Gary O'Neil

A fair post, however for me, under GON we're either really quite good, or utter crap... There seems to be no middle ground... most fans will of course take losing games, it's the performances that mean more...

You get teams like Brentford, Fulham, BHA, that are solid sides and will generally be decent, despite losing their share of games also...

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I can't help but feel that come the end of the season, if we survive it will be amazing, given some of the beatings and bad runs we've had... This season has been unprecedented in how many teams are in the relegation mix, and that has been our saving grace... In PL seasons gone by, we would probably have been cut a drift a while ago...

I just feel if we stay up, we'll have not stayed up because we're a good side... It will be more to do with the number of crap teams in this league which has meant we've not needed to be that good to do a job.

Yep. It’s all down to one new player folks. A forward who has thundered in a grand total of one goal. He is also the pick of the six new signings having started more games than the rest of them put together…you couldn’t make this stuff up you really couldn’t. Still it’s keeping me amused.
Its a mixture, I note you left out his assists, but we now have options from the bench or if we have injuries, that we didn't before Jan.
Vina scored at spurs. Every teams first eleven is probably good enough to stay up. But you don't seem to recognise that players get injured.
Once 3 or 4 from our first 11 got injured we had significantly inferior back ups and dev squad members on the bench.
You seriously think we were strong enough with Dom, tavs and neto out?

Yep. It’s all down to one new player folks. A forward who has thundered in a grand total of one goal. He is also the pick of the six new signings having started more games than the rest of them put together…you couldn’t make this stuff up you really couldn’t. Still it’s keeping me amused.

Lol, Dango has contributed directly to four goals worth eight points, without which we would have a worse points per game than we had before he arrived. The others have contributed in one way or another and have added to the strength in depth and Gary's ability to change things from the bench. One of the reasons we've won points from the

Look at our bench now compared to the games you are criticising Gary for not getting points from before we strengthened in January.

Lol, Dango has contributed directly to four goals worth eight points, without which we would have a worse points per game than we had before he arrived. The others have contributed in one way or another and have added to the strength in depth and Gary's ability to change things from the bench. One of the reasons we've won points from the

Look at our bench now compared to the games you are criticising Gary for not getting points from before we strengthened in January.
But he did get points before we strengthened in January as others have pointed out. While working out how to do his job and what the tactics should be as others have pointed out. Outtara replaced Anthony who has scored a couple of times this year and is a decent player as I think we all agree. I don’t believe results would have been different had Anthony played instead of him tbh, he hasn’t contributed much and isn’t even deemed worthy of a start at the moment.

But he did get points before we strengthened in January as others have pointed out. While working out how to do his job and what the tactics should be as others have pointed out. Outtara replaced Anthony who has scored a couple of times this year and is a decent player as I think we all agree. I don’t believe results would have been different had Anthony played instead of him tbh, he hasn’t contributed much and isn’t even deemed worthy of a start at the moment.
You don't think the spurs result would have been different without him, or the Liverpool one?

So now we can't even count Dango's goals because someone else might have scored or assisted? I suppose you're right, when you think of it Dom didn't really help us last season because someone else probably would have scored 30 if he wasn't playing.

He got points before yes but he struggled to get points at times when our best players were out and he didn't have decent replacements. He had very little ability to change things from the bench during these periods either. The available squad has been much stronger since January and our points tally reflects this.

It's really not complicated. O'Neil has obviously made his mistakes but he's also done well given the availabile resources he's had.

Gary O'Neil has played in the Premier League.

We have not...we can't possibly have any better idea of how to set up a group of players, whom he has spent the week with in training, for a game in that league !
He will know their weaknesses ..and importantly their individual moods and attitudes in the days leading up to the game...can't anyone see that.
He can also utilise that ambient knowledge with what he has in mind with the substitutes.

But he did get points before we strengthened in January as others have pointed out.

As Delboy pointed out he got 0.84 points per game before the squad was strengthened in January and has averaged 1.3 points per game since then. Including games against Man City, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

Whilst I know you can’t bring yourself to admit that the recruitment by Hughes and Blake could have been any good or contributed to the improvement in any way, perhaps you could acknowledge that, as a matter of fact, results have improved?

As Delboy pointed out he got 0.84 points per game before the squad was strengthened in January and has averaged 1.3 points per game since then. Including games against Man City, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

Whilst I know you can’t bring yourself to admit that the recruitment by Hughes and Blake could have been any good or contributed to the improvement in any way, perhaps you could acknowledge that, as a matter of fact, results have improved?

He's moved on quietly from slagging off the summer signings quite so vociferously. Imagine where we'd be without them.

Even an 'experienced' manager would have struggled to get much out of what was a grossly overrated squad...Bristolcityish on a good day.
It's f√cking weird..one of the most promising players for years at DC doesn't get a look in. Stacey..had we given him a decent run in the side , we'd have an accomplished PL player now, just right to take over from Smithy!
I noticed things going downhill just after Yems left...he must have had some added value over the period on Howes staff.
Then two other fairly decent anglers, JW and JT fell foul of the Afcb Forum Elite...with grossly unfair attrition.
But wtf do I know.. .just subjective nonsense ?
I drone on, mercillously....:wack:
Parker somehow galvanised a few tricks out of what he inherited..enough to squeeze out of the English '2nd Division'...then used the elevation to promote some w@nkers clothing range..the silly bugger..taking his eye off the ball a few games into the new season..hey ho we are where we are now with, thankfully, a guy whose head is screwed on quite tight..but once again aggravating the Elitists in the BH post-code...who can't seem to realise that we are still punching above our weight on and off the pitch.
Once we climb out of this mess in a few weeks...it's immediately over to Mr Foley re - Stadium, 'Training Ground' and 'Football Town'...Issuei !
And I'll be 'On It' ...oh yes Batman !
Jesus christ man....things gone downhill since Yems left ....Stacey one fo the most promising players at DC in years ???? You really have lost the plot....all about opinions ...but come on.....just what imput did Yems have ?

