Gary O'Neil

I don't think it's a coincidence that this decision from our American owner comes shortly after the USMNT made their decision on their manager. Which leads me to two candidates, Jesse Marsch and Patrick Viera. Both were finalists for the USMNT job, both have experience in the Premier League, both have experience in other top leagues, and in Marsch's case the Champions League.

Could be off base here, but that's where my head is at.
I think it is likely to be somebody who is a "name" in the US, that would make sense. IMO it's a shame that Klinnsmann recently took a job as national coach in South Korea. He is a big name over there and would certainly have raised our profile ! I've always liked him, he's a cool guy, lives to surf :cool: Does he know about our surf reef ?

Last edited:
I don't think it's a coincidence that this decision from our American owner comes shortly after the USMNT made their decision on their manager. Which leads me to two candidates, Jesse Marsch and Patrick Viera. Both were finalists for the USMNT job, both have experience in the Premier League, both have experience in other top leagues, and in Marsch's case the Champions League.

Could be off base here, but that's where my head is at.

Lets hope not. If so we'll be a laughing stock especially if its Marsch and probably Viera likewise.

Kind of one and the same thing though isn't it? Makes you wonder if the board were completely bypassed hence the pack of leaks about this. Wouldn't surprise me if there's other abrupt departures.
Think afcb as a club is just a part of BK operations, there is a difference so think that’s why the press release stresses its a BK decision

O’Neil is a nice guy, who did his job last season. I like him, I’m very thankful for what he did. I hope he gets another job soon and can have a good career as a manager. He’s conducted himself with dignity throughout, it was up and down but he made me like going to games again. He reminded the footballing world that we have a talented squad that’s here on merit, and he achieved his objectives.

It’s a very harsh decision on paper, but the right one. He would’ve been sacked by November most likely. Our form for most of last season, outside of one off month pockets of form, was dreadful. I’m actually very excited by this bold, cutthroat style of leadership from the very top tbh, as morbid as that might sound.

For too long as a club we’ve accepted “good enough”. We are where we are because of one man, Eddie Howe. The infrastructure around him had been “adequate” at best, with no concrete improvements to any level of the club to show for our last decade of over-performance. The stadium saw next to no touches or improvements, the commercial activity around things like sponsorships has been revealed to be rank amateur recently. Our entire legacy and approach was built around one man; this was an approach that proved to be demonstrably unsustainable.

I believe we’ve had this en-mass attitude of “we’re not REALLY supposed to be here, it’s a fluke, enjoy the ride, we’ll be League 1 again soon” for too long. We’re a top level Championship to lower level premier league club now. We have been for a decade. It’s time we start acting like it. That means being harsh.

We enjoyed 9 years with EH, with whom we started the philosophy, “Together, Anything is Possible”. It’s an easy philosophy to stick to when you’re sticking by the special one. A champions league quality manager, the England manager in waiting. It’s not so easy when he’s followed up by the likes of Tindall, Jonathan “Vibes” Woodgate, “It’s every man for himself” Parker and, unfortunately, meek O’Neil.

O’Neil had a chance to prove he was the man for the future as well as the present. Remember, it was reported to be a Foley decision to keep O’Neil on in the first place. Foley clearly has a vision for the club. A new training complex, a bigger stadium, a team full of winners, players that are as elite as we can possibly attain being drawn to the club. O’Neil isn’t the man for this vision, let’s be honest.

I think he made Foley’s mind up for him when he announced that we were safe with 4 games to spare. We lost all 4. This isn’t the mindset of a winner, he’s not the captain of the new ship Foley’s building. This is the same old, grateful for the opportunity, “the lads did really well to get this far” attitude that’s employed by swathes of our fanbase. We have a PL level squad, that could’ve finished 12th this season. O’Neil settled for mediocrity. Foley, clearly, won’t. And personally, I think that’s quite exciting tbh.

It looks like it's going to be a roller coaster July with a new manager and maybe some exciting new additions to the playing staff. Thank you GO, did a job and kept us up , but the last few games were tough to watch and possibly were part of the reason the American set up made today's decision?

It's weird how the whole internet thinks it's a bad decision with the exception of this message board. Just goes to show they don't know what we know and we will again fly under the radar. GON won't struggle to find another job, I wish him well.
It's all speculation from people who don't know what Bill Foley is like. Saying things like it's because we weren't going to spend any money, when Foley has already pledged to spend big this summer, as he did in the Winter. Or saying we won't be able to bring in anyone worthwhile to replace him.

