Coronation

Thing is Stan....we don't know the Future but we are entitled to fear for our Grandkids.
I'm not too impressed or enamoured tbh with ANY of the Royals for various reasons but when you see how the Politicians are letting things slip badly ...moving to a Republic comes with its inherent risks...especially in these times.
I'm an avid studier of History and Geography...and I know several people better educated than me that also have their heads in books...and don't particularly follow one side of the argument or the other...they just see potential outcomes. I spend considerable amount of time discussing this type of thing with friends and relatives...it gets heated with a fairly balanced split.
I don't see anyone pushing for a Referendum on this subject.
The vast majority of countries have dispensed with a constitutional monarchy and replaced it with an elected head of state. The world is not full of dictators and we are one of a very few countries in the world where the citizens are “subjects”. It stinks and needs confining to the history books.

Hmmmm. National anthem at games. Will there be a rally flag for that?

Will we be allowed to boo? I've heard that might make the monarchy try harder.

Had an affair with Camilla many, many years ago when we were just young flibbertigibbets.
I showed her my sceptre and she let me play with her orbs.
Flighty little thing she was but jolly game as I remember.
I shall watch the coronation with interest and moisture.
:tophat:

Had an affair with Camilla many, many years ago when we were just young flibbertigibbets.
I showed her my sceptre and she let me play with her orbs.
Flighty little thing she was but jolly game as I remember.
I shall watch the coronation with interest and moisture.
:tophat:
Did you anoint her with oil your lordship or was it just the present of a pearl necklace?

Costs less than £1.30 per person and generates an estimated £20B a year. I doubt you'll find anything else that offers 20000% ROI for the economy.

By comparison infrastructure investment typically grows the economy by 200% of the cost of investment.

Costs less than £1.30 per person and generates an estimated £20B a year. I doubt you'll find anything else that offers 20000% ROI for the economy.

By comparison infrastructure investment typically grows the economy by 200% of the cost of investment.
Why should it cost us anything? And what’s £1.30 times 50m?

What generates £20bn a year?

I'd pay to see the royals "kept going" in one of those art installations, like that shark. Beats this from the good old beeb....

Screenshot_20230502-095304~2_compress67.jpg

This thread is getting tasty....
How we gonna get rid totally then....
..now then two of them have virtually got rid of themselves..with their shenanigans.
Irma Jesty has died on us.. so it's weakened it severely .. so it's time to attack with venom. No?

They probably won't meet the fate of the Romanovs in 1917..we are not far enough down that road yet....and if the Lefties can't influence a 'Referendum'....by what means can this be achieved.
It seems All Talk and No Action as it stands.

:loser: 'Queen' Von Der Leyens yacht has probably missed the tides ! Pfffft !

Last edited:
OK. Plenty of mentions of money spent on the Coronation, versus teachers, health workers striking for better pay and conditions.

(I can't remember the source, but I've seen it stated that the Royals briong in more in tax spent by visiting tourists to London than they get in return. Don't know if that is accurate or not.)

But no mention of the millions upon millions syphoned from the public purse on contracts given to donors to Tory Party coffers without a proper tendering process, money being taken out of the NHS by private companies who have gained contracts, and contracts like toe one given to a newly formed "ferry company" formed by a Tory donor and they didnt even have any boats......

It seems the royalists only have financial arguments to support the argument for their family.

Replying to the OP. The only argument made against was fiscal "cost us millions" "mob of scroungers". Can only counter point the argument made...

Im in the middle ground on this. I think the whole royal thing does bring people here to visit and I enjoy visiting the palaces as much as the next guy. But the idea that we are subjects lorded over by a German family who just happed to be lucky enough to come out of the correct vagina and dont have to worry about tax and have special treatment is just crazy in 2023.

OK. Plenty of mentions of money spent on the Coronation, versus teachers, health workers striking for better pay and conditions.

(I can't remember the source, but I've seen it stated that the Royals briong in more in tax spent by visiting tourists to London than they get in return. Don't know if that is accurate or not.)

But no mention of the millions upon millions syphoned from the public purse on contracts given to donors to Tory Party coffers without a proper tendering process, money being taken out of the NHS by private companies who have gained contracts, and contracts like toe one given to a newly formed "ferry company" formed by a Tory donor and they didnt even have any boats......

The royals don't bring in money. Tourists don't visit the UK because we have a royal family, as evidenced by the fact many more people visit other countries that don't have a royal families, such as France.

Other wastes of money are not relevant.

Im in the middle ground on this. I think the whole royal thing does bring people here to visit and I enjoy visiting the palaces as much as the next guy. But the idea that we are subjects lorded over by a German family who just happed to be lucky enough to come out of the correct vagina and dont have to worry about tax and have special treatment is just crazy in 2023.

Abolishing the monarchy doesn't mean knocking the palaces down.

;