ENOUGH WITH THE OVERLAPS!!

Def_II_Royalz

Star Player
God it's excruciating and totally ineffective.
Winger charges down the flank with ball, head down, gradually slows, starts looking around, waits for fullback to overlap basically level with the byline, who then pings it along the ground into a crowded box.

All it achieves is quickly knackering out the fullback whilst eliminating any space anyone could use to get in behind.

If there was a league forvsideways passing of 3 yards or more we would be so far in front it would not be fair. Please Mr Parker look at options if you have not got a plan b have you got an A 1/2

Between that and everyone being afraid to shoot from outside the box or anywhere really other then the 6 yard box

God it's excruciating and totally ineffective.
Winger charges down the flank with ball, head down, gradually slows, starts looking around, waits for fullback to overlap basically level with the byline, who then pings it along the ground into a crowded box.

All it achieves is quickly knackering out the fullback whilst eliminating any space anyone could use to get in behind.
How can we abandon our entire game plane?......its going to take Parker ages to think up another move..

I think the overlaps on the right have worked quite well in the league and that a good relationship between Stacey and Christie has helped to set up quite a few chances, not all of which have been finished as well as they should have been.

On the left, the relationship between Anthony and Zemura (with support from Billing) was one of the main reasons, in my view, that we had such a good start to the season, with both overlap and underlap(?) creating a lot of chances.

Of late both have less effect, perhaps due to the fact that many teams have sussed them out. However, for me, it is still probably our most effect way of attacking teams quickly, and retaining the ball. Otherwise we get the slow, ponderous build up, like we saw in the first half tonight, which ends with us giving the ball away.

Seems SP might be influenced by Southgatinhos garbage ..with the passing back and sideways malarkey...
Football is starting to get boring in the upper leagues...in danger of folk flocking to other Leisure pastimes...Non - League Footy is getting stronger by the year....

Last edited:
My main problem with it is whenever we seem to have a break on, instead of working to release a fullback into space, we just get closer and closer to the byline and then it's a guessing game as to whether Stacey or Zemura are going to be able to keep the ball in play or do an effective cutback. I agree that it was working really well earlier in the season but now it smacks of desperation.

Sorry, but i strongly disagree. Overlaps are crucial for the way we play and i love watching it pulled off properly. It enables us to overload the fullback, which should result in us beating him more often than not.

Sorry, but i strongly disagree. Overlaps are crucial for the way we play and i love watching it pulled off properly. It enables us to overload the fullback, which should result in us beating him more often than not.

Crucial for the way we play??

Are you talking about the last 10 games where we have won twice?

Our last win was most unconvincing, and was almost similar to todays display.

Lewis Cook continuously getting game time is what has worried me most about Parker.

The guy hasn't got a forward pass in him, has scored once in a bout 5 years and was still played in a more forward position than Marcondes.

His shot, against Boreham that ballooned over, was a testament to his accuracy in front of goal, and his overall play.

He had time, and space to at least test the keeper.

My main problem with it is whenever we seem to have a break on, instead of working to release a fullback into space, we just get closer and closer to the byline and then it's a guessing game as to whether Stacey or Zemura are going to be able to keep the ball in play or do an effective cutback. I agree that it was working really well earlier in the season but now it smacks of desperation.

The issue is it's execution, rather than the overlap itself. When attacking at pace it's a huge asset. But what we tend to do is overlap, then stop forward momentum while the winger and fullback pass it amongst themselves pointlessly for a few seconds. Sometimes we build the intensity in these "pointless" winger/full back passing sessions and excellently break the defensive line, but it's not often.

I actually think that EH reverting to more defense full backs was the main reason for our gradually worsening performances and ultimate relegation from EPL. I know the execution isn't always great but I'm still glad SP has brought it back.

Isn't this a limitation with playing inverted wingers they will drift in and rely on the full back to cover wide/crossing duties?

I know the wide area is lower value than the centre and crosses are one of the best ways to hand over possession with little threat but I like wide players playing as wide as possible to spread the opposing defence out.

The game was crying out for someone to drive through the middle of their slow centre backs.

Not sure there was the space to do it, out of possession the whole team didn't leave their half and if you got within arms reach they'd latch on like a limpet.

I think all you could do is spent as much time as possible in their box, try to cause a bit of chaos and give the referee some decisions to make.

;