Dad

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing, Rob.

Like you, my dad (and my mum, to be fair) was the reason I became a Bournemouth and Boscombe fan in 1957. Both have gone now (my dad in 1980 and my mum five years ago) but it is family that led me to join the family of AFCB. I have tried to maintain that link but, living in Manchester, that has not been easy.

My older son became a City fan - when they were in the third tier to be fair to him - but my youngest son become a Cherries fan, when we were in League 2. We still try to get to as many away games as we can, although Covid and its aftermath have made that difficult in the past two years. We are just getting back into it.

It is that father/son bond that helps to make life (and football) magical.

Please accept my condolences and remember all the good times (and some of the bad - footballing wise)

I look forward to seeing you back at an away game in the not too distant future.

AC

Last edited:
So sorry to hear your sad news - your beautifully written piece will evoke many happy memories among a lot of us of exactly how we became Cherries in the first place. I lost my Dad in 2003, and still think of him every day. The pain does mellow over time, but the memories remain - at least as far back as about 1971!
Up the Dorchester Cherries!

So sorry to hear such sad news Rob but you've written such a beautiful piece about him and thank you so much for sharing it with us. All our circumstances are unique of course but the common bond so many of us share with our club and our dads is very special. Thanks also to all those who have also shared their stories.

Similarly my dad inspired my love of the game (and cricket too) and of course started my love affair with this club well over fifty years ago. He was disabled by childhood polio but somehow he always played the two great games with me and I never "saw" his disability.

Today happens to be the anniversary of losing my wife's dad and we shared a moment with you when I read your post to her. We both had some tears, not least during my three attempts to get through the "Up the Cherries" paragraph, but it was with some smiles too and some genuine catharsis.

As has been so beautifully put above... take care and take time.

Steve & Liz Perry

A lovely piece.
I am the other way, Bournemouth was my first game with my daughter, the season we started with -19. I still remember that season vividly.

Sorry for your loss Rob.

I think the majority of us here were probably introduced to the club by our dad's,and luckily my dad still sits with me and my son in the East Stand,so I can't imagine what it would be like without him being there.

Take care Rob and come back to the board when you are ready,maybe everyone will have kissed and made up by then.

Reactions: drd
Sorry to hear of your loss Rob. Sadly I suspect I may be experiencing similar in the coming months.
I'm glad your dad brainwashed you into hein an AFCB fan:grinning:, you're one of our best fans.RIP your dad

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and thoughts. Vitals is a wonderful community of afcb fans, and to have your support has been heartwarming.

I'll be going to tomorrows game with my brother who has been coming along these last few months. We'll be thinking of Dad, and I'll be taking a chunky kit-kat (or two) as a special memory.

Then, if I can wait that long, I'll be back bickering with everyone on Monday. ;-)

Thank you all. Up The Cherries.

Last edited:

;