Franno/A Smith to drop to the bench?

Danny11

First Team
Forget today's result, it was almost a freebie.

Saturday however is massive. Assuming Ake comes back into the starting 11, I feel Francis or Adam Smith have to drop out. Since Smith has been playing in midfield, we have become less and less creative and we are conceding loads of goals.

It's not all down to Smith and Francis of course and we can all debate who should play where, but I don't see Ake, Franno or A Smith can all play in the same 11.

I think Francis at right back is somewhat of a liability. At centre half he's fine, but he is 2 slow over the first couple of metres and gets done several times per game. I'm absolutely shocked Eddie has persisted with him so long at right back.

Interesting to see what the reaction is like on Saturday.

Anything other than a convincing win against a very poor Swansea team and the tinkling of alarm bells will start to be heard.

Swansea will be desperate for a result against us. We've be turned over by Burnley, Boro and Sunderland recently so this will be one they'll really be up for and hoping to use as a chance to kickstart their season.

I really think we have to go in on the front foot with three three proper attacking wide players. I understand the Smiths today but neither of them should start in that position against Swansea.

I'd go with:

Boruc

A Smith Cook Ake Daniels

Surman Arter

Fraser Stanislas

Wilshere

King

I suspect Wilson will start though and King will be shoved out wide again on one of the sides.

Grumpy G - 26/12/2016 18:26

Interesting to see what the reaction is like on Saturday.

Anything other than a convincing win against a very poor Swansea team and the tinkling of alarm bells will start to be heard.

There wasn't much wrong with today other than the result.

I'm not worried about Swansea after that showing.

Nobody should worry about Swansea.

My mate has just texted me from their game v West Ham to tell me he won't meet me because he is not going. He said they are so abject it's untrue...

We have to win it convincingly and I think we will.

Franno has not had a good season so far. Has been ecplised by Cook at the back who I consider to be the player of the season so far. In the previous two seasons I would have typed this statement the other way round.
Can't see Eddie ever dropping Franno though as some have suggested. Not his style. Interesting thought though if he did.
Who would be captain?
Cook, Arter?
Maybe even Jack?

Second season in a row when the captain does not feature in the second half of the season.

Since Arter was hailed as the in form midfielder in the premier league, which was about 6 weeks ago, he's gone off the boil.
He's not getting those tackles in, his passing is square or backwards and his shooting boots have gone missing.
But with Cook injured who could take his place?

IMHO Steve Cook is the next cab off the rank when it comes to the captaincy.

and ref
red_house - 26/12/2016 19:07

There wasn't much wrong with today other than the result.

I agree. Chelsea are on fire at the moment with 12 wins in a row. EH tried to match their formation, and until we conceded the 2nd, we were right in that game. But for that near-worldy and a bit of luck up front, we could easily have gone in level.
Sky pundit saying at the end of the highlights that it wasn't a 3-0 game.

;