England Ladies

First half was a bit of a mess, playing right into Porrugals hands. At times was like watching kids football with everyone chasing the ball round the pitch in confused chaos. Second half much better! Far more controlled. Always had Portugal at arms length.

And that was England's second string.

They should do well in the knockout stages. The French to come.

Must admit I never watch the womens game at all so will not pass judgement, but what level do people on here think the England womens team are at ? Div 2, non league pyramid somewhere, or is it just not worth trying to compare.

redharry - 27/7/2017 22:05

Must admit I never watch the womens game at all so will not pass judgement, but what level do people on here think the England womens team are at ? Div 2, non league pyramid somewhere, or is it just not worth trying to compare.

They'd probably be competative in under 12's leagues. No where near professional league standard, or non league for that matter. Too much of a gulf physically.

redharry - 27/7/2017 22:05

In the past 12 months the Australian women's national team lost 7-0 to the Newcastle Jets under 15 boys side while the US ladies lost 5-2 to the FC Dallas under 15 boys. Since the US are among the best in women's football, there really is no comparison to the men's game.

I didn't watch last night but watched a lot of the Spain game and thought it was decent. Of course women can't compete against men, in the same way as women tennis players or sprinters couldn't. It doesn't mean their games can't be entertaining.

You just can't compare the 2.

As drd says, it's like comparing apples with errrrrrrr....... melons.

The media are currently in love with womens sport, and why not?

Men have had it all their own way for decades.

Maybe it's because I don't know so much about the game, but womens cricket seems to be more entertaining than the football.

Obviously, in an ideal world, women should stick to sports that they excel at; like mud wrestling. :grin:

Women's football would be improved instantly if they played on smaller pitches.

Men's pitches are too big. It makes the pace of the game too slow, and means there's always massive gaps between the defence, midfield and attack, which causes the games to be scrappy and disjointed.

The goal frames being the same size as the men's game, whilst the female keepers are obviously smaller and slighter on the whole, results in some very odd goals being scored. A lot of odd goalkeeping particularly evident in the last few day's of games.

But I'm sure it'll improve.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 28/7/2017 09:26

I think its the BBC that have the love in with womens sport, shame they don't treat their staff with the same sort of equality.............

redharry - 28/7/2017 10:14

Ken Baileys Ghost - 28/7/2017 09:26

I think its the BBC that have the love in with womens sport, shame they don't treat their staff with the same sort of equality.............

:110:

Can't stand those who try and compare the men and women, in what world would they be the same?? We have different attributes obviously, so the way sport is played is going to be different. Totally pointless for anyone to say, well, it's not as good as men's football so lets have a laugh.

The fact is, we have all seen plenty of men's games that have been poor to watch too! Plenty of kick and hoof teams about, plenty of players who don't seem to be able to control a ball or have any vision about passing to each other!

If you watch women's football with an open mind, you will find plenty to enjoy. Of course there will be rubbish games and rubbish players! But get over that already. The best women's teams have lots of very good footballers and can present entertaining matches. Some of the goals scored by England in this tournament have been top quality, Jodie Taylor and Fran Kirby especially, proper goals by them.

So many sexist comments on social media - as if women shouldn't really bother. But we've seen recently, football, cricket and rugby, the women can do good. Shouldn't people be more supportive, especially to younger girls who want to give sport a go? Can't be any good for them to see comments suggesting they stick to the washing up at the first sign of a mistake!

Part of love affair with womens sport on BBC etc must be availability to terrestrial tv, subscription channels don't want them
Ive watched some of it, first goal last night was opportune and taken very well(following a major error by keeper). It is what it is, and with the all publicity, that will dispel any claims of lack of exposure being the reason people don't follow it. Personally, remain open minded and good luck to them, but I woulnt pay to watch the current standard(but they've got to start somewhere)

The woman's games has come on leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.
The 3 games have been good to watch (better then men's England team) and we got past group stage.
So how can some of you lot criticise their efforts so far.
It should be not be compared with the men's game - woman are smaller in general - it should be viewed independently.

;