Eddie not in demand

King Spark

Plastic
I'm all for an article pointing out the near miraculous exploits of EH but not entirely sure of the premise here, that Eddie is hiding in plain sight when it comes to linking managers with vacant positions?

http://www.football365.com/news/eddie-howe-the-flavour-of-last-month-bournemouth-everton

....interesting article, this season is a defining one for Eddie, if we can finish in the top half of The PL then he would have done an amazing job. The transfers are a puzzle and not sure Mousset should be sighted (as he is a young investment IMO)...but yes Ibe, Rantie,Defoe, and Brad Smith haven't really worked out that well?

...that said we operate within tight budget so options are limited.

When you look at even the top clubs many of their transfers don't work out either, so not sure Eddie is any worse than some of his colleague at the top clubs?

No doubting that Dyche has done extremely well...but hasn't spent hugely?

The recycling of Allardyce, Moyes, pardew and Hodgson sums up a safety first approach from prem league owners ie keep us up and don’t mind the quality of football/lack of aspiration. Depressing.

This is actually quite a good article and raises some very good points... However...

"That sentiment is perhaps particularly pertinent given that Howe has already left Bournemouth in mid-season before, and subsequently failed. In January 2011 he left Bournemouth for Burnley, but lasted just 19 months before resigning and returning to the south coast."

I'd hardly say that Eddie "Failed" at Burnley, when you consider Eddie's replacement took them up, largely on Eddie's signings...

The reason why Eddie is not being touted for every job could be that they now know how Eddie works... Instant success is not his game... Eddie builds long-term and that is a luxury very few managers are awarded...

Plus, they know Eddie is more than comfortable in his current position... There is only so many times you can say "thx, but no thx..."

Garbo - 28/11/2017 15:15

...still a future England manager IMO
Well, if Eddie is in fact a "long-term" manager then how would the England job really be a fit for him?
The England manager doesn't oversee the players day-to-day as they build their skills and grow as professionals. He has almost no opportunities to teach them. And given that his squad will be changing all the time, it is very difficult to build a long-term sense of togetherness and team spirit, not to mention teaching the team to play the "Howe way".
On the one hand, I think it would be a huge honour for Eddie, but it would also likely be incredibly frustrating for him if it were ever to happen.

The glory days of promotion from the verge of extinction are fading slightly from the general public eye. Eddie is now an established PL manager but is still learning his trade. He is young enough to go much further, but maybe others are waiting to see how much further before committing.

"Still, working with a sporting director or head of scouting would suit Howe perfectly. He is a distinctly ‘foreign-style’ English manager, comfortable as a head coach rather than as the omnipotence of yesteryear that is still prevalent among the old guard of management."

I can't think of a manager less suited to working under a Director of Football.

While Eddie may be slightly under the radar in the national media at the minute, I very much doubt his star has faded with people inside football. As long as we stay at this level, you just know people respect him hugely. It could just be that clubs have figured out he wouldn't just leave for many other places right now, so don't even think it's worth an approach.

I think there are unanswered questions about Eddies ability to get the best out of big name players.

He didn’t do this at Burnley with their ex prem players well.

He ended up dropping Wilshere and Defoe and Murray and Marc Wilson were also established Premier Keague players that didn’t find a place.

It doesn’t bother us at Bournemouth but you can understand bigger clubs being more reticent. I think he needs to build another team here to gain true plaudits outside of us...who rightly revere him.

Pretty sure that his first task at Burnley was to get rid of those ex-prem players along with their prem salary's.
The signings he made for them were superb tbf.

Yes, but again, Burnley fans said they always had to score three to win. Another manager solidified them and took them up.

His status here is legendary for good reason. I think the games big teams will want to see more evidence before they approach him. It’s interesting when you talk to fans of other teams or listen to elements of the media that they have reservations.

Neil Dawson - 28/11/2017 23:04

It’s interesting when you talk to fans of other teams or listen to elements of the media that they have reservations.

West Ham /WBA/ Everton fans would/have gone plain mental with joy if he was appointed.

My guess is that they all gave up on asking as he's committed himself to us....

When you are truely poor every positive would be picked up upon - not us arguing Cook over Arter etc

The reason that Eddies name is not being linked with top jobs is because:-

1. He is still relatively young and inexperienced at the highest level.

2. They have cottoned on at last that he is quite happy where he is.

EfanEchoCool - 28/11/2017 20:41

"Still, working with a sporting director or head of scouting would suit Howe perfectly. He is a distinctly ‘foreign-style’ English manager, comfortable as a head coach rather than as the omnipotence of yesteryear that is still prevalent among the old guard of management."

I can't think of a manager less suited to working under a Director of Football.

That quote is ridiculous, obviously massively unaware that he actually has pretty much complete control from the top down. Just because he sets his team up like a Cruyff protege, and embraces continental coaching methods, doesn't mean he is a 'continental' manager. Such lazy journalism

I think the biggest test Howe still has to face is team evolution. He had a team that he coached incredibly effectively and they produced the results to get us to where we are. Sum of the parts and all that.
Leave it too long and run the risk of players dropping due to age/what it's taken out of them with no ready replacement.... too soon and risk upsetting a proven formula .
A delicate balance , the very best managers just know when the time is right and can keep a team consistent over a long period. Easier when you can sign the best players available.

Yes Redskins - agreed. The issue of evolution is with us now - and that's why the January transfer window is so important. We need strengthening in key positions and it would be unwise to wait again until the summer (notwithstanding the problems of the January window). One test for Eddie, after the disappointments with Ibe, Mousset etc, is his next round of signings, especially for midfield.

Odd that we've not even heard whisper about incomings, though plenty of chatter about outgoings ... Arter, Afobe, Grabban etc.

As far as I am concerned Eddie is in demand, by our club and he and Jason make a brilliant team.

Glad he isn't in demand by other clubs.

As for lifelong Everton fan, Eddie has always supported this club as well as come through the ranks at various levels, until he became our manager.

;