Gary O'Neil

Agreed .
There isn’t a game where we have performed well for more than 45 minutes this season . Infact there isn’t a game where we have deserved to win.
People will harp on about the run of games we had . We still have to play Villa, Newcastle and both Manchester clubs . Most of those will rip us a new one with ease.

We create barely anything . Mistakes will happen in this league but those mistakes are highlighted more when you don’t create anything and those mistakes always seem to cost us .
I must admit that when we took the lead against Wolves, I didn't think for a second that we would secure the three points. I thought that a 1-1 was now possible or a narrow defeat. And so it came to pass. Our side just doesn't have the aggression, the mentality to go on and put the game to bed. You have to seize "them moments" :p, use them to maximum advantage, heap pain upon your opponent. We are just far too passive for my liking. It's as if we score a goal and think "that'll do for now". We do rally again when needed, for instance at 1-1 we had a bright spell with some pressure in their box, but if we seized "them moments" and used them to full effect, rallying wouldn't be necessary. We could just frustrate the opposition for the rest of the match and seal the three points.

IMO we have a really poor attitude. We lack the aggression needed for Iraola's system to work. Certainly we lack the ability to sustain it. We did see it briefly at the beginning of the Liverpool game and that was most enjoyable to watch. The Liverpool defenders really had the wind up them, but unfortunately we couldn't sustain it.

This squad definitely needs an attitude shift if we are going to get anything out of this season. Well, anything other than relegation !

Critics of GON - just watch the clip on sky when he talks about preparing for 4vs 3 match ups and how it led to their equaliser on Saturday. Good glimpse of Gary’s coaching ability. Didn’t look tedious or boring.

I probably don’t fit into the category of “critics of GON” you can go through this thread and find I was more of a critic of the appointment permanently than GON himself.

However, the issue with GON for me, was the focus was always on the opposition. We would alter how we play, our system depending on the opposition. It was never about us, it was never about our strengths and how we can win football matches. Most teams will tweak tactics and systems to nullify one particular threat the opposition had but still concentrate on what they can do. We didn’t do that.

Due to this we never had an identity under GON, we also never played for a full 90 minutes under him either. We always had spells in games where we were particularly underwhelming. Substitutions often made us worse rather than better.

We also had 9 months of being incapable of defending set-pieces or any kind of cross. This never improved despite almost an entire season. Which also shows GON’s coaching ability in real time.

I think he’s a great coach, always spoke well, the step up to manager in the Premier League, with no real support from backroom staff was wrong. He’s got potential but learning on the job was wrong.

A change for us, was the right move and a change to a manager who gives us an identity and philosophy suits afcb best.

I still back the change and I’d back it all season. Teams in transition take time to build.

We are still incapable of defending set pieces, yet we also seem to have lost our attacking impetus.

If we are to play from the back we need a solid pivot from the back.

We just don't have that.

Lewis Cook is playing the Lerma role and its so damn well predictable.

If Cook gets the ball he will either lose it going forward, or pass it backwards.

There is no playmaker between defence and attack, it just fizzles out to lost possession or a big, usually inaccurate lump forwards.

You need a quick and confident transition from defence to your wide or forward players.

Our midfield is so unbalanced, we just cede possession in the middle when under pressure, or inaccurately lob it forwards.

With a decent centre midfield we could potentially be a much better side.

We are still incapable of defending set pieces, yet we also seem to have lost our attacking impetus.

If we are to play from the back we need a solid pivot from the back.

We just don't have that.

Lewis Cook is playing the Lerma role and its so damn well predictable.

If Cook gets the ball he will either lose it going forward, or pass it backwards.

There is no playmaker between defence and attack, it just fizzles out to lost possession or a big, usually inaccurate lump forwards.

You need a quick and confident transition from defence to your wide or forward players.

Our midfield is so unbalanced, we just cede possession in the middle when under pressure, or inaccurately lob it forwards.

With a decent centre midfield we could potentially be a much better side.

Tbf the midfield look good with Cook, Scott and Billing. Scott seems to be exactly the type of player for quick confident transition.

I probably don’t fit into the category of “critics of GON” you can go through this thread and find I was more of a critic of the appointment permanently than GON himself.

However, the issue with GON for me, was the focus was always on the opposition. We would alter how we play, our system depending on the opposition. It was never about us, it was never about our strengths and how we can win football matches. Most teams will tweak tactics and systems to nullify one particular threat the opposition had but still concentrate on what they can do. We didn’t do that.

Due to this we never had an identity under GON, we also never played for a full 90 minutes under him either. We always had spells in games where we were particularly underwhelming. Substitutions often made us worse rather than better.

