Diversity Survey

Hoof_It

Fans' Favourite
I have just received a link to a diversity survey.

Some questions are worded poorly e.g.
"Have you seen or heard any of the following while attending matches at the Vitality Stadium to date this season? (Please tick all boxes that apply)
Disability abuse
Racism
Homophobia, Biphobia or transphobia
Sexism
Religious abuse
Prefer not to answer
Other"

There is no option to say I haven't heard any of them and you can't complete the survey without picking at least one. However I answer the question it looks like we AFCB supporters are in some way discriminatory.

Another example

"Do you feel that AFC Bournemouth deals with matchday incidents of discriminatory language and behaviour appropriately? (Please explain why)
Yes
No
Prefer not to answer
Any comments?"

No option to say I have no idea how AFCB deal with incidents as I haven't seen any.

Maybe I am in a sheltered area of the NS where everyone is nice or keeps their raging racism, misogyny and homophobia to themselves.

Not the biggest issue in the world but doesn't give the powers that be meaningful responses that suggest it may / may not be so bad. Only gives half the picture.

I guess it depends what they're interested in discovering.

If they want a picture of "how bad is the problem" then leading questions that discourage those who haven't experienced it from participating is pretty dire but if they're interested in "how do we improve reporting when there is a problem" then filtering out those who haven't had a problem is saving them a lot of noise.

For that first question, if they are not interested in people who haven't heard anything then a simple "I don't know" box and then it takes you to the end of the survey or a different set of questions.

Does other include "you're just a sh.t Andy Carroll".
Back to your point though it makes it look like anyone responding to the survey is saying they have heard discriminatory language. Poorly designed survey.
That isn't discrimantory, he just is.
I would chant that to anyone with a top knot and a penchant for rediculous air shot bicycle kicks and barging people at corners.

I guess it depends what they're interested in discovering.

If they want a picture of "how bad is the problem" then leading questions that discourage those who haven't experienced it from participating is pretty dire but if they're interested in "how do we improve reporting when there is a problem" then filtering out those who haven't had a problem is saving them a lot of noise.
But why not just have a box that says "have not experienced any of the above". That will then give the more complete picture. Simple.

The survey probably wasn't tested.

There's also a question duplicated word for word I'd guess accidentally, and another question that should be multi choice but isn't. Those are minor snags, but yeah the above isn't ideal and gives a bad impression. I'm sure it wasn't intentional though, always assume tinpot.

Last edited:
Any question not clear about, just answered other then put why.

If not sure, just put prefer not to answer.
"prefer not to answer " sounds worse e.g. I hear racism but I am too scared to report it.

Answering question "Other" implies a positive reponse. I did complete the other box and then added comments explaining why the survey wasn't very good.
I was polite cus that is who I am.

Yeah, poor survey questions typically are either (1) really bad work by the compiler or (2) demonstrate a prejudged expectation.

For OP#1, if you reply "other" does it trigger a comment box, because if it does that's where you could reply "haven't seen any of the above".

Does other include "you're just a sh.t Andy Carroll".
Back to your point though it makes it look like anyone responding to the survey is saying they have heard discriminatory language. Poorly designed survey.
Poorly designed maybe, but at least a Bournemouth University student is getting some work on the side.

;