Gary O'Neil

I do feel I am being pushed a bit far on defending GON but glad you are enjoying it - that’s what this forum is about really; agree or disagree but getting some relief from the mad world around us.

Re the comment from AI, he definitely said it in an early interview when questioned in his management style. Maybe taken out of context or a translation thing or an answer to a slightly different question… but he did say he didn’t believe in changing the way we play between home and away games. Clear examples in games when tactics have changed eg West Ham home

It’s good to have some solid debate football stuff for a change.

I do agree, there’s plenty to defend O’Neil on, in his interviews he clearly “got it” when it came to AFCB. Something that was very welcome after Scott Parker, who never did.

He appeared to be popular with the players and seemed to be a very good coach, as a manager he was trying to be very modern and attempted to be versatile like he suggests in that video.

In reality, at afcb at least, that meant take a lead and then drop deeper and deeper with 5 at the back as opposed to it being a positive or to counteract the opposition.

We also had large spells of poor results and zip all identity because of this.

The move to Wolves gives him a chance to reinvent himself.

It’s good to have some solid debate football stuff for a change.

I do agree, there’s plenty to defend O’Neil on, in his interviews he clearly “got it” when it came to AFCB. Something that was very welcome after Scott Parker, who never did.

He appeared to be popular with the players and seemed to be a very good coach, as a manager he was trying to be very modern and attempted to be versatile like he suggests in that video.

In reality, at afcb at least, that meant take a lead and then drop deeper and deeper with 5 at the back as opposed to it being a positive or to counteract the opposition.

We also had large spells of poor results and zip all identity because of this.

The move to Wolves gives him a chance to reinvent himself.
Reality is he was a rookie manager - only real managerial experience was his son’s under 9 side - so he was bound to make mistakes and he did. As did Eddie.

The key thing is that he obviously is aware of mistakes and tries to develop eg in a post-match interview when wolves beat Man City, GON said he was too attacking in Afcb’s approach vs Man City last season when we had c 13 shots and this season he adapted his tactics so the team was more compact (it was a brave attacking style last season despite what some critics say).

So I am not sure I would say re-invent himself at wolves but continue his development and coaching philosophy. I expect he will always remain in the more defensive mindset compared to some other coaches like Eddie, but will refine his approach.

My concern with AI, whom I really like by the way, he is lacking this body of knowledge in the prem so his learning curve is very steep re the prem

Probably means a more a consistent identity. Which was more or less O'Neil's third word/ point in that when the manager isn't there, do the players know what they're doing? Do they understand why they're doing things a certain way?

All teams need to be adaptable to an extent, although I admit I haven't seen that much so far under AI. From interview it sounds like he's taking some of the play back to basics given alot of the errors we've been making.
You could well be right, I can’t recall now but remember the home/away point.

I’m concerned by Saturday. GONs main strength for me was adapting a side to stop another side. I think he did it to the loss of our own identity but can’t deny it worked on occasions.

If ever there is a side he will know how to adapt to its us and he has some decent players that can hurt us on the counter.

I’m concerned by Saturday. GONs main strength for me was adapting a side to stop another side. I think he did it to the loss of our own identity but can’t deny it worked on occasions.

If ever there is a side he will know how to adapt to its us and he has some decent players that can hurt us on the counter.

So hes not a PE teacher then?

This was always a reference to the way he dressed and spoke..
Jennifer Lawrence Thumbs Up GIF - Jennifer Lawrence Thumbs Up Ok - Discover  & Share GIFs

Reality is he was a rookie manager - only real managerial experience was his son’s under 9 side - so he was bound to make mistakes and he did. As did Eddie.

The key thing is that he obviously is aware of mistakes and tries to develop eg in a post-match interview when wolves beat Man City, GON said he was too attacking in Afcb’s approach vs Man City last season when we had c 13 shots and this season he adapted his tactics so the team was more compact (it was a brave attacking style last season despite what some critics say).

So I am not sure I would say re-invent himself at wolves but continue his development and coaching philosophy. I expect he will always remain in the more defensive mindset compared to some other coaches like Eddie, but will refine his approach.

My concern with AI, whom I really like by the way, he is lacking this body of knowledge in the prem so his learning curve is very steep re the prem
Plus there are some factors such as having an out of balance team and injured new signings. These things haven't helped him either. I would prefer to see Billing as number 10. He does okay deeper, but we lack identity when he's not in his natural position. I'd rather Christie or Rothwell covered in the deeper role.

As if it wasn't a comment on his abilities. People weren't born yesterday Neil.
His ability was ok. He kept us up. I’m on record on here last season saying if he kept us up he should start this season as manager. The PE teacher label stuck because of how he spoke and dressed. It also was around long before I picked up on it so not my label.

That said once Iraola became available it was right to go for him in my opinion on his reputation. What I wasn’t privy to though obvs was how he came across in the interview and what his vision was.

His ability was ok. He kept us up. I’m on record on here last season saying if he kept us up he should start this season as manager. The PE teacher label stuck because of how he spoke and dressed. It also was around long before I picked up on it so not my label.

That said once Iraola became available it was right to go for him in my opinion on his reputation. What I wasn’t privy to though obvs was how he came across in the interview and what his vision was.

Yes it's been around as an insult to football mangers since before you used it as an insult to refer to O'Neil. It implies inexperience and lack of experience and knowledge.

I suppose it is possible that you were using it without knowing what it means all this time. In your defence I've done that myself. I called my brother a dildo in front of my dad when I was 8. It didn't go down very well tbh.

Plus there are some factors such as having an out of balance team and injured new signings. These things haven't helped him either. I would prefer to see Billing as number 10. He does okay deeper, but we lack identity when he's not in his natural position. I'd rather Christie or Rothwell covered in the deeper role.

Agree re billing.

It’s interesting if you assess the top 5 performers last season (or reflected in player of the season voting) and we are missing their influence this season

Billing - top scorer but now deeper
Neto - outstanding last season but form has dipped
Tavernier - missed a lot last season but always had an attacking flair with assists and goals but not got going after missing the start of the season
Lerma - sympathy vote for the POTS award but 5 goals from midfield and help us defensively but his replacement hasnt played
Dango - pace and threat frightened defences from January but injury has also disrupted his form

“I was hard at work, planning pre-season, watching the targets that we'd set to try and sign.

“A lot of them they managed to sign, which is good - a good, good summer.

“I was surprised, of course. Never know why, don't need to know why.

“I had a fantastic time here. I think it's two and a half years in the end.

;