ECONOMIC BOOM PREDICTED FOR SOUTHAMPTON !

davidwhitehead

Fans' Favourite
Just spotted this on a Southampton News website :

ECONOMIC MINI-BOOM FOR SOUTHAMPTON PREDICTED !

While the rest of the UK faces financial hardship amidst the cost-of-living crisis, there’s one major city in Britain that is looking at an economic boom over the next few years – Southampton !

And what’s more, it’s come from a very unlikely cause : the imminent relegation of Southampton FC from the Premier League.

Local Chamber Of Commerce spokesman, Matt Stokes, explains :

“Now that Saints have dropped out of the Premier League, suddenly there will be thousands of local residents who will find themselves at a loose end on Saturdays. So we are already hearing reports from DIY outlets and garden centres about unprecedented demand now that people will choose to spend their leisure time doing up their homes rather than traipsing down to St. Mary’s. Major retailers in West Quay are already experiencing higher-than-average footfall. And local pubs and restaurants are also likely to feel the benefits too from soccer-free weekends.”

Local business leaders are also highly optimistic. Says local industrialist Robert Channon,

“On the rare occasions that Saints win a match, we see an immediate, if temporary, uplift in workplace productivity. It’s nice to see staff come in on a Monday morning looking cheerful, but sadly, that hasn’t happened often in recent years. Now we’re back in the Championship, at least they might win a few games and cheer everyone up

But what of those football fans who will be deprived of their weekly fix of Premier League action ? Local rivals AFC Bournemouth have reported a sudden surge in season ticket requests from the Southampton area over the past week, but are unable to meet demand owing to restricted stadium capacity.

Long-suffering Saints fan Ron Paine moans ,

“Now that Saints are relegated, me and my mates were thinking of switching to Bournemouth, because at least we’d see some decent football down there, but we just can’t get tickets. The sooner they build that new stadium, the better. Until then, I suppose we’ll follow Eastleigh !”

Last edited:
Just spotted this on a Southampton News website :

ECONOMIC MINI-BOOM FOR SOUTHAMPTON PREDICTED !

While the rest of the UK faces financial hardship amidst the cost-of-living crisis, there’s one major city in Britain that is looking at an economic boom over the next few years – Southampton !

And what’s more, it’s come from a very unlikely cause : the imminent relegation of Southampton FC from the Premier League.

Local Chamber Of Commerce spokesman, Matt Stokes, explains :

“Now that Saints have dropped out of the Premier League, suddenly there will be thousands of local residents who will find themselves at a loose end on Saturdays. So we are already hearing reports from DIY outlets and garden centres about unprecedented demand now that people will choose to spend their leisure time doing up their homes rather than traipsing down to St. Mary’s. Major retailers in West Quay are already experiencing higher-than-average footfall. And local pubs and restaurants are also likely to feel the benefits too from soccer-free weekends.”

Local business leaders are also highly optimistic. Says local industrialist Robert Channon,

“On the rare occasions that Saints win a match, we see an immediate, if temporary, uplift in workplace productivity. It’s nice to see staff come in on a Monday morning looking cheerful, but sadly, that hasn’t happened often in recent years. Now we’re back in the Championship, at least they might win a few games and cheer everyone up !”

There will also be major spin-off benefits in other sectors – Mary McMenemy from the city’s Women’s Refuge Centre comments :

“We’ve noticed that there’s a strong correlation between Southampton’s poor results and incidents of male violence in the home when unhappy men take out their anger and frustrations on their wives and children. Now that the club is in a lower division where they can hopefully be a bit more competitive, we’ll see a welcome easing in domestic tensions.”

But what of those football fans who will be deprived of their weekly fix of Premier League action ? Local rivals AFC Bournemouth have reported a sudden surge in season ticket requests from the Southampton area over the past week, but are unable to meet demand owing to restricted stadium capacity.

Long-suffering Saints fan Ron Paine moans ,

“Now that Saints are relegated, me and my mates were thinking of switching to Bournemouth, because at least we’d see some decent football down there, but we just can’t get tickets. The sooner they build that new stadium, the better. Until then, I suppose we’ll follow Eastleigh !”
Loving the names!

;