Gary O'Neil

When I think back to the last home game against United and the end of match presentations and celebrations. GON look a bit subdued and seemed like he wanted to leave the pitch as soon as possible. The main thing I noticed was he didn't give the usual managers speech thanking the fans for their support throughout that season.

I’m not sure we can read much into that. There was a few odd things, no supporters player of the season award (the one that looks like the European cup), no Daily Echo award.

According to Transfermkrt avoiding relegation automatically triggered a 2 year extension to his contract, so a very healthy bonus either way. And maybe by then he already knew that they were talking to Iraola so when he'd secured safety he relaxed and told everyone else they could too. He did a decent job but maybe he was a bit lucky to be managing in a league that included, Lampard, Marsch and Gerrard.

I’m not sure we can read much into that. There was a few odd things, no supporters player of the season award (the one that looks like the European cup), no Daily Echo award.

Perhaps club knew Lerma was leaving so thought they'd spoil his ovation from the award !

Agree. I said on another forum 'if you all love Gary so much then sign him up.........Yeah, thought not !......good enough for us but not for you....pure hypocrisy !!'
I like the fact that the new owners don’t accept “our place in the scheme of things”.
If you do, you’ll likely never progress.
“Always advance. Never retreat”.
It will take some getting used to, but I like it (y)

The Demin era in the PL was all about sustaining our position. Our new owners are all about improving our position. That can only be good for us fans ! It may not work out but at least the ambition is there !

Agree. I said on another forum 'if you all love Gary so much then sign him up.........Yeah, thought not !......good enough for us but not for you....pure hypocrisy !!'
I was a bit disappointed with Graeme Souness on TS today also... When asked by Jim White what his thoughts were on this, I thought, being a local who claims to watch us a lot, he'd be a bit more educated on things but he just jumped on the bandwagon and questioned the owner's decision... "Where do they think Bournemouth can go" was along the lines of his argument... "11000 seated stadium..." "Surely their goal is survival" ...

It took Simon Jordan to comment on showing ambition, 11000 seats means nothing, and looking at Brentford, for example of what could happen, but Souness just kept saying we should be happy with not being relegated...

I was a bit disappointed with Graeme Souness on TS today also... When asked by Jim White what his thoughts were on this, I thought, being a local who claims to watch us a lot, he'd be a bit more educated on things but he just jumped on the bandwagon and questioned the owner's decision... "Where do they think Bournemouth can go" was along the lines of his argument... "11000 seated stadium..." "Surely their goal is survival" ...

It took Simon Jordan to comment on showing ambition, 11000 seats means nothing, and looking at Brentford, for example of what could happen, but Souness just kept saying we should be happy with not being relegated...
He said its a risk employing a manager with no Premier league experience, and it is, ask watford.
Easy for us its not our money on the line, hopefully he'll be a pochetino, not one of the numerous failures. No guarantees, see how long fans stay positive if we lose the first 3 games

10 years ago when my dad was in his wheelchair I tried to park in a disabled space in the car park for which turned out to be his last match before he passed away. They said there were no spaces left. As I reversed out of the car park Graeme Souness turned up in his jaguar and was immediately allowed to park his car even though there were no spaces!! I am disappointed that given his obvious privileged position as an ex-footballer he is slagging off my club.

I think I t’s pretty straight forward really, Foley has exciting plans for the club which are going to cost him a lot of money. So he gets to choose the manager. I doubt GON is that surprised.

He'll be surprised by the timing and the manner I think, but he'll have known it was coming sooner or later.

I like the fact that the new owners don’t accept “our place in the scheme of things”.
If you do, you’ll likely never progress.
“Always advance. Never retreat”.
It will take some getting used to, but I like it (y)

The Demin era in the PL was all about sustaining our position. Our new owners are all about improving our position. That can only be good for us fans ! It may not work out but at least the ambition is there !

The culture of the club is going to change. That's a shame in lots of ways, but if we're to move on up, it's inevitable.

