Face masks

Gliese 436b emits loads of carbon monoxide and it hasn't died resevoir_red.

How can this be?

It's probably because the laws of chemistry don't apply to an exoplanet that is a gigantic solid rock of Ice burning on fire at 450% degrees mate.

There could well be a living race out there who breath in Carbon Dioxide and breathe out Oxygen like our Trees do because other dimensions have their own rules. There is also an exo planet that rainstorms house sized glass panels sideways, true story.

Interesting about the strange ice fire planet! The universe is fascinating and humankind barely understands our own planet’s needs, although we are waking up even if a little too late. I was wearing a Darth Vader Death Star mask (ok a twin filter builders mask) in Feb 2020 and getting weird looks months before masks were recommended. I hate wearing them now but it’s a small price to pay if it helps me and others avoid the plague. There appear to be two general schools of thought arising in this country from politicians and scientists. First is that we’re going to vaccinate our way out of the plague. Second is that social distancing is what’s really keeping the infection rate down. And yes a third perhaps that it’s a combination of both . My big concern is that there are selective pressures on the virus to mutate in any of the aforementioned examples. The virus doesn’t go away easily. We could easily end up with another uk variant of concern. Or from another country.... On the other hand it could mutate into something benign ( possibly more likely).

Jules, you sound like you watch the BBC News for all your info. Or have been blinded by the deliberately scaremongering adverts and headlines along the way.

Don't you think that if you've seen the evidence, then it would be helpful to point people in that direction? Lots of others do that on both sides of the debate.

Rob, I know you are an intelligent chap and I am therefore assuming you will be keeping up with the data most days. So you will surely have seen how few people are in hospital these days, how hardly anyone is dying from this anymore and how normal life really could be a thing today going by data and the science.

This 'article' does not provide scientific evidence (yes, I took the time to actually read it).

The 'article,' (actually a letter to the BMJ), although it makes some valid and interesting points, is the response to a longer and more thorough argument for the wearing of masks.

The letter concludes by asking for peer-reviewed (as is praxis) studies to be carried out to examine whether wearing masks are efficient in the current pandemic.

Have there been any studies that show that mask wearing is not effective at all or indeed detrimental? I ask because the heading and sub-heading to the BMJ editorial to which this letter is linked are:

Covid-19: should the public wear face masks?

Yes—population benefits are plausible and harms unlikely

Its all open to debate, that's the point. It's never ever been agreed universally and as Stu Seddon posts, much of the expert advice was that masks make no real difference either way. The science didn't change and yet the advice did.

So I think we are now at the stage where the mandate for masks and social distancing needs to go [ ie: giving people the personal choice ]. The current data says this can be done quite safely [ there was a report out yesterday regarding recent events and that being inside at a gig would be no more risk than being inside a shop ].

As getting back to a normal life is surely what people want and that the data and science shows it can now happen, I am not sure why many are still clawing around for excuses to stop this? I can only assume these people have been taught by the scary headlines that this should happen.

Its all open to debate, that's the point. It's never ever been agreed universally and as Stu Seddon posts, much of the expert advice was that masks make no real difference either way. The science didn't change and yet the advice did.

So I think we are now at the stage where the mandate for masks and social distancing needs to go [ ie: giving people the personal choice ]. The current data says this can be done quite safely [ there was a report out yesterday regarding recent events and that being inside at a gig would be no more risk than being inside a shop ].

As getting back to a normal life is surely what people want and that the data and science shows it can now happen, I am not sure why many are still clawing around for excuses to stop this? I can only assume these people have been taught by the scary headlines that this should happen.

I saw that story, found the link
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...g-shopping-trials-reportedly-suggest-12310556

Maybe I’m being harsh but I’m suspicious it’s a lot to do with staying home on 80% wages eating takeaway and watching Netflix’s as a lifestyle choice .

Rob, I know you are an intelligent chap and I am therefore assuming you will be keeping up with the data most days. So you will surely have seen how few people are in hospital these days, how hardly anyone is dying from this anymore and how normal life really could be a thing today going by data and the science.
That wasn't what I asked for evidence of. Just to be clear, you wrote:

"Either way, I have just seen yet more stats that show everyone is now as protected as they can be, that needs protection and that rates are now so low, that all social restrictions could end today and we would all be just fine".

I don't want to drag this out, as I know we are both coming at this from different viewpoints. But I do not believe that "everyone" is yet as protected as they can be, and your conclusion that if we stopped restrictions then all would be ok.

I do agree that restrictions should and could be eased, but you've been calling for that long before things started getting better. Also I feel that as long as we dont get complacent then things could move closer to 'normality'.

So I think we are now at the stage where the mandate for masks and social distancing needs to go [ ie: giving people the personal choice ].
The big problem with this philosophy is that personal choice is not normally for the greater good but only for the benefit of that individual. In times of crisis you don’t think personal choice ie. selfishness, is worth sacrificing ?

The big problem with this philosophy is that personal choice is not normally for the greater good but only for the benefit of that individual. In times of crisis you don’t think personal choice ie. selfishness, is worth sacrificing ?

We are not at a time of crisis now.

That wasn't what I asked for evidence of. Just to be clear, you wrote:

"Either way, I have just seen yet more stats that show everyone is now as protected as they can be, that needs protection and that rates are now so low, that all social restrictions could end today and we would all be just fine".

I don't want to drag this out, as I know we are both coming at this from different viewpoints. But I do not believe that "everyone" is yet as protected as they can be, and your conclusion that if we stopped restrictions then all would be ok.

I do agree that restrictions should and could be eased, but you've been calling for that long before things started getting better. Also I feel that as long as we dont get complacent then things could move closer to 'normality'.

The data shows it *could* happen today. Pretty much everything we were told that needed to happen first, has already happened. We were told 15m vaccines to protect the most vulnerable would lead to 'freedom', we are now around 50m. We already knew people that are generally fit and healthy had good levels of natural immunity without a vaccine. That is still the case.

Basically, we have all done everything we have asked already. And the data has shown for many weeks now that the risk out there is about as tiny as it could be, unless people want zero covid.

Maybe I’m being harsh but I’m suspicious it’s a lot to do with staying home on 80% wages eating takeaway and watching Netflix’s as a lifestyle choice .

I am fairly certain that most wanting restrictions to remain, are either those not really ever affected by them or those who have been blinded by the propaganda spewed by parliament [ I include Labour in this ] and the media.

I can’t be arsed to generalise. Good and bad in all generations. It’s the way it tends to work.

Obviously if your talking about a generation of people your generalizing , just as when you talk about a race , a religious group or a gender . If your really going to call a statement “ pathetic “though at least come out with some kind of counter argument .

;