Football, oil, money.

purbeck67

First Team
Manchester City win the EPL. Or should that be Manchester City win the EPL*

More than 100 charges have been brought against the club. Hire the world's elite manager. Buy the world's elite players. Hire the world's elite coaches and buy the infrastructure.
Pay for an academy and pump millions into the area so that you can say it is all just to help a poor inner city area.

And why would Abu Dhabi do this? A long term attempt to move from their oil based economy? Recreate yourself as a hospitality, leisure and sport based hub?
And Qatar buy FIFA so they can host the World Cup. Saudi Arabia buy Newcastle. Qatari bankers hover over Manchester United.

Abramovich needed to get his money out of Russia, so he buys Chelsea. He can pump millions and millions of investment into them and suddenly it's clean money.
We are not faultless. We got lucky, we traded up from a local builder to foreign investment and now hopefully more ethical funds from American sports entreneurs.

And what is the end game? It's not obvious yet?

But I don't think we'll ever see a team like Ferguson's 90s side built from a youth team (with investment) winning major titles, Eddie Howe' side rose through hard work and innovation, repeated by Luton. But Luton or Coventry will set their sites on survival by one point in the EPL.

Is that really something to aspire to?

Manchester City win the EPL. Or should that be Manchester City win the EPL*

More than 100 charges have been brought against the club. Hire the world's elite manager. Buy the world's elite players. Hire the world's elite coaches and buy the infrastructure.
Pay for an academy and pump millions into the area so that you can say it is all just to help a poor inner city area.

And why would Abu Dhabi do this? A long term attempt to move from their oil based economy? Recreate yourself as a hospitality, leisure and sport based hub?
And Qatar buy FIFA so they can host the World Cup. Saudi Arabia buy Newcastle. Qatari bankers hover over Manchester United.

Abramovich needed to get his money out of Russia, so he buys Chelsea. He can pump millions and millions of investment into them and suddenly it's clean money.
We are not faultless. We got lucky, we traded up from a local builder to foreign investment and now hopefully more ethical funds from American sports entreneurs.

And what is the end game? It's not obvious yet?

But I don't think we'll ever see a team like Ferguson's 90s side built from a youth team (with investment) winning major titles, Eddie Howe' side rose through hard work and innovation, repeated by Luton. But Luton or Coventry will set their sites on survival by one point in the EPL.

Is that really something to aspire to?

Yes, because despite all the odds being stacked against them, somehow they survive and stick two fingers up at the super-rich clubs. That's how I felt at Chelsea in 2015, when we beat Liverpool in 2016, and just a few weeks ago when we beat the pampered stars of Tottenham in their deluxe corporate HQ.

In total, Mansour has spent about $1.5m on Man City. The club is now valued at $4.25bn (Forbes estimate). It's been an incredible piece of business.

As fans we have no control over the owners in the sport. Those owners will become more and more the face of the teams due to money. We've seen it with our own club moving to a more american ownership style. Foley was awarded the Premier League performance of the weekend award a couple of weeks back because the team won survival.

All we can hope is that those in control take the relevant steps to ensure the integrity of football. Sadly I do not think Chelsea will be the last.

In total, Mansour has spent about $1.5m on Man City. The club is now valued at $4.25bn (Forbes estimate). It's been an incredible piece of business.

Does that include the purchase price and money funneled through other companies to work around FFP?

If so that is incredible business acumen. I didn't think it was possible to make money from football.

Saudi bought Newcastle for such a good price if you ask me. The club had so much potential - just needed some to spend money and rebuild it. If they were to sell the club now with only investing approx $150m they have probably doubled their money in 18 months.

I suppose if clubs can get away with pushing the rules they will do what they like.

Everyone does it in their own way.

Is it fair - probably not but City fans won't care.

Does that include the purchase price and money funneled through other companies to work around FFP?

If so that is incredible business acumen. I didn't think it was possible to make money from football.

That was the number I saw for net spend of players and infrastructure. I’d presume it includes the money coming from the companies he owns such as e& as well but not sure. Either way there’s enough money there for it to have been insanely profitable.

Do you mean $1.5 bn?

Yes I did, whoops.

That was the number I saw for net spend of players and infrastructure. I’d presume it includes the money coming from the companies he owns such as e& as well but not sure. Either way there’s enough money there for it to have been insanely profitable.

Yes I did, whoops.

Not like they need the money either, do they?

Saudi bought Newcastle for such a good price if you ask me. The club had so much potential - just needed some to spend money and rebuild it. If they were to sell the club now with only investing approx $150m they have probably doubled their money in 18 months.
Abu Dhabi saw that potential, but apparently went for City as Manchester had an international airport...

Can see the sense in that if it's 100% true.

The Saudis and Qatar can buy anything and anybody they want....just a pity that they chose to get involved with football....money is power....mega money is ultimate power and influence....

Man City will NEVER be punished and the future looks bleak for competitive football in this country...

Newcastle will be their only challengers in reality as it stands once they really know how to bend the rules like City have..

Chelsea have exposed FFP loopholes and so it will manifest itself for the future...

How long before Man Utd..Liverpool...Arsenal..Tottenham are owned by oil rich middle eastern countries or Chinese conglomerates?

Even the American investors cannot compete in the longer term...

The Saudis and Qatar can buy anything and anybody they want....just a pity that they chose to get involved with football....money is power....mega money is ultimate power and influence....

Man City will NEVER be punished and the future looks bleak for competitive football in this country...

Newcastle will be their only challengers in reality as it stands once they really know how to bend the rules like City have..

Chelsea have exposed FFP loopholes and so it will manifest itself for the future...

How long before Man Utd..Liverpool...Arsenal..Tottenham are owned by oil rich middle eastern countries or Chinese conglomerates?

Even the American investors cannot compete in the longer term...
They might have billions but they still lose to teams like AFCB.

;