Corona virus - Premier League latest about playing behind closed doors

....think it is ridiculous to play in empty stadiums and doesn't seem fair on the rest of the fixtures having been played to fans IMO.

IF this virus causes disruption to the season then it should either be annulled or postponed until it can be completed properly and fairly to all clubs!

If it gets that bad postpone the season for a few months and continue later. We have to piss about with the fixtures for the next World Cup in a couple of years so I am sure we could rejig things again to fit in.

I’m not sure how postponing the season would work, i would certainly favour that above playing behind closed doors but it would really muck up the years calendar. They’ve already cancelled games in some countries for a month or so.

May - Season ends
June - Euro 2020 starts
July - Euro 2020 ends
August - Season 20/21 starts

No room for manoeuvre

I’m not sure how postponing the season would work, i would certainly favour that above playing behind closed doors but it would really muck up the years calendar. They’ve already cancelled games in some countries for a month or so.

May - Season ends
June - Euro 2020 starts
July - Euro 2020 ends

No room for manoeuvre
Got to be a fair chance the Euros will be postponed if this keeps up.

There is simply too much money involved to postpone the season, stop the season with results as is, stop the season and make it null and void, basically do anything other than let it play out behind closed doors to a conclusion...

I am not saying it would be fair as you have to admit our home atmosphere these last few home games have really gee'd the team up and you wonder if playing levels will reach such an intensity without fans in the ground...

Would be completely different games... with zero home advantage... But I don't see what else they can do...

May - Season ends
June - Euro 2020 starts
July - Euro 2020 ends

No room for manoeuvre

One scenario is you complete 19/20 season in August-September. Then you permanently change the seasons to run on an annual basis from 2021. This means the 2022 season finishes in say October in time for the World Cup.

Of course such a drastic change will anger many people but they can’t have it both ways. If you are dead against changing the season dates AND dead against completing this season behind close doors in the current time frame something has to give.

There is simply too much money involved to postpone the season, stop the season with results as is, stop the season and make it null and void, basically do anything other than let it play out behind closed doors to a conclusion...

I am not saying it would be fair as you have to admit our home atmosphere these last few home games have really gee'd the team up and you wonder if playing levels will reach such an intensity without fans in the ground...

Would be completely different games... with zero home advantage... But I don't see what else they can do...

Maybe the rest of the seasons results could be decided by the pools panel.
Results released at 5pm and read out on Grandstand.

AFC Bournemouth v Crystal Palace. Home Win.

A reason given for not rescheduling PL games is there are no spare weeks due to European games. So despite Champions and Europa League ties requiring international travel for players, staff and fans, and them having no consequence on the following season(no relegation or promotion etc), those fixtures still trump domestic leagues

To be frank for many clubs, and certainly for the bigger ones, attendance income is marginal to their overall profitability and would, therefore, be best worst case scenario for them.

I can see games being playing behind closed doors (and before the Wolves game)

:utc:

Events move quickly as seen in Italy but we should complete the March fixtures ok in a week and a half (pre international break) with the prem title probably concluded.

The problem will be if we go down the Italian path and see big clusters of infection. This could even see teams needing to self-isolate if one player goes down with it (eg Scottish women’s team). If that situation happens then surely suspension would be the only option.

I suspect that if suspension were to occur, there would be no relegation or promotion, right? However, the transfer window would still open. So, all things being equal, we would be back in the PL with a very different looking team for 2020-21.

(Of course, that would be the same scenario if the season plays out and we stay up. In fact, the topic of our 2020-21 PL team is deserving of its own thread, and I'm sure we will have it soon enough).

Football doesn’t start and stop with the Premier League and TV audiences. We can’t push on with games with no fans. The game just doesn’t exist without them and soon enough neither will the clubs outside of the Premier League without any income but with all the expenses.

Money is irrelevant in this case as Premier league clubs could play behind closed doors every week and still turn a profit. The lack of atmosphere at some grounds would have more effect though. Let’s not stop the season now though eh ? One more game please.

;