Defensive Cover?

mark pike

Star Player
Eddie concerned re Cook’s injury and also Smith’s return date,just hope the failure to recruit a defender in January and let Cargill go on loan doesn’t derail our progress at this vital time.

He seems to be fairly happy with Fraser at right back if needed, that still leaves us Francis and Ake in the middle and Daniels at LB with Simpson as central cover

Don’t forget after Huddersfield, we have a 2 week break due to FA Cup 5th round day.

I would imagine both Smith and Cook will be fit again by the time hostilities return.

Cargill couldn't get in the Fleetwood side, so apart from being an extra body, I don't think he'd offer the cover we'd need to rely on.

I'd rather us put Simpson in and keep the back 3 formation going, than revert to 4-4-1-1 with Fraser as a conventional right back.

But is Simpson really ready to face 90 mins defending against PL strikers?
It’s fine winning MOM against Championship side M'boro Reserves, but a full blooded PL match is a massive step up.

tednphil - 5/2/2018 11:50

It’s fine winning MOM against Championship side M'boro Reserves, but a full blooded PL match is a massive step up.

When is the right time to give any young player a chance in the PL? Cargill's career with us stalled for a number of reason, but I'm sure a contributing factor must have been the number of times he was an unused sub.

Of course its a risk starting with Simpson. But the only way you are going to know if they can handle the step up is giving them the chance to step up. Aren't Huddesfield the lowest scorers in the PL? If that't the case then its not the worst situation to throw him into

SlowDownDerek - 5/2/2018 10:31

I'm not happy with Fraser at RB. It's a waste.

Definitely lose his attacking flair but works in a back 5 ok. This problem was hardly unexpected at some stage this season.

In general I agree with what you’re saying, but you’re forgetting that he more than held is own away at Chelsea and didn’t disgrace himself against Man City. I think he’s got the ability to deal with Huddersfield’s attack.

Agreed it is, but Huddersfield would be better to blood him in than against than a top half side. Still tough and still a step up yes, but with Franno's experience, Ake's quality, and Bevovic around him, you couldn't ask for a better unit to blood him in.

Simpson has shown he can standout in an all changed reserve 11, now is the time to see what he can do as a cog within the currently well oiled first team machine.

For the sake of keeping the first team in it's best formation, I think it's well worth a go.

james_AFCB - 5/2/2018 12:10

I think he’s got the ability to deal with Huddersfield’s attack.

I might be mis-remembering but at the home game against Hudds weren't we awful for the first 20 minutes or so? A lot of that was down to their success down their left flank, against our right back who ended up getting an early shower.

NornIron - 5/2/2018 12:22

james_AFCB - 5/2/2018 12:10

I think he’s got the ability to deal with Huddersfield’s attack.

I might be mis-remembering but at the home game against Hudds weren't we awful for the first 20 minutes or so? A lot of that was down to their success down their left flank, against our right back who ended up getting an early shower.

You’re correct, and we were lucky to go in 2-0 up at the break, however both teams were in a very different place back then. We were struggling for form and Huddersfield were full of confidence, it’s roles reversed now and if you can’t blood him in against an out of form Huddersfield then I’m not really sure when you ever would. Worth a go IMO.

;