Face masks

I basically agree with you completely. Even if it wasn't the law I'd wear a mask in a shop just out of curtesy for others. But... we've all been told how important it is when indoors and how little it matters outdoors. So being bullied into it when in an outdoor stadium just doesn't make sense and understandably gets people's backs up. Its anti-science.
Not so sure. I can well imagine that in those stands under the right conditions there would be a fair old mist of peoples' saliva hanging in the air, just waiting to be breathed in, if people were shouting and singing without masks on. It's debatable how "open" such a stand is. I would imagine that if you were up near the roof somewhere it wouldn't be very open at all. A stand is to all intents and purposes a three sided building, it's not really open.
I sympathise that being at a game and having to wear a mask might not be ideal but it is unlikely to totally ruin your day out ( unless your glasses steam up because of it ;) ) and it might just help yourself and others to stay healthy.

Its anti-science.

You can have your own opinion but its clearly not "anti-science"

m_jit210006t1_1614735399.85434.png

Conspiracy theories aside I got proper fed up yesterday. Stewards with nothing better to do than scream at people for daring to take a breath unmasked or (crime of the century) stand up. As for arriving at 4.15, completely bemused by it.

And after the game we could all go pile into a pub no probs.

Fair play to everyone on here loving the masks, each to their own. I probably won't go again until things are back to normal.
I think your main issue here is the way the stewards dealt with people. It sounds very heavy handed and of course such a thing would wind anybody up and indeed potentially spoil your day out.

Such measures can be enforced the right way or the wrong way. Unsurprisingly the club had stewards enforcing it who obviously enjoy the power trip and the opportunity to have a go at someone. That is unfortunate. I'm sure you wouldn't have found the whole experience quite so unpleasant had the club educated the stewards to be polite and show more consideration when enforcing the restrictions. There is a big difference between being told what to do in an aggressive manner and being politely asked to comply with the club's rules.
Stewards represent the club and for the club the fans are their customers.

I've not been to a match in eons but I'm guessing our stewards tend not to treat our fans as customers, which obviously they should be educated by the club to do !

Not a case of 'loving masks'...I've hated it....steamy glasses...not recognising people..the inconvenience..stuffy hot feeling.
But it was considered part of a National Combat against a Killer..that was the bottom line..
If tomorrow or sometime soon I was happy that everyone or at least 95% had been vaccinated...I'd be happy to drop the mask thing full stop.
I know a few people, including my wife, that insist on wearing one for evermore in public...the Pandemic plus Pollution issues across the World have swung them that way.
News reports from Delhi etc are scary and certainly set minds to alert in folk with existing ailments that involve breathing difficulties.

Increased Trade and therefore 'interaction' with people from India/China ... Our future 'geriatrics' could be in for some Fun... New Pandemics...to go alongside grief from Wars and Conflicts that are never going to go away completely.
Straighten your masks and get your brain cells mobilised..( those that have a bent for Denial)
Like the man said...." I Predict a Riot". :whistle:

I think your main issue here is the way the stewards dealt with people. It sounds very heavy handed and of course such a thing would wind anybody up and indeed potentially spoil your day out.

Such measures can be enforced the right way or the wrong way. Unsurprisingly the club had stewards enforcing it who obviously enjoy the power trip and the opportunity to have a go at someone. That is unfortunate. I'm sure you wouldn't have found the whole experience quite so unpleasant had the club educated the stewards to be polite and show more consideration when enforcing the restrictions. There is a big difference between being told what to do in an aggressive manner and being politely asked to comply with the club's rules.
Stewards represent the club and for the club the fans are their customers.

I've not been to a match in eons but I'm guessing our stewards tend not to treat our fans as customers, which obviously they should be educated by the club to do !
Do the stewards wear a number?

On an unrelated Covid issue. Anyone else spot David Brooks drinking from David Raya's lucozade bottle ?

Not great hygiene even without a pandemic.

On an unrelated Covid issue. Anyone else spot David Brooks drinking from David Raya's lucozade bottle ?

Not great hygiene even without a pandemic.

Yeah - saw that - a bit stupid really considering all the other procedures in place.

Wonder what Raya thought - that is if he saw it. Not sure he did as I think he was with an injured player at the time.

Not so sure. I can well imagine that in those stands under the right conditions there would be a fair old mist of peoples' saliva hanging in the air, just waiting to be breathed in, if people were shouting and singing without masks on...

I remember some fair old mists in the East Stand that no mask can protect you from :sick: and as far as I have read, saliva evaporates rapidly leaving most respiratory viruses aerosolised and airborne. Seems common sense a mask would slow this down, so they should definitely be worn if you are ill, but not sure they should be mandated for everyone.

Just to put my two pennyworth in - the stewards weren't heavy handed at all about mask wearing - the guidance given before and during the game is to wear a mask inside the ground at all times - people taking their masks off during the game was not part of the guidance. Why are stewards wrong to say 'keep your masks on'? If I sat next to someone who wasn't wearing one I would say something - don't blame it on the stewards - if the club are showing that we are adhering to the guidelines to get fans into the ground to watch games and looking at the TV footage it is blatantly obvious we are not following the guidelines - we may be told we cant let fans in. I know what I want to go - wear a mask be safe, consider others and watch my football team play.

;