"Game management"

Game Management is the equivalent of the "professional foul". Dressing it up to make it seem acceptable.

Game Management is the equivalent of the "professional foul". Dressing it up to make it seem acceptable.

I don't think 'professional foul' is to dress anything up, it's to justify a more severe punishment.

A non-dangerous foul in the middle of the park is usually just a free kick, unless it's a professional foul, i.e. deliberately carried out to stop a breakaway chance, in which case it's a booking.

Same reason that dogso is a red no matter how slight the actual challenge might be.

It's been suggested before but Football could learn a lot from Rugby referees:

- Enforce the existing rules.

- Only captains talk to the Ref.

- Ref calls "Use it" and you have 5 seconds to get on with the match from a restart e.g. throw in.

Other suggestions:

- Keepers get a strict 6 seconds to hold the ball.

- Players falling over for a foul and grabbing the ball to force a decision get a yellow card. You don't accidentally grab the ball.

- Kick the ball away you get a card.

- 5 seconds to get 10 yards away from a freekick. Even I can do 10 yards in 5 seconds.

- Unless it is an obvious serious injury (Blood, bones or unconscious) play continues. Trainer allowed to tend to players on the pitch during play.

- Injured by the by line you crawl or roll off the pitch. Red card if you are off the pitch and roll back onto the pitch to stop play.

- Cumulative yellow cards. If a team takes turns to commit fouls to avoid any one player ticking up enough fouls for a card, the captain gets the yellow.

- Ball in play clock. Match lasts 90 minutes at least 70 minutes of which the ball must be in play. Not sure of the record here but I'm sure someone gave the stat that the ball is only usually in play for approx 65 minutes per match.

Yes I know we are also guilty of these things but it would improve the spectacle if players were actually playing football. I pay to watch football not "Game Management".

I'd like to see throw-ins reversed and goal kicks tuned into corners if a player takes an excessive time to restart the game. Would put an end to some teams taking 45 seconds to take goal kicks.

Remember one game against Burnley, we spent 5 mins of the second half just watching their keeper waste time over goal kicks.

As for the six-second rule... why oh why is it almost never enforced? I can only think of one occasion - a few years ago the Liverpool keeper (Mignolet?) was penalised (after 21 seconds I think!) and Leicester scored from the resulting indirect free kick - when it was enforced.

I'd like to see a return to the advancing of 10 yards for free kicks if the opposition deliberately stop a team taking a free kick, or who do not move away when told do by the referee.

its a curse, they're all it. I noticed when we were "celebrating" our goal last home game, all the talk in the huddle seemed to be 'stay here for a bit" rather than proper celebrating, then phil bill popped out of the huddle to kick the ball a bit further away.

- Ref calls "Use it" and you have 5 seconds to get on with the match from a restart e.g. throw in.

Other suggestions:

- Players falling over for a foul and grabbing the ball to force a decision get a yellow card. You don't accidentally grab the ball.

- 5 seconds to get 10 yards away from a freekick. Even I can do 10 yards in 5 seconds.

- Unless it is an obvious serious injury (Blood, bones or unconscious) play continues. Trainer allowed to tend to players on the pitch during play.

- Injured by the by line you crawl or roll off the pitch. Red card if you are off the pitch and roll back onto the pitch to stop play.

- Cumulative yellow cards. If a team takes turns to commit fouls to avoid any one player ticking up enough fouls for a card, the captain gets the yellow.

- Ball in play clock. Match lasts 90 minutes at least 70 minutes of which the ball must be in play. Not sure of the record here but I'm sure someone gave the stat that the ball is only usually in play for approx 65 minutes per match.

Yes I know we are also guilty of these things but it would improve the spectacle if players were actually playing football. I pay to watch football not "Game Management".

Not a big fan of rugby comparisons but there's some great general points here, particularly in relation to injuries, they've become a cynical part of tactics and it's a dreadful spectacle.

Sin bin might also work for orange card type fouls or excessive timewasting.

Other suggestions:

Derby did it massively against us. I think we should have a sinbin as an alternative to a red for less serious offenses. Too many reds these days.

What I struggle to understand is how the authorities can allow shirt pulling and players being wrestled to the ground throughout every game but crack down on the much rarer offence of handball.

The goalie thing. The Kidderminster goalie against WHU held the ball for ages in the early stages of the game. Once for 26 seconds.

I think a lot of us would like to see the introduction of the sin bin - that is until we see how the FA and refs manage to completely f#ck it up.

Well the sin bins are in place in the lower reaches of football (up to step 5 I think) - but for dissent only I believe. However, from the Wessex League games I watch they are not used as much as they probably should be given the mouthing off officials seem to get, and I have not often seen them used.

What I struggle to understand is how the authorities can allow shirt pulling and players being wrestled to the ground throughout every game but crack down on the much rarer offence of handball.

I am hereby copyrighting the idea of footballers wearing paper shirts. No doubt about when there has been shirt pulling. Not so great in the rain.

Alternatively shirts with velcro seams. Players would literally have their shirts torn off.

How is it legal for defenders to literally have an opposition player in a bear hug at corners ?

I understood the 6 seconds for a goalie to put the ball back in play, has been rescinded.

I did notice, during our last home game, their 'keeper carried the ball beyond the 18-yard line - deliberate handball - on several occasions.

I understood the 6 seconds for a goalie to put the ball back in play, has been rescinded.

If so there must be some time limit.

Should also have goal kicks taken from the nearest corner of the 6 yard box. No more of the keeper going to whichever is the opposite side to take the kick.

Whoever picks up the ball takes the throw in.

Player substituted leaves by nearest route to the edge of the pitch. I know it is already a rule but never enforced.

Other suggestions:

can't argue with any of that, plus orange card 10 min sin-bin for professional "take one for the team" fouls
players sitting down and calling for treatment is a joke and needs to be stamped out
constant time wasting is killing the game as a spectacle

Law 12
Delaying the restart of play Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by: • appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take • delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted • excessively delaying a restart • kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play • taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake

;