We also had 9 months of being incapable of defending set-pieces or any kind of cross. This never improved despite almost an entire season. Which also shows GON’s coaching ability in real time.

I think he’s a great coach, always spoke well, the step up to manager in the Premier League, with no real support from backroom staff was wrong. He’s got potential but learning on the job was wrong.

A change for us, was the right move and a change to a manager who gives us an identity and philosophy suits afcb best.

I still back the change and I’d back it all season. Teams in transition take time to build.
I don’t get hung about so-called “identity” or varying style with opposition since at the moment most of the teams we played were favourites to win each prem game. Great having an identity on paper but when you play good prem teams you need more.

When I watch afcb, what do I want to see from my head coach:

Did we play good passing football in contrast to a Burnley or Watford type of play?
Yes

Did the team give 100%?
Yes

Did he get the most out of his squad?
Yes

Did try to influence games during the match?
Yes

Did I enjoy spending my hard earned money watching us play?
Yes

Did he keep afcb us in the toughest league in the world?
Yes

Is he an appropriate figurehead for my team, which has been based on good values?
Yes

Was he a sexy media name that would attract international talent?
No

TBH there was enough yes answers for me. I get the strategic rationale for swapping him out, I really do, but only if you get a top proven coach to replace him. Not many of them about and AI always felt like a huge gamble vs what we already had.

Last edited:
It was obviously well thought out planning and tactics based at beating us. His players learnt that in two weeks. Our gaffer has been in charge since the summer and still can't get the players to understand the high press.

There seems to be a running dialogue amongst the defenders with Max Aarons and where he was meant to be defending, while Tav repeatedly seems to be querying something with the bench. Not reassuring.

Tbf the midfield look good with Cook, Scott and Billing. Scott seems to be exactly the type of player for quick confident transition.

It certainly showed some potential. The double pivot was less gung-ho. We did lose some of the press without Christie. There was enough there for me to want to see it again. Would Rothwell slot in? I thought he’s looked good when called upon but Iraola doesn’t got to him unless he had no other options.

I think any manager worth thir salt will know we have a giant hole in the central midfield defensive area.

He was well aware that Lerma has left, and that he hasn't been replaced.

With a bit of pace around him Lewis Cook can get turned inside out with ease, and he was.

If we still had Lerma available I dare say we may well be on about 9 points, not 3.

Don’t disagree with both your points. Would add that:

1. Gary is a bright coach and is able to study all opponents to come up with game plans rather than solely ex clubs

2. It is still a skill to craft that understanding into simple drills that players that can take on board and reproduce in a match day setting. Requires good coaching with a number of players.

In reference to your comment about xenophobia.
Maybe it's more to do with what some supporters are seeing on the pitch?
Not when people are saying outside the top five la Liga is league one level. I think Valencia might beat Rotherham.

Also ignoring Iraolas excellent record against the top five.

It's not in my head Neil it's on here on every thread day after day. What you wanted is what happened and it has so far been a spectacular failure. If he can perform miracles with limited resources he shouldn't need your excuses about an unbalanced squad. He's got lots of attacking players and can't get any of them to perform. Most of them have proven they can make an impact here or elsewhere but not in his system. He's also got enough midfielders to put a competitive side out.

The board you have constantly slagged off identified De Zerbi and Iraola too. They've also had a new owner come in who has completely changed the focus of recruitment overnight.

Personally I couldn't care less if they all get sacked. I don't think they are the root cause of all our problems and I don't think it will magically sort everything out if they go.

Lol, you constantly banged on about change to Howes set up yet you didn't actually want change to Howe's set up? Sorry what?

Btw I'm not always right. I fully supported the decision to sack O'Neil for Iraola. I thought it made loads of sense and was the right thing to do. That seems very wrong, it won't cost me my job but if things don't improve it will cost Hughes his job - maybe harsh but that's football.
I wanted a model where Howe stayed in overall control as he was the only talented one but that he recognised the need to bring in external coaches and recruitment to support him. Not a world where he was demoted and told what players were coming in.

I wanted a talented foreign coach or a proven championship manager who played good football to be interviewed to check suitability and given players that matched their style.

Neither are hard to understand Del and neither happened.

It is in the nature of a football fan to be hypocritical and contradicting ...it's all Results Based don't you see...........and can be the fun of it....ok you thought that then.. now you think this ..so f√cking what ?
Some Numpty will call you out... his little moment of glory.. and he will probably slip up at some point...and you can if you want you have your moment on him...if you want to...
Comme Si ..Comme Sa...who gives a gnats knackersack ?
Boscombe Football History will be what it will be...Have Fun Hun.

