Difference a manager can make

Anyone who doesn't think having a manager can't make a massive difference to a team, look at Chelsea.
They are completely different since lampard left, inexperienced manager versus one who knows what he's doing

Exactly, another example of team that was clearly underachieving considering the level of talent they have in their squad.

Don;t tell Old Cherry that though :D

Yet on Talksport there were a whole load of Chelsea fans saying (albeit when prompted) that they wish Lampard was still there!

Our players must like Munoz - we're winning games and no complaints about his personalty it seems.

Probably helped by the fact one or two big name players are actually injured or have left who probably ruled the roost in the dressing room.

Some say he'll probably still not be kept on after this season though!

Yet on Talksport there were a whole load of Chelsea fans saying (albeit when prompted) that they wish Lampard was still there!

Our players must like Munoz - we're winning games and no complaints about his personalty it seems.

Probably helped by the fact one or two big name players are actually injured or have left who probably ruled the roost in the dressing room.

Will be a miracle if he's still with you at this point next year!

Can actually see Lampard taking over at Watford next season after promotion

where’s deeney?

Tuchel is a better manager but it's all about player mentality, most are clearly fragile as glass and rely on form, momentum and to be told their phucking amazing even if they aren't and a great player like Lampard was never going to do that.
Chelsea will eventually lose and how they react will determine Tuchel as a manager and who he buys in the Summer.

Many Chelsea fans would've kicked off if fans were at the Stadium when Frank was sacked which is why they made the decision when they weren't. Not that we are comparable to them as they're the antithesis of this club when you think of Eddie's reign and they sack managers if they're not top 4, ruthless and at times soul-less when legends like Lampard and Di Matteo get sacked but you can't deny it hasn't worked for them over the years because they win trophies.
If Woodgate wins us the FA Cup I'd consider him a top lad with a better personality than alot of managers out there but also acknowledge he would've got miraculously lucky because I don't think he's anything on Sir Eddie Howe.

A new manager can come in and almost immediately change things for the better. But how many times has this happened only for things to turn around and suddenly he can't buy a result and is sacked? Football is a very fickle game and requires so many things to go right at the same time. One bad apple in the squad can affect the whole team and the manager as we've seen at AFCB. How it dragged a great manager like EH into looking, at best, average at times foxes me.

...sometimes a new manager works and sometimes not, but it is all about giving them the time maybe to impose their style and sort out the players that don't respond to it or get sidelined. Thesedays it seems that players are in the main precious and moody more than in the past when the old style managers would just sort them out quickly, although those days are gone and it is very different now when players call the tune and can get managers sacked more easily?

Since Howe departed us, I think that the board got it wrong in not going for a proven manager who would have got more respect from our players possibly. There is no doubting the abilities in our squad with the likes of Lerma...Danjuma...Solanke...Rico...Begovic...Stanislas.....Smith...Brooks...Lewis Cook...Mepham...Steve Cook...Billing and the younger guys like Stacey, Kelly and Surridge.

Tindall (or Hughes?) got in Riquelme and Pearson to advance our options and we do have a balanced squad on paper.

They have underperformed and lacked consitency in our season, and IMO lacked tactical guidance or strategy during matches. We should be at least a top four side but due to probably not getting the right man in charge, and having to change managers soon into the season...the sacrifice is probably missing promotion.

This season looks our best shot for a PL return as the squad will look very diferent at the next Championship kick off in August.

When Asmir Begovic signed he told us all that he was signing up to Eddie's dream, then he was dropped because he had bad games and loaned out. Now back, much to many's surprise, and I would have said he was player of the season. So what happened there?

Early during our stay in the Premier League, In my view, several player's quality dropped off when they were given revised contracts with (presumably) huge salaries. I can't help but feel that several of these were poor judgement calls. We were not wealthy enough to replace them when things went pear-shaped and, in turn, the players knew that the odds on them being replaced by a player who was going to be bought through by Eddie, wasn't going to happen any time soon.

Too much coaching and arms around shoulders, not enough management? I appreciate the two are not mutually exclusive. However watching Fraser having a lovely time in training a couple of weeks before the end of his contract left me cold. Off to train with the under 21's for me.

One of the exceptions to players coming in and succeeding, was David Brooks who lit up Dean Court but what's happened to him this season?

Perhaps our present management team is beginning to put things together and just perhaps there is a recognition by the players that the likes of Jo Jordan and Woodgate have been internationals and deserve their respect and both have experience and have learned from the experience.

If anyone responds to this stream consciousness, saying I don't understand anything, I quite agree with you.

Tuchel is a better manager but it's all about player mentality, most are clearly fragile as glass and rely on form, momentum and to be told their phucking amazing even if they aren't and a great player like Lampard was never going to do that.
Chelsea will eventually lose and how they react will determine Tuchel as a manager and who he buys in the Summer.

Many Chelsea fans would've kicked off if fans were at the Stadium when Frank was sacked which is why they made the decision when they weren't. Not that we are comparable to them as they're the antithesis of this club when you think of Eddie's reign and they sack managers if they're not top 4, ruthless and at times soul-less when legends like Lampard and Di Matteo get sacked but you can't deny it hasn't worked for them over the years because they win trophies.
If Woodgate wins us the FA Cup I'd consider him a top lad with a better personality than alot of managers out there but also acknowledge he would've got miraculously lucky because I don't think he's anything on Sir Eddie Howe.
A new manager can come in and almost immediately change things for the better. But how many times has this happened only for things to turn around and suddenly he can't buy a result and is sacked? Football is a very fickle game and requires so many things to go right at the same time. One bad apple in the squad can affect the whole team and the manager as we've seen at AFCB. How it dragged a great manager like EH into looking, at best, average at times foxes me.

There's a fallacy endemic in sport based around a theory called "reversion to norm". Basically it means that you will get good or bad runs but typically will trend back to 'your level' of performance.

This is like paying someone to flip heads on a coin. Eventually they'll hit a streak of tails and you sack them and hire someone else. The new person is back to 50/50 because they doesn't have the baggage of a failed streak and it appears like a "bounce", however the old person was as likely to have got that head.

I know there is far more skill in managing a sports team which is why clubs like Brentford use their 'justice league' system to measure performance.

This is reinforced by the observation that if you berate a team doing badly they'll do better but if you praise a team doing well they'll get worse.

Seeing Leicester get to the semi-finals today made me think of the managerial up and down time Brendan Rodgers had.

His short time at Reading in the Championship through to the successful time he is having at Leicester City now.

Seeing Leicester get to the semi-finals today made me think of the managerial up and down time Brendan Rodgers had.

His short time at Reading in the Championship through to the successful time he is having at Leicester City now.

Rebuilt his career at Celtic / Eddie take note.

Brendan did preside over a big collapse at the end of last season including a whopping 4-1 thrashing at us so interesting how his reputation fares if they fade again

;