Dribbling

I've pointed this out elsewhere, but Parker's Fulham completed the most dribbles per game in the PL last season. Two Fulham players were in the top five highest dribblers in the league (alongside Traore, Saint-Maximin and Grealish).

Currently, we sit 15th in the same metric, way down on last season.

Looking at the players we've brought in, Rogers was the third-highest dribbler in League One (behind rumoured target Dembele) and Christie was 15th in the SPL.

It'll be interesting* to see if those numbers change.

*for a saddo like me

15th you say...wow things are looking up..... we've also managed to overtake Peterborough to climb off the bottom of the chance creation table!...the good news keeps getting better.

You all write like dribbling s a good thing.

Most of the time its a heads down, show off and lose the ball thing.

I'm more interested in our forward pass and shooting statistics.

I used to 'dribble' a lot in ships teams..I played on the wing... twas very pub - standard so i managed a few goals dribblin into the area, dinking the ball up off the turf and unleashing searing half- volleys to the near and far posts thinking I was Ray Bumstead (or occasionally that G. Best) ..but after the games we'd sink many many many pints and end up dribblin beer all over Portsmiff pub floors. After I done my medial knee ligament I had to stop playing and terrorising the tipsy defences and just watch through the pub windows...dribblin'...there always seemed to be a pub right near the pitches where we'd go before and after games !.. crackin' management at that level !

Think we’ve lacked a player in the final third who can open things up by carrying the ball, sometimes it is essential to breaking a team down as it opens up different angles for a pass. The only front player we’ve been playing who I’d say is a natural dribbler is Brooks. Anthony, Billing and Marcondes are all more comfortable playing the ball on rather than carrying it. I think that this added dimension is essential to our play. Stanislas is also comfortable carrying the ball, and it’s no coincidence that our most creative spell this season has come with him on the pitch. (We have scored three goals in the less than 45 minutes he has played.)

Is dribbling in part of function of there being no-one to pass to.

In other words you can't , as many recommend, let the ball do the work, if you're on your own.

So some stats don't really provide any useful insight. Surely dribbles in the opposition half that ended with a successful pass or shot on target would be a better measure than how many times a team just dribbled, good or bad.

Think we’ve lacked a player in the final third who can open things up by carrying the ball, sometimes it is essential to breaking a team down as it opens up different angles for a pass. The only front player we’ve been playing who I’d say is a natural dribbler is Brooks. Anthony, Billing and Marcondes are all more comfortable playing the ball on rather than carrying it. I think that this added dimension is essential to our play. Stanislas is also comfortable carrying the ball, and it’s no coincidence that our most creative spell this season has come with him on the pitch. (We have scored three goals in the less than 45 minutes he has played.)
We've missed Kings ability to run with ball from deep.....Lowe looks a lot like that type of player.

We could have done if we had played him through the middle.
I’m not sure he’d have been as effective down the middle for us. Considering a lot of our opponents sat deep and played a low block, he wouldn’t have been able to utilise his pace in behind. Also think he wouldn’t have been able to provide the focal point we needed as a lone forward, could not see him fighting off six foot plus centre backs on a regular basis (yes I know there was one occasion against Middlesbrough where he held the ball up to set up a goal ;-)) in the one game I saw him play a half upfront for us against Benfica, although only a friendly he got caught offside about four times and looked a little lost in that position.

You all write like dribbling s a good thing.

Most of the time its a heads down, show off and lose the ball thing.

I'm more interested in our forward pass and shooting statistics.

But dribbling is nice to watch and it frees up other players when two players move to the dribbler. Guess we need a bit of everything. Dribbling with a good pass or Dribbling to win free kicks and pens. Not a fan of dribbling in defensive positions.

Brooks has unfortunately given the ball away a fair bit after dribbling. Needs better support maybe.

;