Devon & Cornwall

Bourne Mouthy

First Team
I see areas of Devon and Cornwall are currently experiencing some very high-intensity slow moving storms, with rainfall greater than 32mm per hour in places. That will all be coming downhill fast in the next few hours. God forbid a repeat of Boscastle.

The problem is that rainwater doesn't soak into parched ground, it runs off it. We should be extremely worried about what could happen in the coming days.

Boscastle was in 2004. The difference this time is, as pointed out above, the ground is rock hard and water will just run off instead of soaking in. A Boscastle-type incident this week somewhere would not be any surprise at all.
A couple of spots, one just west of Bideford and another near Okehampton may have had as much as six inches of rain today according to rain radar accumulation charts.

Last edited:
I think it would have made an enormous difference if they really took it on board but that was never going to happen. They’re still not listening with most governments paying it little more than lip service.

Humans as a species were never going to sort it out. Personally it doesn't bother me. What will be will be.

Whats the difference between your comment and johnbobs?

I can have empathy with individuals whilst not losing any sleep for what I see as the inevitable fate of our species in general.

I didn't used to lie awake at night worrying about the inevitability of my parents dying but when it happened I was very sad.

What will be will be.
...but sometimes it a bit of forethought can prevent disasters...

..I could write a novel on this subject... it would have some Politicians as characters...there would be no action or critical highpoints...it would just be about Rain....and 'Recess' !

;