Credit to the ref

Firstly I've never refed before so I don't speak with any experience. My perception is there is a lot about establishing boundaries which leads to trust and respect from the players. I felt Welsh cracked early and was exploited ever more from that point until the game was out of her control.

Luton were definitely time wasting[*] and playing up but by having a higher threshold for a foul he effectively eliminated the opportunity to roll around and take an age over manufactured free kicks.

[*] I think it was 2 minutes for a goal kick at 3-all, the next one being at 4-3 only took 6 seconds.
I agree with you about setting boundaries. I reffed a game once when I was about 19. It was only an U21 game between two college teams and I stepped in at the last minute as a favour to some friends. Right from the first minute a couple of the players were on my case. I came close to walking off because of the abuse I was getting, but my friends begged me not to. By the end of the game I was being abused by about half the players simply because I never set any boundaries. I went in not expecting any abuse and consequently was ill prepared for it. These days when I look back on it I wish I could go back in time and get the yellow cards out and put a few of the gobby players in their place.
I think the ref last night had everyone onside early on. Of course, there is also the possibility that because of the incident at the previous abandoned game there wasn't really any animosity between the two teams.

He didn’t seem to like unal much. Some odd decisions against him for fouls committed and received.

Good to see the game flow, got the card out when needed and gradually wised up to some Luton theatrics

On the whole, I agree. He let a lot go that other refs would have penalised, and the game was better for it.

Was still aggrieved that wrestling Solanke seemed to be fair game and yet, that lump Morris only had to fall over for it to be a foul!

I believe he didn't give a free kick for a foul until the 19th minute!

Agreed, and also likened him to the ref for the Arsenal v Porto match the previous night...

As fans, all we ask for is consistency in decisions, be that setting a low or high bar for fouls... Last night, the game flowed really well and I felt on the whole he was very consistent...

I don't know what the stats say for free kicks per game but only 6 (3 each) in the first half seems really low to me. I would have liked him to have got hold of the time-wasting a bit more though. Will we ever see a time when a GK is sent off for 2 yellow cards for time-wasting...?

More of this style of referring please...

Last edited:
He set a good standard IMO…players will fall into line if they know a ref is not buying their cheating tactics….that said it was rather unique game given the bond between the two clubs… no goading fans chants and not too much in terms of temper in the pitch..just a pity Luton didn’t get any reward for it in a way?

;