Look, in hockey Foley had a head coach take him to the Finals and a playoff appearance in back to back years then fired him for losing 4 straight games, in an 82 game season, a year later. This is who he is.

Anyone who thinks he's not doing everything possible to win doesn't know who this guy is. He doesn't make dumb decisions.

For what it's worth, the overwhelming favorite on the betting markets right now is former Rayo Vallecano manager Androni Iraola. He turned down a contract extension and is a free agent.

He also has American ties, he played for NYCFC for 2 seasons.

O’Neil is a nice guy, who did his job last season. I like him, I’m very thankful for what he did. I hope he gets another job soon and can have a good career as a manager. He’s conducted himself with dignity throughout, it was up and down but he made me like going to games again. He reminded the footballing world that we have a talented squad that’s here on merit, and he achieved his objectives.

It’s a very harsh decision on paper, but the right one. He would’ve been sacked by November most likely. Our form for most of last season, outside of one off month pockets of form, was dreadful. I’m actually very excited by this bold, cutthroat style of leadership from the very top tbh, as morbid as that might sound.

For too long as a club we’ve accepted “good enough”. We are where we are because of one man, Eddie Howe. The infrastructure around him had been “adequate” at best, with no concrete improvements to any level of the club to show for our last decade of over-performance. The stadium saw next to no touches or improvements, the commercial activity around things like sponsorships has been revealed to be rank amateur recently. Our entire legacy and approach was built around one man; this was an approach that proved to be demonstrably unsustainable.

I believe we’ve had this en-mass attitude of “we’re not REALLY supposed to be here, it’s a fluke, enjoy the ride, we’ll be League 1 again soon” for too long. We’re a top level Championship to lower level premier league club now. We have been for a decade. It’s time we start acting like it. That means being harsh.

We enjoyed 9 years with EH, with whom we started the philosophy, “Together, Anything is Possible”. It’s an easy philosophy to stick to when you’re sticking by the special one. A champions league quality manager, the England manager in waiting. It’s not so easy when he’s followed up by the likes of Tindall, Jonathan “Vibes” Woodgate, “It’s every man for himself” Parker and, unfortunately, meek O’Neil.

O’Neil had a chance to prove he was the man for the future as well as the present. Remember, it was reported to be a Foley decision to keep O’Neil on in the first place. Foley clearly has a vision for the club. A new training complex, a bigger stadium, a team full of winners, players that are as elite as we can possibly attain being drawn to the club. O’Neil isn’t the man for this vision, let’s be honest.

I think he made Foley’s mind up for him when he announced that we were safe with 4 games to spare. We lost all 4. This isn’t the mindset of a winner, he’s not the captain of the new ship Foley’s building. This is the same old, grateful for the opportunity, “the lads did really well to get this far” attitude that’s employed by swathes of our fanbase. We have a PL level squad, that could’ve finished 12th this season. O’Neil settled for mediocrity. Foley, clearly, won’t. And personally, I think that’s quite exciting tbh.
Totally agree. Great post. Sad but inevitable and actually very exciting.
About time we raised our aspirations. Bill seems to be dead set on doing that.

It's all speculation from people who don't know what Bill Foley is like. Saying things like it's because we weren't going to spend any money, when Foley has already pledged to spend big this summer, as he did in the Winter. Or saying we won't be able to bring in anyone worthwhile to replace him.

Look, in hockey Foley had a head coach take him to the Finals and a playoff appearance in back to back years then fired him for losing 4 straight games, in an 82 game season, a year later. This is who he is.

Anyone who thinks he's not doing everything possible to win doesn't know who this guy is. He doesn't make dumb decisions.
Well from what I've just read the whole internet thinks we have a Championship level squad and we have just sealed 20th spot for next season. Just goes to show how little people actually watch us, and if they do, have little understanding of how a proper football team should function. It is safe to assume that either way, their opinion is irrelevant.

Brilliant news. Also brilliant news the owners effectively undermining the board by calling it as their shot. Let’s hope we name Iraola then it will be a day to remember.

Issue will be it’s a tough fixture list for whoever comes in and they will need to have fans patience.

Brilliant news. Also brilliant news the owners effectively undermining the board by calling it as their shot. Let’s hope we name Iraola then it will be a day to remember.

Issue will be it’s a tough fixture list for whoever comes in and they will need to have fans patience.
I love how you get a little dig in on the board at every opportunity lol

;