Eddie - COWS Today

billythekid

UTC Legend
On learning from the setbacks...

We always reflect and analyse, not just the players but myself and the staff, with how we train and play, and in some ways it can make you more determined to do it your way.

We're not alien to change but sometimes days like Sunday reinforce that you need to do it your way but work harder and better.

I don't doubt the way we work and after Sunday we need to be even stronger with how we do that.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/matches/first-team/2017-18/chelsea-v-bournemouth-1?tab=buildup#115684

Yeah, nothing like a heavy loss to reinforce that you should do it your way.

As I’ve said before Howe is as stubborn as a mules ass.

Persisting with Ibe reinforces that notion.

Every time we play Liverpool he starts Ibe, like Howe has a point to prove.

That’s how stubborn he is.

dragonm8 - 19/12/2017 11:35

Must admit I find it puzzling why he persists with Ibe starting. The only conclusion I can think of is Eddie hopes he will come good soon and it might help build Ibe's confidence by playing him.

Being stubborn as a mule is his greatest strength Imo... :grin:

Of course great managers like Fergie, Clough, Moanrinio never displayed this trait!

dragonm8 - 19/12/2017 12:35

Yes, couldn't agree more.

The stubborness to save us from the Conference.
The stubborness to get us promoted from League 2
The stubborness to save us from Groves and get us promoted from League 1 in the same season.
The stubborness to make us Champions of the Championship in just two seasons.
The stubborness to keep us in the Prem for three season.

Obviously too stubborn for Bournemouth.

Erik, you can’t live on past successes.

We owe Howe an immense gratitude for getting us this far.

But he needs to develop also.

We’ve been here long enough to not have to rely on the likes of Pugh, Francis A Smith and the likes.

There isn’t a single team in the PL who would sign any of the players we play regularly.

Painful as it is to some, we need to overhaul half of our starting 11.

Be realistic.........if you want us to stay in this league we need to improve the squad.

When push comes to shove and Howe thinks Gosling might be a good choice is a case in point.

It’s reality I’m afraid.

Howe has done this club proud and he can do in the future. But digging in and saying what he said in the press today reinforces the notion that he is as stubborn as a mules ass.

With a few tweaks, we could be a top half team. Stubbornness may see us relegated at this level.

dragonm8 - 19/12/2017 12:04

Erik, you can’t live on past successes.

We owe Howe an immense gratitude for getting us this far.

But he needs to develop also.

We’ve been here long enough to not have to rely on the likes of Pugh, Francis A Smith and the likes.

There isn’t a single team in the PL who would sign any of the players we play regularly.

Painful as it is to some, we need to overhaul half of our starting 11.

Be realistic.........if you want us to stay in this league we need to improve the squad.

When push comes to shove and Howe thinks Gosling might be a good choice is a case in point.

It’s reality I’m afraid.

Howe has done this club proud and he can do in the future. But digging in and saying what he said in the press today reinforces the notion that he is as stubborn as a mules ass.

With a few tweaks, we could be a top half team. Stubbornness may see us relegated at this level.

Agree with every word.

How anybody can see the situation differently baffles me

dragonm8 - 19/12/2017 11:35

Except Ibe came on as a sub against Liverpool at half time last season at home. can't remember how that one turned out ................ :hihi:

But I agree EH is extremely stubborn and believes what he is doing is right, and I am sure he will not change.

I'm hoping that Howe telling the world that we'll just do more of the same, is actually code for we're going to try someting slightly different with a tweak to our system, but we don't want to tell anyone.

So are some of you saying we need a NEW manager?

I find that also baffling.

Ok, Allardyce has done a good job at Everton so far and Moyes and Hodgson at West Ham and Palace.

But what about the Watford manager? Is his honeymoon period over?

The Swansea manager started off well.

Eddie is in his third season with us in the Premier League and I bet that was against the odds of us staying up in the first season, let alone the second where we had a bad patch, but came through it to finish 9th.

Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign!
It can include a manifesto of all the new discoveries our keyboard managers have made, and everybody can sign their own copy and mail it to Eddie's home address.
Basic points would be:

1. 4-4-2 is total crap and we need to play 3-5-2 against top teams
2. The League 1 players need to go.
3. Transfer policy has been crap so please pull your head out of your whatever and bring in a (1) strong midfielder (2) target man (3) right back, etc.
4. Ibe is not PL quality; please don't play him
5. Please consult us on the Vitals forum before making any tactical changes in the future

I think this could bring about some real change. We could be top half by March if we get this going soon enough.

billythekid - 19/12/2017 12:19

I'm baffled that you can see a post on this thread that says we need a new manager, or are you trying to stir things up billy :upto:

red_house - 19/12/2017 12:30

I'm baffled that you can see a post on this thread that says we need a new manager, or are you trying to stir things up billy :upto:

Not direct saying it, but......