Parker should, and was, sacked for saying what he said. Whether or not he believed it it's not something that should have ever been voiced in front of the players. The fact that he chose to do it to the media is even more egregious. Saying he was right is no defence as he was our manager, not a pundit.

Parker should, and was, sacked for saying what he said. Whether or not he believed it it's not something that should have ever been voiced in front of the players. The fact that he chose to do it to the media is even more egregious. Saying he was right is no defence as he was our manager, not a pundit.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter if he was right or not it was an outrageous thing to say that could only be a deliberate ploy to get sacked. Of course it was always going to be an uphill battle with our squad as it was at the time but it wasn't impossible and needed a leader who believed in the cause. If O'Neil is nothing else he's at least someone who has given it his best.

He's moved on quietly from slagging off the summer signings quite so vociferously. Imagine where we'd be without them.
Have I? I think we’d have been better with different signings. Fredericks has brought nothing, Stephens is bang average and not trusted until recently, Senesi is sluggish but has decent elements, Neto doesn’t command his box at set pieces but is a good shot stopper and Tavernier has been excellent. Rothwell has started four games out of 32. Four out of the six signings were defenders and a goalkeeper and we have the worst defensive record in the league. You dress that up how you want Del.

It is the core players that have given us a chance.

You don't think the spurs result would have been different without him, or the Liverpool one?
Who knows? He is a forward with 1 goal and 4 assists in 13 appearances. It’s therefore not easy to argue that he is essential to us winning anything. He had also cost us more games with wild blazing misses. We are not talking Calum Wilson in our promotion season or Josh King the year he tore the league apart are we. Anthony has won us games this year with calm late finishes. I don’t think our points tally would be that much different had he played all those games. Neither are deemed good enough to start at the moment.

Jesus christ man....things gone downhill since Yems left ....Stacey one fo the most promising players at DC in years ???? You really have lost the plot....all about opinions ...but come on.....just what imput did Yems have ?

It must have been some input from him, Yems, to be employed and paid ! I don't have any deep knowledge of his tenure..nor do you!
From what i've seen on film of Stacey for Luton and Boscombe...he is worthy of my reference to him ...but yes that's only an opinion.
As far as ' losing the plot' is concerned. - that seems to be the common default position in response by someone to someone else when not in agreeance with a post...a common and ignorant weakness on this mainly elitist Forum...and why I'm so so f√cking cantankerous much of the time.
Varied and polarising opinions are surely what makes this thing tick and keep it interesting...or maybe we should all f√ck off and die !

I'd like Leeds and Leicester to draw tonight...is that OK with you ?

Just wanted to point out that Coventry have the third lowest budget in the Championship yet Mark Robins has them in the play off places......if they can compete against vastly more expensive squads why is it impossible for us to do so?.......merely surviving by the skin of our teeth isn't a massive achievement despite what the patronising pundits say.

Maybe it's because 50% of the top 6 in the Championship leave the league to be replaced by underperforming Premier League sides.

In the Premier League, the top 6 are ever-present always better resourced and have been for the past 20 years. I don't think it's a stretch to say they are always around the 10 strongest sides in the world and as you reach that sharp point of the best it gets exponentially harder to do more with less.

Have I? I think we’d have been better with different signings. Fredericks has brought nothing, Stephens is bang average and not trusted until recently, Senesi is sluggish but has decent elements, Neto doesn’t command his box at set pieces but is a good shot stopper and Tavernier has been excellent. Rothwell has started four games out of 32. Four out of the six signings were defenders and a goalkeeper and we have the worst defensive record in the league. You dress that up how you want Del.

It is the core players that have given us a chance.

More craziness borne of wanting to be proven right. You only need to look at our record with and without these players to know how much they've added. You're bending over backwards with nonsense stats to try and prove your preconceived opinions as you always do.

Stephens is a loan signing for much needed experience at this level, obviously no world beater but has pitched in and helped turn our season round. Seriously how could anyone slate that signing, you're the only person I've heard say he's a bad signing in the circumstances.

No idea where you get your Rothwell stats but they are well off.

Neto doesn't have the worst defensive record in the league does he.

I'd ask again, where would we be without these signings?

Who knows? He is a forward with 1 goal and 4 assists in 13 appearances. It’s therefore not easy to argue that he is essential to us winning anything. He had also cost us more games with wild blazing misses. We are not talking Calum Wilson in our promotion season or Josh King the year he tore the league apart are we. Anthony has won us games this year with calm late finishes. I don’t think our points tally would be that much different had he played all those games. Neither are deemed good enough to start at the moment.
He scored the winner against spurs he assisted the goal against Liverpool, that's 6 points.
Maybe one of our dev players on the bench before Jan could have too.

;