Eddie's Solent Interview

Boscombe Cherry

First Team
In the spirit of over analysis:

Thought it was telling that he said there were two things that went wrong. 1. Not killing the game off and 2. Not playing with our 'spark' after going 3-1 down (or words to that affect). He was quite clear and said these were the two main issues. I don't disagree with these issues, but he only acknowledged the defensive issues when prompted. He almost seemed perplexed when asked what the issue was. He wasn't ignoring it, but it is quite obvious he still sees this as a lesser problem to most observers.

Whatever we all might think, don't expect us to go back to basics suddenly. I'm almost half expecting to see a new forward come in this week rather than a defender!

A second goal when we were all over them would have killed the game. A one goal lead is always dodgy.

I only listened to the game on Solent, it seemed we had them on the rack and we got the early goal. Went close after but didn't take the chances we had.

They equalised and it gave them heart and they sounded a different team then, attacking us and on top up to the half time whistle.

Second half they scored again and then made sure with the third.

A econd goal after our early first could have had the opposite affect and they would have lost confidence.

Fine margins.

Eddie isn't talking to the fans in his interviews he's talking to the players. What would be the point of saying "Mings wasn't up to it and I'm going to try and sign someone better" even if it's true he might miss his transfer targets and then he's relying on a player he's said is not good enough.

I was speaking to someone who interviewed Eddie earlier this year and they'd asked him the question "surely you were worried when your two record signings and main striker got badly injured last year?" During the interview EH said "No I had full faith in the squad I had to do the job" but afterwards off the record he said "of course I was worried but I'm not going to say that to the players". He was so not worried that he spent loads of cash as soon as he could in January - including Grabban who looks like he was signed for that half of a season only.

Last Jan our main problem was lack of forwards - he never said that but it was clear from his signings. This time it's clearly our defence. I'm sure he's aware of this but I wouldn't expect him to say it during interviews.

Boscombe Cherry - 15/1/2017 13:12

I'm almost half expecting to see a new forward come in this week rather than a defender!

We are supposed to have got good relations with Chelsea, they have an unsettled forward there, maybe he could do a job for us until the end of the season. Only problem I believe his manager said the player is out through injury. :grin:

I dont just the defence as our problem, our attacking line doesnt have the numbers, quality or consistency to score regularly. Wilson has been banished to the bench although he's probably our only out and out striker, afobe needs too many chances and king isnt regarded as a main striker. Grabban isnt even on the radar. Thats the lot. Not enough quality or strength, imo. We'll require major changes in a couple of years time, that's when i'll be worried.

;