Eddie shaping a Club dynasty telegraph interview

Everything we want to hear and see happen being mentioned without explicitly saying that he thinks it's going to happen, merely that he wants to see it happen.

On the one hand, brilliant. On the other hand, terrifying. Fingers crossed!

As ever Eddie comes across well with his vision. Good to see that Harte, Elphick, Pitman and Camp are back in the squad too...I thought they'd moved on.

Last edited:
Everything we want to hear and see happen being mentioned without explicitly saying that he thinks it's going to happen, merely that he wants to see it happen.

On the one hand, brilliant. On the other hand, terrifying. Fingers crossed!
It would have been odd to even mention new facilities IF the Club is about to announce they have been cancelled.

So it sounds as though the training ground and stadium are still go and reading between the lines it is taking longer than Eddie and we would like. Am expecting the promised club statement to be along these lines. To be honest I prefer it if the club gets everything sorted before committing to anything rather than issuing half-arsed promises for things which may or may not be possible. So far this has always been Max’s way, so I have faith :bow:
Don’t think Max would play Eddie for a mug so this interview convinces me that all is progressing as promised :toot:

Doesn't sound to me like the training ground and new stadium plans have been canned

"Howe’s eyes especially light up at the prospect of a training complex that he could help design and would bring the first-team, development sides and academy under one base. "

Strange answer!
The design is already there. Just need someone to go in and lay some bricks?

"The hope is to build a new stadium within the current location at King’s Park, "

Not, "we are building a new stadium"

Depends how everyone interprets his words.

Can someone cut and paste the article for us non-subscribers please?

You can register for free. I just did.

It was exactly a decade on Tuesday since Bournemouth only survived in League Two after accepting a 17-point deduction amid a financial crisis that imperiled their very existence. This was a time when £25 in one of their many donation tins would be gratefully received and so it was all slightly surreal this week to see manager Eddie Howe marking the anniversary by welcoming a £25 million club record signing in Jefferson Lerma.
Still only 40 and the youngest of all Premier League managers, Howe actually also replaced Arsene Wenger this summer as the longest-serving at his particular club. And, although there will be those who wonder if Bournemouth’s have finally reached their ceiling following a first minor dip in league position for six seasons (from ninth to 12th), almost an hour this week in Howe’s company was sufficient to understand that he thinks rather differently.
Just as he was when he became the Football League’s youngest manager 10 years ago at a time of utter despair at Bournemouth, Howe is constantly working and thinking at two very different speeds. There is always Saturday and the next looming game, in this case against Cardiff City to begin a fourth top-flight season, but then there are those pivotal overarching decisions that will really only matter in the years, decades and conceivably even centuries to come. And, even after having already achieved so much, there is palpable excitement in Howe’s belief that a very different sort of quantum leap is now feasible over this next decade.
TELEMMGLPICT000042092076_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqaRL1kC4G7DT9ZsZm6Pe3PehAFAI_f6ud569StXyOKH0.jpeg

Player... manager: Eddie Howe (centre) in his on-field days with the Cherries CREDIT: TMG
“It’s pushing the club forward in a deeper sense,” he says. “Building a stadium, building a training ground. I know that these things costs millions and it is easier said than done but, for me, that’s the only way to go now. We want to keep moving Bournemouth forward into unchartered territory.

“We want to find ways to stimulate people, to keep everyone motivated, to keep progressing and improving. What’s the next thing that we can achieve now? We know the league position is not impossible to push forward but ever more difficult.
“It’s really important that we don’t stand still, that we maximise this period and we leave something for future generations that says: ‘We did the right thing. We made the right decisions when the sun was shining’.”
TELEMMGLPICT000042091894_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqaRL1kC4G7DT9ZsZm6Pe3PehAFAI_f6ud569StXyOKH0.jpeg

Details: Howe oversees all aspects of the club CREDIT: TMG
When Howe then talks of wanting Bournemouth to have something more tangible for this Premier League period than just the memories of some already famous victories against the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, the unspoken comparison with where he finished his playing career is obvious. Portsmouth had seven years in the Premier League but went down in 2010 not owning their training ground and still playing in the same dilipatated stadium.
Howe repeatedly stresses that he loves the environment in which he works, that he knows that the 11,360 capacity Dean Court ground can be a great advantage and that he wishes to impart no pressure either on his club or the local council. It’s just that he can also sense the opportunity that comes with Premier League participation and how Bournemouth is straining to grow.

The hope is to build a new stadium within the current location at King’s Park, while formal plans have been approved for a new training ground at Canford Magna that would allow all levels of the club to work together under one roof.
Howe knows that there are risks to such ambition - he can still recall playing for Bournemouth in front of crowds of 3,000 - but is still positively willing to cut short-term transfer budgets to support wider aims with so many long-term upsides. On the stadium, there would be an eventual financial lift for a club with the smallest Premier League matchday income. It would also be a selling point to potential new players and grow the fanbase in what is such a distinct catchment area.
“I don’t know if people outside the region appreciate how beautiful this part of the world is,” says Howe. “It’s a unique strength that is attractive to players, sponsors and fans. At the moment we are turning fans away but we want to get young people attached to the club, have as many supporters through the door as possible and grow Bournemouth’s name around the world.”
Howe’s eyes especially light up at the prospect of a training complex that he could help design and would bring the first-team, development sides and academy under one base. It would also help Bournemouth improve their academy status. “We do have good facilities but just not in a united location,” he says. “When I was coming through, the club was small and I was seeing Harry Redknapp training the first team. I was around people like Tony Pulis, Sean O’Driscoll and Mel Machin. I saw how they acted, how they trained, making me want more, and getting a taste of how hard it would be.”
TELEMMGLPICT000042091844_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqaRL1kC4G7DT9ZsZm6Pe3PehAFAI_f6ud569StXyOKH0.jpeg

Data: Howe monitors progress CREDIT: TMG
Rather like Wenger with Arsenal, Howe’s personality and also status at Bournemouth means that his involvement in such overarching club decisions simply feels natural. It is increasingly rare, though, to find managers whose work extends so holistically beyond the narrow confines of the training pitch and matchday touchline. Howe can certainly also sense that he has moved into a different phase in how he is perceived, even if there is an argument that his work has only had to keep improving.

“I can tell from the questions I get that I am not now viewed as the newest kid on the block,” he says. “Our story is known, we are expected to be safe, which is dangerous because we have no defined right to stay in the Premier League. And it gets harder. We found that every season. Last season was almost viewed in some respects as disappointing because we had been ninth. I didn’t waste time on it for myself, but for my staff and players it was important not to fall into the trap of thinking the same thing. We have to very clear about knowing the job internally because if you don’t give people a ‘well done’ it can become harder. I personally think it was our biggest season to date. I knew how difficult it was.” Howe also knows that the status of just about every Premier League club is “knife-edge” and believes that remaining consistently true to certain core principles has been the key to so far avoiding any serious relegation threat. “There are loads of details but it is about being strong to what we believe in ultimately,” he says. “Really strong about how we play, really strong in how we prepare, really strong in team spirit and really strong in making sure there are no bad egos.

Do we read this as Eddie poking the board to say 'we gotta do this', or as the club as a whole fronted by Eddie saying to everyone 'its under control'?

Hopefully the club will make a statement on Friday.
Wait, no, I have insider information. There WILL be a statement on Friday. You heard it here first!

;