Ex players who were shyte.

Agree that the top of the list should be players who had the biggest expectations and therefore I'd exclude loan signings and go for big money flops.

Rantie
Ibe
Tubbs

I think you have to give every player time though because it wasn't so long ago that Dom Solanke would be on a lot of people's list of expensive flops.

Its a difficult one as so much depends on your expectations at the time. When the club were shite (most of the time) then expectations were pretty low but we still managed to sign some dreadful ones.
When we sold Ted Mac expectations were very high and we signed Clark and Gibson who both totally underwhelmed after their first couple of games. Another like that was George Lawrence. Crap in a decent side.
Brian Clark did quite well for us eventually...as he had done at previous clubs..a steady prolific goalscorer...but following McDougall...heck !

I met Ian Gibson, a few years later at Christchurch Golf Course...he explained to me how awkward Bonds dressing- room atmosphere was to fit into.

I cant include Rantie...the guy really tried.

Boli
Demouge
Ibe.. obviously.

Everyone has their own reasons for their choices but Willie Huck was one of the best players in the side at the time.

Max Gradel in our first year ever in the Prem is a performance that puts him as a top 3 ex player who was shyte? Really?

In line with the OP I was "More excited than a kid at Christmas" to have him back after his first loan spell here. A player with undoubted ability and potential. Never lived up to that potential in the second spell. Tore a cruciate shortly after arriving and managed 25 mostly average appearances in 2 seasons, one goal, 4 assists. I know injury played a part but I was so disappointed with how it turned out with us.

Probably why I think of him as more of a flop than some of the more raw players like Ibe and Mousset who I could see had ability but had no real expectation of them to reach their potential. I genuinely thought Gradel would tear the PL apart.

In line with the OP I was "More excited than a kid at Christmas" to have him back after his first loan spell here. A player with undoubted ability and potential. Never lived up to that potential in the second spell. Tore a cruciate shortly after arriving and managed 25 mostly average appearances in 2 seasons, one goal, 4 assists. I know injury played a part but I was so disappointed with how it turned out with us.

Probably why I think of him as more of a flop than some of the more raw players like Ibe and Mousset who I could see had ability but had no real expectation of them to reach their potential. I genuinely thought Gradel would tear the PL apart.

Seems reasonable when you describe it like that. I do wonder how it would have panned out without that initial bad injury. I thought he looked great before that. Especially in the West Ham away game that we picked up our first PL points in.

Fair enough...still think its harsh on him mind you. I see it as the same as listing Defoe in his second spell. Never reached the heights we expected but just having him back pretty much book ending his career was worth the money (since it wasnt mine).

Donal Mcdermott

Perhaps harsh saying he was sh1te, but a shame he appeared to have a drink issue that overshadowed/had impact on his undoubted natural ability.

Coukd have achieved much, much more if he didnt have those demons to contend with.

Seems reasonable when you describe it like that. I do wonder how it would have panned out without that initial bad injury. I thought he looked great before that. Especially in the West Ham away game that we picked up our first PL points in.

He seemed to get his mojo back at Toulouse too. Shame we couldn't recall him after the loan but players have often mentally checked out by then.

Fair enough...still think its harsh on him mind you. I see it as the same as listing Defoe in his second spell. Never reached the heights we expected but just having him back pretty much book ending his career was worth the money (since it wasnt mine).

Yeah I'd say my excitement with Defoe was tempered by the fact that he was in his mid 30s by that point whereas Gradel was pretty much at his peak.

I wouldn't class Gradel as a rubbish signing by any stretch, but the most disappointing outcome from a signing in my time as a fan.

Christer Warren is the player that came to mind immediately. Not sure why as I don't think he was shyte particularly but if I remember correctly we spent a bit of money to bring him in as a forward from them up the road. He played a couple of matches there and then got switched to left back. I think he was highly rated at the time which may have got me excited in the beginning. word of mouth before YouTube clips etc

This is a positive thread;) Well, I'm gonna go for Anderton, Simpson and Nyland. Shite for us anyway.

Simpson was OK imo, for someone who was sporadically thrown into the team from time to time.

Not good enough for us in pl for sure, but sh1te is harsh imo. Product of youth too.

Decent backup for us in 2nd tier imo.

Anderton was far from shite. He even stayed fit.

Boli
Rantie
Defoe

Defoe was such a let down, especially running his mouth after he left running Howe down on YouTube channels. I don’t even sing his song now he’s walking around the touch line desperate for attention.

;