FA Cup 3rd round: best day in the sporting calendar?

EverHopeful

First Team
When the part-time pro's, the postmen, the plumbers, the chippies and accountants (not usually many of those, to be fair) collide with the big boys from the PL on bumpy pitches in front of hot dog stands.

Ah the shocks, the romance, the clichés.

Doesn't get much better than this!

Eastleigh to get past Brentford, anyone? Plymouth to shock Herr Klopp?

Can't wait..

I think the title of this thread gave it away. Used to be a great day but now it's four days so lose the impact of the games....plus a lot of top sides in prem and champ play weakened teams so any shock is lessened when you see the team line-ups.

The teams put out by WHU and MC are because they are playing eachother.
If either had been drawn against Fleetwood and the like it would be a very different XI

The FA cup is great. What's not to like?

Saying that someone asked me earlier what my favourite FA cup moment was as an AFCB fan... Errrr... slim pickings since I've been watching them.

I'm sure it was great Stan. Us younguns have got Accrington, Tamworth and Blythe Spartans to tell our grandchildren about.

Sh17, 33 years ago tomorrow.If you catch the video, look out for a handsome bloke by the corner flag just before the first goal is scored.

I'm nearby.

One time when the big clubs came in at this stage they fielded their best side, the FA Cup was the big one to win.

Now as we have seen with a number of clubs including ours and some in the lower leagues depending on their league positions they may not field their best teams.

The Champions League is the number one priority, followed by winning the Premier League as that is where the money is.

Teams chasing promotion in other leagues can see promotion is probably more advantageous than money gained in the FA Cup.

Unfortunately money from television which has changed the traditional day of the final and the last match of the season has changed to a later kick-off.

One time the day of the cup final started in the morning with various programmes building up to it.

Now money and football rule football whether we like it or not.

We're 9th in the league. We're not going down and we're not going to get into Europe. A perfect season the challenge for the FA Cup. I know it won't happen but I can dream.

stanthevan - 7/1/2017 09:07

We're 9th in the league. We're not going down and we're not going to get into Europe. A perfect season the challenge for the FA Cup. I know it won't happen but I can dream.

Far too early to say we are safe. look at our relegation in 1990 when we had an injury crisis. Losing ake will be a big blow and just need a few more injuries in defence to weaken us significantly.

What a difference thirty-three years makes. Teams would try to win every game (unless you were Alan Durbans Stoke City), players didn't need squad rotation (even though they were much less fit), and fans weren't obsessed with money.

Going back 4 years or more who would believe that AFCB losing a 3rd Round tie at Millwall would be described as the shock of the day!

Yep times have certainly changed.

;