Funny Old Game

Toronto John

Fans' Favourite
I believe that these types are observations are in another thread, but I tried to search to no avail. So, this can be merged if it is more appropriate.

Was watching CL yesterday. As with every game, there was cheating, faking, whining, questioning calls, sideline histrionics, misplaced throws and free kicks, and the like.

But when a player went down with injury, the opponents kicked the ball out of play and it was politely returned to them after the injury was sorted.

What would happen if a team plays the ball rather than return it?? Seems like it is just another form of cheating. But I'll bet the aggrieved team and coaches would go absolutely nuts.

Always amazes me that players don't play on until the ref blows the whistle.

How many times have we seen a mortally wounded player stop the game only to get up and run off once play has stopped. Funnier is how many times players turn into Lazarus when they reailse the game isn't going to stop and their team is one man down. Looking at you City on both accounts.

It is all there for the ref to manage the game and cut out the play acting they just don't do it.

I would go further and change the rule. If a physio has to come on the pitch the player gets substituted to be on the safe side. Does a Physio ever perform a miracle that actualy cures a player's injury on the pitch ?

Run the injury off or get off. Not as catchy a slogan as Kick It Out but it's a start.

Unless it is completely obvious that the game must be stopped immediately for a serious injury then play should continue until the referee decides to stop it. That is what he is there for. I am sick and tired of players feigning injury to allow their team to get a break in play and reorganise. I think it was Everton at DC the other week. There were 3 times in the second half when Everton had a corner, we headed it clear and immediately an Everton player flopped to the floor in agony to get the game stopped and allow his team mates to retreat upfield and get organised. It is cheating pure and simple, thankfully the ref got wise to it against Everton but did the scousers whinge, my god what do you think. Dyche ball at its best.

Unless it is completely obvious that the game must be stopped immediately for a serious injury then play should continue until the referee decides to stop it. That is what he is there for. I am sick and tired of players feigning injury to allow their team to get a break in play and reorganise. I think it was Everton at DC the other week. There were 3 times in the second half when Everton had a corner, we headed it clear and immediately an Everton player flopped to the floor in agony to get the game stopped and allow his team mates to retreat upfield and get organised. It is cheating pure and simple, thankfully the ref got wise to it against Everton but did the scousers whinge, my god what do you think. Dyche ball at its best.
Odd how that never seems to happen when a team is in a losing position .......

Does seem like a relic from the old "gentlemanly conduct" days.
The game should be stopped by officials and a free kick awarded to the other side.

If the injury was genuine then you're trading the disadvantage of being a man down for possession if it wasn't you're being punished for feigning injury.

;