In no way do I think Howe should be sacked, but he is not immune from criticism. Eddie cannot live off of past successes like some do on here. He must adapt to the situation, realise when something is no longer working and change. The very best managers do this. Fergie would change backroom staff every so often to gain a fresh perspective. Now I'm also not suggesting JT or any of the other backroom staff be replaced, simply that Eddie needs to change his approach to this league if he wants to remain successful.

We have all known for sometime that playing a two man midfield against the big boys is going to end in tears, but Eddie has stuck to his guns even though this clearly isn't working. So why not change the formation, or why not try and bring in a DM to combat the weakness.

Yes he has a philosophy and a style of football he wants to play which is great, but there is nothing wrong with making tweaks here and there to keep us improving and moving forward. Persevering with something that isn't working just seems crazy.

I can see a few posters on the other thread that are sniffing around the question. In relation to your link Eddie may have a point. The criticism on here after Sunday wasn't just about 4-4-2 it was about effort and attitude.

If those players didn't try hard enough then whatever system he plays won't work.

What are the options - we go all Stoke or West Brom and bore our support to death ? No , what we want is for Eddie to recognise he's playing a top six team and adapt - not approach it in the same way as Palace.

Apart from the West Brom game, Liverpool have been on fire, it was park the bus time as we did against Spurs last season at home, City this season. These were the games that I thought Eddie had come of age but no, he's demonstrated that he's fallible, stubborn and on occasion a bit misguided. Very few managers are perfect.

No.

I don't think anyone is saying we need a new manager now. What is incredibly frustrating is the insinuation that just because you question some aspect of Eddie's management, you are demanding we appoint a new manager.

There really is no need for people to keep quoting all Eddie's achievements. Pretty certain all of us are aware of them! It doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to suggest improvements - even if most of our suggestions are rubbish!

red_house - 19/12/2017 12:46

I can see a few posters on the other thread that are sniffing around the question. In relation to your link Eddie may have a point. The criticism on here after Sunday wasn't just about 4-4-2 it was about effort and attitude.

Wasn't just meaning this thread.

Eddie was criticised by the pundits for carrying on his style of play in our first season in the PL, he stuck to his guns and belief. Some pundits were made to eat their words.

He or the club have been criticised for more than one season on transfer signings and our scouting.

Eddie for some reason or another didn't bring in the players/positions that some wanted. This season he has brought in Ake as a centre half/back and Ake has played well.

His defending at corners has been questioned, but he has persisted with it because he believes it's correct.

Only time will tell if Eddie comes around to agreeing with some of the comments made about his selections/formations or style of play and makes changes. Some wanted Arter dropped, we he did drop him,others wanted Arter back. Eddie can't please everyone.

He stands and falls on his decisions, the end of the season will give us the answer.

Eddie doing what he does kept us up in Year one and took us to 9th last season so why not be stubborn? You won’t survive as a manager at this level without a lot of stubbornness as well as being open to new ideas. I think Eddie has changed quite a few things over the last year but people keep going on about lack of plan b. Eddie has got a L1 team into the prem by creating an outfit where output exceeds sum parts. A stress on loyalty and familiarity has been key. This nearly beat Man Utd a few days ago ffs. We got stuffed by an outstanding display by Liverpool who were up for revenge. So let’s have some perspective. Time to remove some of the old guard but major surgery isn’t needed.

dragonm8 - 19/12/2017 12:04

Things have to a pretty pass when one equidae can possess another.....

https://www.animalwised.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-donkey-a-mule-and-an-ass-188.html

The real point Dragon, is what = success for you? Is it purely the result and let the quality of football go hang?

Liverpool won a lot of titles where back-passes to Clemence were de rigeur and Burnley are doing well with their particular flavour of football. Wimbledon won the cup by adopting a rugged style.

Given Howe doesn't play - and has never played - that particular style, why would anybody expect him to change?

Does he blame his players and trot out the 'I told them to play a certain way...' line? 'But the players aren't good enough?..' Who would relish turning up for work when the boss says you're not good at the job?

And if none our current starting 11 wouldn't be signed by any other PL club, why would anybody expect 11-players who COULD be signed by a n other PL club to come to Bournemouth? They're all immensely wealthy, so telling them to come and see the beach and forest next door, isn't actually going to jolt them into thinking 'oh yeah, must go to Bournemouth..' when they can just charter a private jet (or buy one) and fly off to somewhere in the world with a nice beach and more sunshine.

So if playing for the smallest club in the PL, with the smallest ground and the fewest training facilities doesn't appeal, who will come to replace our existing line-up?

Kids on loan from Chelsea? End-of-career-last-big-pay-packet-gamblers? Injury-prone players? Raw talent, not getting game time at other clubs maybe (Ibe and Ake) or top 2nd division talent, keen to improve such as Afobe.

I also think Wilson, Defoe and Ake would easily get another Prem club.

We're going to have to do it slowly now; we rocketed up the league under Howe and now we're at the pinnacle, it's facilities and money that draw the world's top talent. We have less of that than every other club in this division. New training facilites and a new ground, will give Howe more power to his elbow to attract the sort of players who want to play in Europe.

;