Connor Roberts

cockbeard

Fans' Favourite
Having a very good season with Swansea and Wales. Is young enough to develop but old enough to play. Would help strengthen relationship with David Brooks. Out of contract in the summer. Is very likely to play given Smith's injury. Plays anywhere in the right. Rarely gives the ball away. Already playing competitive football rather than Prem kids

I think it's the obvious choice and I can't see a downside to making it happen, nor any reason he might not want to come. Please someone make sure this is happening behind the scenes. Brooks, get in his ear on the international break

Finding a back up for Smith is always going to be a tricky task. What player with any sense of ambition would want to join a club to play 2nd fiddle to an established player? It’s why Spurs have never been able to get an effective Kane back up.

Roberts does tick a lot of boxes and does still have time to develop. But if we are going to develop a younger player, why not develop one of our own? Charlie Seaman seems to be progressing well in the U21’s. Maybe he’s ready for a step up.

An obvious option is Chris Mepham (again)! Can play at RCB & RB. Obviously rated highly by Eddie and would be the long term Francis replacement. The bonus is when Smith is back, Mepham wouldn’t necessarily need to be relegated to the bench.

Fair points, but I'm not sure Smith will walk back into the side. We know Meopham has been a target before, and though Francis now plays RCB/RB I don't think that's the kind of RB we need. He moved to there due to losing some pace. Smith is up and down that line and any replacement would need to do the same. Would love to see youth players coming through but look at how long the bedding in period really is. We need someone who can step straight in, and be consistent. I think Connor ticks too many boxes to ignore

The few times I've seen him play for Swansea/Wales, he hasn't really stood out to me much. Sounds a good player for us on paper.

I think one route is to find an up and coming right back on loan, on the lines of the Fosu-Mensahs of the PL, think Palace have had a couple like this in the last two seasons? Someone who is talented and able to cover while Smith is out.

;