Dirty, dirty Bournemouth

kirsikka

UTC Legend
If Don Revie hadn't changed his mind and had taken over here instead of at Leeds, I wonder if that's how we'd now be known to supporters of other clubs?

It'd be an interesting alternative universe to visit. For a week or two.

If Don Revie hadn't changed his mind and had taken over here instead of at Leeds, I wonder if that's how we'd now be known to supporters of other clubs?

It'd be an interesting alternative universe to visit. For a week or two.

Was he actually on verge of joining us?

You been on the sherry early Chris?

Ha! Just read The Damned United yesterday and heard the story for the first time so it made me wonder.

Was he actually on verge of joining us?

Seems so. Looked it up after it was mentioned in the book and according to Leeds Live:

"March 17, 1961 was the most important day in the history of Leeds United.

That was the day that director Harry Reynolds decided to cancel Whites midfielder Don Revie's proposed move to Bournemouth after the south coast side had enquired about making him their new manager.

Reynolds convinced the rest of the Leeds board that the former Manchester City and Leicester City player was the right man to take the club forward."

It was mentioned on back of the net by Sam just before the teams met recently. Would Revie have received the backing here that enabled him to build the young squad at Leeds that went on to such success ? He was heavily backed by Reynolds in that regard but they also gave him time. I'm not sure what the situation was here in 61, apart from divvy 3.

I can't imagine that Revie, with his dour, humourless, Northern character, would ever have been embraced by the Dean Court faithful.

I started following the Cherries in 1964, and we were always known as a positive attacking team. Could Revie have turned us into a team of cynical cloggers ?

I doubt it. We're a sunny, southern kind of team. That's who we are.

We probably wouldn’t have had the same pull as Leeds but it would have been fantastic to see the likes of Jackie Charlton, Johnny Giles or ‘Sniffer’ Clarke in Bournemouth colours.

…we dodged a bullet there then…a dirty cheating back hand dealing bloke like Revie…mind you later we had Harry!

I can't imagine that Revie, with his dour, humourless, Northern character, would ever have been embraced by the Dean Court faithful.

I started following the Cherries in 1964, and we were always known as a positive attacking team. Could Revie have turned us into a team of cynical cloggers ?

I doubt it. We're a sunny, southern kind of team. That's who we are.

If what I read is accurate, it was Revie that changed Leeds into that team, so he could conceivably done the same for us.

;