Last edited:
I don’t get hung about so-called “identity” or varying style with opposition since at the moment most of the teams we played were favourites to win each prem game. Great having an identity on paper but when you play good prem teams you need more.

When I watch afcb, what do I want to see from my head coach:

Did we play good passing football in contrast to a Burnley or Watford type of play?
Yes

Did the team give 100%?
Yes

Did he get the most out of his squad?
Yes

Did try to influence games during the match?
Yes

Did I enjoy spending my hard earned money watching us play?
Yes

Did he keep afcb us in the toughest league in the world?
Yes

Is he an appropriate figurehead for my team, which has been based on good values?
Yes

Was he a sexy media name that would attract international talent?
No

TBH there was enough yes answers for me. I get the strategic rationale for swapping him out, I really do, but only if you get a top proven coach to replace him. Not many of them about and AI always felt like a huge gamble vs what we already had.

Agree with this but I'm not sure we are realistically in the market for a 'proven' manager. What would one of those look like anyway? De Zerbi wasn't proven in the PL. Even Emery, who I would class as proven, had failed in the PL. Could we realistically attract Potter? Probably not and even he really struggles initially if his track record is anything to go by.

It's frustrating because our fans never really gave O'Neil a chance. There was no leeway during his spells of poor results despite the fact he had very few attacking players available.

I wanted a model where Howe stayed in overall control as he was the only talented one but that he recognised the need to bring in external coaches and recruitment to support him. Not a world where he was demoted and told what players were coming in.

I wanted a talented foreign coach or a proven championship manager who played good football to be interviewed to check suitability and given players that matched their style.

Alex Ferguson - always bringing in new coaches.

You wanted Howe to have coaches that weren't his choice? Yes that is difficult to understand. Effectively it is a load of codswallop, you wanted to criticise Howe, as you did ad nauseam, and came up with this ridiculous "he needs different coaches" strawman.

The idea that they were going to simply tell him what players he was going to have is also for the birds. You honestly think Howe was not going to be consulted on signings? Hughes had been identifying players for Howe to consider for years by that point. Howe wanted Hughes at Celtic.

You got literally exactly the coach you wanted. Apparently an expert in working with limited resources. Do you honestly think that Rayo Vallecano has a squad tailor made for his style of play when they gave him the job?

How can the decision to jettison O'Neil at that point be right in ANY way .. it just doesn't make any f√cking sense... If he had started a new campaign in August and arrived at this point with 3 points ..that would have made lots of sense.

However I dont think taking Iraola out now will make any sense purely because the club hierarchy will cock things up even worse under a pressure of this nature ...by their nature.

I'm seeing the way for this season at least, as Iraola sticking with his way...his principles of nurturing a decent team...but its essentially reliant on 2 or 3 of the players adopting some 'Leadership' in the dressing room and on the field ..without that its f√cked...and relegation will happen.
We are at Crisis Point.....and who knows what's actually going on with the Players !

I think I know but it's too pithy and provocative to detail...been a problem dating back to Howes latter days at the club !

You wanted Howe to have coaches that weren't his choice? Yes that is difficult to understand. Effectively it is a load of codswallop, you wanted to criticise Howe, as you did ad nauseam, and came up with this ridiculous "he needs different coaches" strawman.

The idea that they were going to simply tell him what players he was going to have is also for the birds. You honestly think Howe was not going to be consulted on signings? Hughes had been identifying players for Howe to consider for years by that point. Howe wanted Hughes at Celtic.

You got literally exactly the coach you wanted. Apparently an expert in working with limited resources. Do you honestly think that Rayo Vallecano has a squad tailor made for his style of play when they gave him the job?
I didn’t want Howe to have coaches that weren’t his choice. I wanted him to recognise that different experiences and voices would help him and appoint them himself. I don’t know how many times I can explain that!

Howe didn’t want Hughes at Celtic. That was paper talk. He didn’t like the way it came to an end here and Hughes was part of that. He had the opportunity to take him to Newcastle and didn’t.

I hoped the club would interview someone like Iraola appoint them and support them with a balanced squad yes.

Agree with this but I'm not sure we are realistically in the market for a 'proven' manager. What would one of those look like anyway? De Zerbi wasn't proven in the PL. Even Emery, who I would class as proven, had failed in the PL. Could we realistically attract Potter? Probably not and even he really struggles initially if his track record is anything to go by.

It's frustrating because our fans never really gave O'Neil a chance. There was no leeway during his spells of poor results despite the fact he had very few attacking players available.
Agreed.

I think we are mad to even think we could get a de zerbi or emery level. Thus, need to be very sure re taking such a big change.

;