Gary O'Neil

:D So much for just calling him a PE teacher due to how he looked ;)

Seems like you're winding yourself up into a frenzy over this topic today!
Not at all. The PE teacher thing was how he looked, spoke and came across. It also wasn’t my invention!

Fair play to GON if he does make a top flight manager for the rest of his career (couple of decades even?).

Recall reading Wolves forum earlier in the season and most wanted him out.

As one of their posters said, GON has (had) almost nothing in his locker going for him with Wolves fans, wider world top flight club fans, with him being appointed manager.

Did well keeping us up, but having dismissed him for another manager, not many Pl fans would have been pleased seeing him installed at their club... beyond say Luton, perhaps Sheff U. Not reknowned for good football,, doesn't have the charisma/prone to odd comments in interviews to immediately endear fans, no 'sexy' stature from playing days, coaching/managerial track record... even lookswise (Wolves fan said that last bit, not one of my silly comments...) and had just been sacked by a club most see as tinpot still.

He looks on track for carving out a good career as manager. And he's having to do it the hardway, with 'world against him'. He doesnt have much to give him good grace, breathing space, as others had imo. Not many believe/back him from what I can tell, and he's having to prove them otherwise, the really hard way.

Imagine vast majority of Wolves fans were underwhelmed by his appointment (that was most definitely the feeling from what I read), middle of the road at best. And was clear to me they thought he was very much a cheap, cr4p appointment and they were going down with him at the helm. Imagine working in a potential hostile environment, where you sense, 1000's people around you tolerate you at best. Takes balls of steel/back bone and incredibly strong character imo. Hope he does well tbh, he'd have more than earnt it.

Last edited:
if he was prebooked then he would of been, maybe just maybe he wasn't there to bash us but to answer questions asked of him, no doubt he was smug while doing it more of a vindication that he can manage at the top.
to put it in context eddie done interviews after he knocked us out the cup explaining his tactics etc there isn't really any difference

They made a joke about him cancelling on them if they'd have lost at DC. He got booked before and he went on there, I don't see the issue personally. Then again I'm not an expert in hand-wringing with an inexplicable vendetta against a former manager for the crime of, er, not getting relegated.

O'Neil is certainly a Forum - splitting subject.

A man who was forced out .....after saving us from the drop...by galvanising a disinterested, cliquey assembly of players into a workable unit.

we were second bottom for a reason, now we're mid-table for a reason
of course it was a story at that time; sky are a media organisation, stories are what they do
not sure about the everyone was laughing at us bit, sounds a tad paranoid
I'm really happy to have Andoni. I love our style of football with him, and with O'Neil, I didn't feel the players were as inspired. That said, a few weeks ago, Andoni looked to be in trouble and who knows how we will play in future. It's possible we'll lose a series of matches again and the elevated Andoni will be less popular until we win again. That's not to say that I don't think Andoni is a better fit for us, though.

Not doubting the reasons… getting paid, sticking it up a former boss for sacking you at 6.30am over text…

Just saying a classy bloke doesn’t do it, a jumped up PE teacher does.
Let's imagine you're correct and a key reason for doing this was to express his smugness. So what? Does that make him a non classy bloke because he acted in a crass way after his ego was crushed getting sacked? Have you never acted in a crass way? Have any of us never? Does that mean nobody is decent? It's all very much black and white assessment, which is very rarely accurate. Personally, I don't think GON meant anything by it. I think he's generally a decent bloke. Have to admit, I didn't like the way he went out of his way not to shake JT's hand before EH's last season. I thought that was unnecessary, but I don't know if there was any bad blood between them? If Eddie is happy for JT to shake hands first, then there's no issue. Having said that, it was one event and that doesn't mean GON isn't generally a decent bloke.

This, all of this. Absolutely brilliant post, the like of which, amongst all of the rubbish you oft have to wade through, makes it worth coming on here. The online equivalent of TK Maxx if you will.
I think it's a very good balanced post too.

Hang on, what's wrong with PE teachers ?

Seems like an extremely useful, important job. All the PE teachers I've ever known have been very likeable and respected people.
Also Neil went on record saying how good his PE teacher was on teaching him about tactics. Maybe it’s a back-handed compliment?

Hoping the next meltdown on GON will be many months aaway as the date of the next wolves v afcb game clashes with fa cup quarter finals!

;