Dean Court History

4FCB

Fans' Favourite
Did anyone on here know this and can perhaps expand on it?

I don't know why this came to mind, but I remembered someone once saying to me donkeys years ago, that the 'New Stand' at the old Dean Court was made up from fittings from a stand used at an exhibition.

It turns out that it was the British Empire Exhibition in Wembley, in 1924 / 25. This then became the site of the original Wembley Stadium.

There's a decent write up on wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Court but I wondered if anyone has any further interesting info to share?

4FCB - 26/9/2016 09:21

I don't know why this came to mind, but I remembered someone once saying to me donkeys years ago, that the 'New Stand' at the old Dean Court was made up from fittings from a stand used at an exhibition.

It turns out that it was the British Empire Exhibition in Wembley, in 1924 / 25. This then became the site of the original Wembley Stadium.

There's a decent write up on wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Court but I wondered if anyone has any further interesting info to share?

I always thought that was used for the Main Stand and it was the catering part of the exhibition.

Just found this.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/dean-court-bournemouth/main-stand.html

billythekid - 26/9/2016 09:28

4FCB - 26/9/2016 09:21

I always thought that was used for the Main Stand.

Apologies Billy, I meant the main stand ....... senior moment there.

It was the Main Stand not the New Stand. Opened in 1927-28 season (I wasn't there!!!) at a cost of the princely sum of £12,000. Apparently it was the steelwork frame for the restaurant at the British Empire Exhibition. Facts courtesy of the "definitive AFCB" book.

As I was looking into the history of our club came upon this that I didn't know, Bournemouth was once in the County of Southampton.

That probably explains why some people from Bournemouth follow the Saints. ;) ;)

redharry - 26/9/2016 09:33

It was the Main Stand not the New Stand. Opened in 1927-28 season (I wasn't there!!!) at a cost of the princely sum of £12,000. Apparently it was the steelwork frame for the restaurant at the British Empire Exhibition. Facts courtesy of the "definitive AFCB" book.

Wow times change. Miami Dolphins renovated their stadium this year, new seats, roof and other items and it cost ....*ahem* $500m!!

Thats not a new stadium. Thats a renovation of their current stadium. Crazy.

I wonder how much any "new" Dean Court will cost us?

billythekid - 26/9/2016 10:14

As I was looking into the history of our club came upon this that I didn't know, Bournemouth was once in the County of Southampton.

That probably explains why some people from Bournemouth follow the Saints. ;) ;)

The ground once upon a time was in the parish of Holdenhurst.

Agree it was the steelwork for the old main stand.

There's an aerial shot of the ground in the Echo AFC Bournemouth book which shows a stand on the Thistlebarrow Road side in 1927 and a further aerial shot in 1937. This later one has the grandstand in place plus the south end stand and a smaller stand on the 'new' stand side.

There is also a picture of the Vice President of the Football League opening the new stand.

I never realised that we were still playing in red and white striped shirts until at least 1933.

There is a reproduction of a 1926/7 cartoon with the crowd singing 'Good old cherry stripes'

With the old picture showing wasteland around the old ground to the east and north coupled with us being Boscombe to differentiate us from the Poppies I would say this myth about us being nicknamed from the nearby cherry orchard is rubbish.

No they are just glory hunters without the stomach to face supporting a lower league club :naughty:

Strewth[1] Billy, I've posted that at least three times over the years (in various threads about Hants/Dorset)

[1] You must have me on 'block' (which I didn't know existed 'til today)

Edited to add: The New Stand was surely once a cow-shed, going on the stench emanating from the bogs at the BBE.

Blimey New Stand opened in the 60s, was it ever new looking? I starting going mid 70s, and it seemed run down then

We all knew where the cushions ended up. They don't make refs like them anymore. The Boscombe way of showing dissent.

Back to the New Stand I just can't remember what it was like looking out from the South End starting from 56/7 cup run. As someone else said it never ever looked like new but the change in ends depending which way we were kicking was part of the follower. The pictures of the main stand on the link were post the Bond era and the old benches with the paddock in front. Happy days.

rgb - 26/9/2016 16:16

Strewth[1] Billy, I've posted that at least three times over the years (in various threads about Hants/Dorset)

[1] You must have me on 'block' (which I didn't know existed 'til today)

Edited to add: The New Stand was surely once a cow-shed, going on the stench emanating from the bogs at the BBE.

Three times over the years. :think: :think: :think:

That is a long time ago :think: :think: :think:

Trawling through the net in 1957 v MU the Brighton Beach end of the New Stand wasn't covered and the houses in Thistlebarrow Rd can be seen behind the crowd. In 1964 the New Stand as I remember to was fully covered. The only other photo I can find of the originalNew Stand side was 1937 with a mini stand straddling the half way line and terracing either side.

I also can't find when Brighton Beach was concreted although I recall a thread by Ronnie Bolton covering this. If only Keith McAlister posted on here he could answer all the questions or indeed Neil Vacher.

hba1 - 26/9/2016 17:29

Trawling through the net in 1957 v MU the Brighton Beach end of the New Stand wasn't covered and the houses in Thistlebarrow Rd can be seen behind the crowd. In 1964 the New Stand as I remember to was fully covered. The only other photo I can find of the originalNew Stand side was 1937 with a mini stand straddling the half way line and terracing either side.

I also can't find when Brighton Beach was concreted although I recall a thread by Ronnie Bolton covering this. If only Keith McAlister posted on here he could answer all the questions or indeed Neil Vacher.

Ron, some more old pics of DC and also other grounds, look at Carrow Road.

http://www.s.net/threads/good-old-proper-terraces.226787/page-3

http://homesoffootball.co.uk/?s=bournemouth&post_type=sell_media_item&collection=

Anyone who has ever been on a Saints or Pompey forum will be well aware that Hampshire used to be known as the County of Southampton. It is posted on every thread approximately three times a minute by a Saints fan in response to being called trophy dodgers or some other reference to silverware by their Pompey pals. This conversation has been going on 24/7 since the day the internet was invented without ever altering in any way.

billythekid - 26/9/2016 17:57

hba1 - 26/9/2016 17:29

Ron, some more old pics of DC and also other grounds, look at Carrow Road.

http://www.s.net/threads/good-old-proper-terraces.226787/page-3

http://homesoffootball.co.uk/?s=bournemouth&post_type=sell_media_item&collection=

First link doesn't work for me, is this the one? http://www.s.net/threads/good-old-proper-terraces.226787/page-2

This is from your first link Billy.

Dean Court, but doesn't give a date.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 9

;