from a corner and was cynically brought down on the half way line, lad got booked. Contrast that to Middlesbrough away when Ramirez broke from the same position and three of our lads (Surman twice) lifted their hands and pulled their legs back as he waltzed the length of the pitch to score their goal of the season so far....

Defending is not just about heading set pieces away - although we need to learn that bit as well!

JIMNNINA - 23/1/2017 14:59

we have not improved in the round

AFCB 0 THFC 0
AFCB 1 EFC 0
AFCB 1 WBAFC 0
AFCB 4 LFC 3
AFCB 3 AFC 3

A good round of results, balanced by the poor results against teams the fans expect to beat. Still everything to play for in the league.

Last Season
AFCB 2 Man U 1
Chelsea 0 AFCB 1
West Ham 3 AFCB 4
WBA 1 AFCB 2
AFCB 2 Southampton 0

I'm not sure what your point is JIMININA. Any season looks good when you pick out it's highlight results.....

Neil Dawson - 23/1/2017 15:37

We are too nice as well........ Remember Saturday when Jack broke from a corner and was cynically brought down on the half way line, lad got booked. Contrast that to Middlesbrough away when Ramirez broke from the same position and three of our lads (Surman twice) lifted their hands and pulled their legs back as he waltzed the length of the pitch to score their goal of the season so far....

Defending is not just about heading set pieces away - although we need to learn that bit as well!

Lost count of the number of times I've said similar on here this season - we need a nasty streak. We had it in the Championship but have never had it in the PL. We need to be far more streetwise and cynical.

Everyone else is.

The Alchemist - 23/1/2017 15:43

Neil Dawson - 23/1/2017 15:37

Lost count of the number of times I've said similar on here this season - we need a nasty streak. We had it in the Championship but have never had it in the PL. We need to be far more streetwise and cynical.

Everyone else is.

We were a very physical side in championship but when we don't press high in the prem we suffer. Everton and Spurs were two home games where we got stuck into teams. Need to do that vs low teams too.

The Alchemist - 23/1/2017 15:43
Everyone else is.

Going further back it reminds me of when Bartley, Molesley, etc joined us.

The previously non-league players added a bite and controlled aggression which we'd not had.

Arter's aggressive but it's not controlled or calculated - he picks up unnecessary yellows as opposed to 'taking one for the team' to break up an opposition attack.

Here's an interesting one that will be as about as popular on here as Donald Trump at a Vagina Monologues gig....

Jack Wilshere. Undoubtedly our best player but does putting him in the side effect our high pace high energy approach? If we play him in the 10 we lose a potential goalscorer to fit in a non-scorer. If we play him deeper we lack physicality. These are the two reasons he doesn't feature at Arsenal incidentally, when fit.

Now, before people read this the wrong way - I love him, he is a class above anything I have seen in our shirt in many years and I don't think he is one of our signing mistakes. I just was wondering this the other day....our best 70 mins against a top 4 team ever when we took apart a Champions League quarter final level team to go three-nil up was without him in the side and an increased level of energy.

Or am I being a silly billy (god love this swear filter - can't even write the adult version of twit)....... discuss!

Yes ;-)

He played in the side that beat Liverpool, so we're both picking moments to suit our argument!

I think he definitely improves the side.

Jack Wilshere reduces the effectiveness of Harry Arter - it curbs his attacking instinct. I'd play Jack every time but that Arsenal game (both Arsenal games arguably) was quite reassuring that there will be life after Wilshere.

Also Wilshere needs to start scoring and assisting goals if he's to become the player everyone thinks he could be.

RobTrent - 23/1/2017 19:44

He played in the side that beat Liverpool, so we're both picking moments to suit our argument!

Indeed AFCB 0 Rochdale 4.
I said we were poor that day, the rest thought otherwise.

Seriously, apart from not winning our last two "target" games, there is not a lot to moan about.

SlowDownDerek - 23/1/2017 18:46

Jack Wilshere reduces the effectiveness of Harry Arter - it curbs his attacking instinct...

I'd argue the other way. If Jack plays as the 10, with Arter and Surman/Gosling, other teams will double up on Wilshere leaving Arter to break more with the security of Surman/Gosling keeping the back door shut. My opinion is that by having Jack in the team gives Harry more room to do damage. That formation/personnel were when Harry was bossing games e.g. Spurs.

Obviously, if it's 4-4-2 with Jack and Harry then that doesn't apply.

EfanEchoCool - 23/1/2017 19:15

SlowDownDerek - 23/1/2017 18:46

Jack Wilshere reduces the effectiveness of Harry Arter - it curbs his attacking instinct...

I'd argue the other way. If Jack plays as the 10, with Arter and Surman/Gosling, other teams will double up on Wilshere leaving Arter to break more with the security of Surman/Gosling keeping the back door shut. My opinion is that by having Jack in the team gives Harry more room to do damage. That formation/personnel were when Harry was bossing games e.g. Spurs.

Obviously, if it's 4-4-2 with Jack and Harry then that doesn't apply.

It should do but Arter's best games recently have been when Jack hasn't been in the team - surging forward looking to make things happen. When Jack has been in the team Harry just seems to give him the ball rather than try and do anything with it himself.

Wilshere massively improves this side for me. I do think there are times when he slows the play more than I'd like. On Saturday this was our main problem as Surman was along side him who makes that ten times worse!

We've definitely improved on last season. Small margins but we have improved. Subs bench is far stronger despite last season's injuries. Just because they can't beat Preston or Millwall doesn't mean they aren't making us a better squad.

This is the most unpredictable league around otherwise we'd all be millionaires. You can beat Liverpool and Everton one week, lose to Sunderland and Hull the next. That's what makes it so entertaining, anyone can and does beat anyone.

I've never understood having every player back at corners.

You immediately invite the whole of the other team into your box if they want to.

Leave a quick striker up the pitch,you take out two of their players,so you outnumber theirs in the box by one.

As the opposing team have to take the corner you outnumber by two,three if they play it short.

So if you man mark properly you have extra players left over to double up on the danger players of the opposing team.

You are welcome Eddie.....

bigfatolly - 23/1/2017 20:59

You immediately invite the whole of the other team into your box if they want to.

Leave a quick striker up the pitch,you take out two of their players,so you outnumber theirs in the box by one.

As the opposing team have to take the corner you outnumber by two,three if they play it short.

So if you man mark properly you have extra players left over to double up on the danger players of the opposing team.

Said exactly the same for years bigfatolly, never understood it........
until I was listening to the European football show on radio 5 a few years ago.
They spent a long time discussing it, they reckoned Barcelona started in and I was more convinced when they looked at the stats and they weren't even close. Overall teams concede less, apparently, when all 11 are back defending. The guy on the half way line was fairly irrelevant there and more use in or on the edge of the box defending.

It was a convincing argument but I still don't like it regardless.

West Moors Cherry - 23/1/2017 21:35

They spent a long time discussing it, they reckoned Barcelona started in and I was more convinced when they looked at the stats and they weren't even close. Overall teams concede less, apparently, when all 11 are back defending. The guy on the half way line was fairly irrelevant there and more use in or on the edge of the box defending.

Imagine how many we would concede with my method then :thumsd:

West Moors Cherry - 23/1/2017 16:35

its why teams take short corners so that they can pull one or two defenders out of the box. I'm sure they have data out the waazooo on it.

;