Do we over water!?

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Odd thread I know. It might stop here and disappear off the page by tonight….

Yesterday we watered the pitch so much before the game that water was visibly fountaining off the ball and it was holding up while the players were running with it. This was particularly noticeable in the first fifteen minutes and badly effected the closer dribblers like Dembele and Lowe with the ball sticking under their feet. It also effected control (Solanke) on a couple occasions with the ball zipping off the pitch onto his shins…

Did anyone else notice this. I noticed it the other week when we watered at half time while it was raining.

There was certainly spray coming up visible on the tv pictures at times. It did seem a tad excessive.

This even happens on non - league grounds....and its potty....very little gain...what's the point.
Our local club watered the pitch last Thursday ..then had to postpone when the rains came next day with the storm. Planks!

I think it’s a good thread. We’ve always watered the pitch a great deal, seemed excessive yesterday and, for me, did effect the flow of the game.

Nah, its a new game plan. Scotty saw how we scored two late goals to win on a rain sodden pitch at Blackpool and decided in conjunction with his new Asst Manager (the groundsman) to replicate the conditions. And lo and behold another win with 2 late goals. I tell ya the mans a genius.......................................
Seriously though it did look a bit over done at the start.

Luton heavily watered the pitch in the corners against us a few years back.

Tactic was to hoof the ball into the corner our defender stops running thinking it will run out. Ball holds up in the quagmire. Attacker had a 5 yard headstart before we sussed.

Maybe we should have a new tactic of watering the away bench during matches.

We've done this for years, seemingly as long as we've been in the new stadium anyway (I doubt the old Dean Court even had an underground sprinkler system?)
I've never understood it, even when it's raining we do it!
Does playing in mud aid our style of football?

It's always baffled me. I assume they do it for a reason but greasy/ wet pitch in my mind makes it harder to control the ball or get the intended purchase/ bend on the ball when making a pass/ shot. Doesn't that favour hoofball teams over technical teams? I also notice that certain players like Solanke frequently slip over, the water can't be helping with that surely? Or defenders slipping over when turning to follow attacking players/ through balls? Seen that a few times this season. Increased injury risk too?

Do they wet the balls in training or play on a watered surface to replicate these matchday conditions? I've not seen it on any of the videos. Just all seems a bit disjointed logic to me.

It's always baffled me. I assume they do it for a reason but greasy/ wet pitch in my mind makes it harder to control the ball or get the intended purchase/ bend on the ball when making a pass/ shot. Doesn't that favour hoofball teams over technical teams? I also notice that certain players like Solanke frequently slip over, the water can't be helping with that surely? Or defenders slipping over when turning to follow attacking players/ through balls? Seen that a few times this season. Increased injury risk too?

Do they wet the balls in training or play on a watered surface to replicate these matchday conditions? I've not seen it on any of the videos. Just all seems a bit disjointed logic to me.
Do we have a sprinkler system on the training pitches to replicate it,?

I saw something a Blackpool fan said about the part artificial pitches we have now with synthetic fibres needing constant watering to prevent the root zone breaking up. Perhaps its related to that in some way? ie even when there's rain they need to be sure there is a slick covering all over when the pitch is in heavy use to protect it from getting ripped up.

Of course, the Blackpool could have been talking guff and there's a lot of supposition on top from me there...

makes sense to certain point as ball will move quicker. which will suit certain teams, styles etc.

but yes, does seem weird doing it if its raining or doing it to the extent the ball stops moving as efficiently. can understand more limited teams doing it to disrupt footballing teams, but would seem odd that passing teams like us do it excessively.

I saw something a Blackpool fan said about the part artificial pitches we have now with synthetic fibres needing constant watering to prevent the root zone breaking up. Perhaps its related to that in some way? ie even when there's rain they need to be sure there is a slick covering all over when the pitch is in heavy use to protect it from getting ripped up.

Of course, the Blackpool could have been talking guff and there's a lot of supposition on top from me there...

"It also needs to be wet to keep it together. Although it has artificial fibres to keep the structure together, it also needs to be wet to do that to a degree." Deputy Grounds Manager, Dan Sutherland

Luton heavily watered the pitch in the corners against us a few years back.

Tactic was to hoof the ball into the corner our defender stops running thinking it will run out. Ball holds up in the quagmire. Attacker had a 5 yard headstart before we sussed.

Maybe we should have a new tactic of watering the away bench during matches.

I think it was Luton who heavily watered the pitch before kick off and then it froze so the game was postponed c 08/09?

;