Jordan seems to be mentioned a few times defending us on various subjects when the majority go the other way. I know he can be devisive, but I've grown to like him more over the past decade, way before he ever mentioned us at all. he talks a lot of sense and truth imo,typically getting it spot on.. and doesn't just tow the line with usual lazy (and misi formed) cr4p ex footballer pundits spew out.

Not totally surprising, given Jordan is a successful entrepreneur... if he had the 'you/they should know their limits/place' type mentality, I doubt he'd have been anywhere near as successful.

All the outraged, negative comments from the majority of 'experts' just highlights their own limited thinking/outlook (along with being ignorant and/or lazy in their role as pundits or whatever they are, ) more than anything imo.

Of course it may not work out, but if Demin, Foley etc listened to these narrow minded ex pros and followed the small minded and subtle, sometimes not so subtle comments about being a small club, knowing their place, small stadium, no high level history mentality, we'd still be playing in league 1 or 2, struggling to hold onto players,or even survive.

Further evidence is look at when we were first promoted... we were media darlings, in a patronising way of little club with a little crap ground. Then note how the mentality changed over time, almost sensing like they thought 'you've had your fun for a season or two, but you're now exceeding your welcome and gettingin in the way. Please leave the PL, so Leeds, Sheffield Wed's, Forest etc can take up their rightful place...'.

I love it, and I hope we continue to grow and rub it in their faces!

Last edited:
I heard McCoist and Ruddock on way home from England game, yesterday morning.

Stating their outrage for GON and Darren Moore.

Then when discussing GON with Alex Crook, who was much more pragmatic, Ruddock asked ' Have they got a big squad?' to which McCoist replied 'I'm not sure'.

Pissed myself laughing at the irony, they can't even see.

As above Jordan was then very sensible, explaining the owners perspective and was the only one re Moore to explain it was mutual and not a sacking.

These are the same pundits, who probably pointed out game after game how we conceded most goals from set pieces etc, but failed to put two and two together.

Staying up or going down is so binary, and in their head equals success or failure, there are no shades of grey. Then again on the whole they are just not that bright.

TBF I'm still in shock about the Carragher tweet, which was absolutely spot on.

Jordan seems to be mentioned a few times defending us on various subjects when the majority go the other way. I know he can be devisive, but I've grown to like him more over the past decade, way before he ever mentioned us at all. he talks a lot of sense and truth imo,typically getting it spot on.. and doesn't just tow the line with usual lazy (and misi formed) cr4p ex footballer pundits spew out.

Not totally surprising, given Jordan is a successful entrepreneur... if he had the 'you/they should know their limits/place' type mentality, I doubt he'd have been anywhere near as successful.

All the outraged, negative comments from the majority of 'experts' just highlights their own limited thinking/outlook (along with being ignorant and/or lazy in their role as pundits or whatever they are, ) more than anything imo.

Of course it may not work out, but if Demin, Foley etc listened to these narrow minded ex pros and followed the small minded and subtle, sometimes not so subtle comments about being a small club, knowing their place, small stadium, no high level history mentality, we'd still be playing in league 1 or 2, struggling to hold onto players,or even survive.

Further evidence is look at when we were first promoted... we were media darlings, in a patronising way of little club with a little crap ground. Then note how the mentality changed over time, almost sensing like they thought 'you've had your fun for a season or two, but you're now exceeding your welcome and gettingin in the way. Please leave the PL, so Leeds, Sheffield Wed's, Forest etc can take up their rightful place...'.

I love it, and I hope we continue to grow and rub it in their faces!
100% agree. Good post.

He said its a risk employing a manager with no Premier league experience, and it is, ask watford.
Easy for us its not our money on the line, hopefully he'll be a pochetino, not one of the numerous failures. No guarantees, see how long fans stay positive if we lose the first 3 games
I think there’s an assumption that O’Neil would keep us up again. That’s a massive assumption, I think the league was fairly weak last year but will be stronger this year. Even Eddie couldn’t keep us up.

;