Gary O'Neil

The very best scenario is speaking your mind after each game, judging it and the team as a whole on the merits of the performance and result combined...blimey I've just read that back and understand it NOT.
...anyway it's fun if you can sort of wind two elitist posters up...the three of you start getting in a right ol' barney.... but then YOU back out ...and leave them in combat...then you sneak off to another thread and start over again....a bit like starting a fight in a pub and leaving others to conclude an outcome!
On here It's a mid - table/ lower table coping mechanism after a defeat.....transfer your angst somewhere else ...preferably to members of what you might consider a 'clique'..a group that generally hover around your posts waiting to gang up and destroy you.....taint working guys ..i've got it all covered by multiple off the shelf traits !

What's 'deserve ' got to do with anything?....the owners wanted a better manager...should we just keep a manager just because we feel he's owed something for keeping us up?....he wasn't on 10 pound an hour you know....he got a massive pay off and is now a PL manager because we gave him a chance nobody else would have given him....we owe him fck all.
We have a better manager....lower in the table mind ....but managing his team 'better'...see what the table says in May...you might well be right ultimately.

....but in this MONEY based bollux....managers are only as good as the form of their team for any given batch of fixtures.

It's a Funny ol' Game...that phrase was coined for a reason .... :loser: and possibly only understood by the 'boomer' element of the support !

The mistake people make and you hear this trotted out by pundits all the time is to ask people to choose between attractive football or results.....it not an either or debate........we can win games playing the way we are now or we can win games as we did last season......why wouldn't anyone want the former?
I haven’t commented so on recent posts as I am bored tbh. But, when you ask questions like your closing comments, I take a deep sigh.

You can only truly compare if squads are the same tbh. I recall “fans” slagging off GON for boring football at that depressing defeat at Brentford when we had no dom or tav or sinistera or Scott or semenyo or brooks or dango or kluivert etc..

Easier to be attack-minded when you have another £100m plus spent on attacking players!

Clearly it’s not as simple as that as AI is definitely a more attacking coach but some of the comparisons are way OTT. Think GON is happy to attack when the odds are right but maybe will have a better record against the top sides than AI will have given his more cautious approach too.

It’s not such a binary debate as people make out. GON played the hand dealt and did well. With more attacking talent than he had last year, he is clever and creative enough as a coach to play to a squad’s strengths.

You mean the match after they had secured safety when many, including people on here, had written him and the players off 10 games previously.
I feel sorry if you place more weight on a meaningless game at Palace over a 3-2 win at Spurs, 1-0 win over Liverpool or winning at Scum to pretty much condemn them to relegation. No let's remember those last 4 games and use it as a stick to beat him with. Yes, yes all games are important, we travel to away games at great expense and expect effort, determination and pride in our performance. But that all rests on his shoulders and everything that came before it should be forgotten?

I have no major issue with what happened afterwards as long as people can accept that GON did an amazing job keeping us up.

The football might not have been great but he achieved his goal and that set by his employers.

I didn't care about last 4 games either tbh. We should be glad we stayed up.

But it p1ssed many off. I personally thought many comments were over the top tbh in that regard.

EEven had people suggesting he may have kept his job if not for those 4 games, which I thought was bizarre tbh. No way Foley woukd have been that short sighted. They would have replaced o Neil even If he won those 4 games.

It wasn't a great end to the season of course, but the monumental achievement of staying up totally eclipsed or removed any concern whatsoever about those 4 performances.

This season after 21 games, AFCB have scored 28 and conceded 39.

Wolves after the same number of games have scored 30 and conceded 31.

Both sides have played ten games at home.

The mistake people make and you hear this trotted out by pundits all the time is to ask people to choose between attractive football or results.....it not an either or debate........we can win games playing the way we are now or we can win games as we did last season......why wouldn't anyone want the former?

Tbf I'm sure you've previously declared you'd rather see us relegated playing good football than staying up playing pragmatic style.

I think most of us know its not black or white.

No, for everyone. Nobody, including you, would put up with terrible results for a sustained period no matter how pretty the performances. Everyone, including you, would put up with shitty 1-0 wins if it meant lifting the PL trophy or FA cup.
Again I refer you to the spectrum. I’m in total agreement with your post above as anyone would be. I’m saying I’d rather be 15th or 16th playing entertaining football than 10th with more wins playing pragmatic football.

Again I refer you to the spectrum. I’m in total agreement with your post above as anyone would be. I’m saying I’d rather be 15th or 16th playing entertaining football than 10th with more wins playing pragmatic football.

So you agree that in an isolated game a scrappy win is better than a glorious beating and you agree that a season of scrappy wins resulting in success is better than a season of pretty failure? Then you pretty much agree with me that given similar results (not much difference in results between 10th and 15th) we'd all rather better football. Got it.

more the following season and some nil nils
that burton game was awful
not so do-or-die and the same context....

15 August 2009Rotherham UnitedDean Court1–05,091Garry 45'Match Report
318 August 2009Aldershot TownDean Court1–05,556Pearce 48'Match Report
422 August 2009Northampton TownSixfields Stadium0–24,102Match Report
529 August 2009Crewe AlexandraDean Court1–04,563Feeney 51'Match Report
65 September 2009Torquay UnitedPlainmoor2–13,881Pitman 49', Fletcher 87'Match Report
712 September 2009Lincoln CityDean Court3–15,385Pitman 7', Igoe 20', 61'Match Report
819 September 2009DarlingtonThe Darlington Arena2–01,999Pitman 15' 83' (1 Pen)Match Report
926 September 2009Burton AlbionDean Court1–06,327Pitman 86'Match Report
1029 September 2009Hereford UnitedEdgar Street1–22,104Fletcher 60'Match Report
113 October 2009Port ValeVale Park0–04,905Match Report
1210 October 2009ChesterfieldDean Court1–25,896Hollands 75'Match Report
1317 October 2009Accrington StanleyCrown Ground1–01,858Hollands 76'Match Report
1424 October 2009Grimsby TownDean Court3–15,270Connell 27', Linwood 34' (OG), Pitman 87'Match Report
1531 October 2009RochdaleDean Court0–46,378Match Report
1614 November 2009Bradford CityValley Parade1–111,732Pitman 33'Match Report
1721 November 2009Macclesfield TownMoss Rose2–11,413Pitman 45'+1, 78'Match Report
1824 November 2009Dagenham & RedbridgeDean Court0–06,881Match Report
191 December 2009BarnetUnderhill Stadium1–12,030Pitman 44'Match Report
205 December 2009Shrewsbury TownDean Court1–04,652Dunfield 85' (o.g.)Match Report
2112 December 2009MorecambeChristie Park0–52,034Match Report
2226 December 2009Cheltenham TownWhaddon Road1–04,114Feeney 57'

“eddie's early days” now spans his first 12 months as manager. Whatever point you’re trying to make I’m missing it.

What a lot of posts.
I like to leave a game having been entertained.
That's all.
I have been entertained more watching AIs team than any of the other managers since Eddie. And the last season with him wasn't great.

If anyone prioritises results then DC woul have been empty for much of many of the seasons since I've been watching.

I didn't care about last 4 games either tbh. We should be glad we stayed up.

But it p1ssed many off. I personally thought many comments were over the top tbh in that regard.

EEven had people suggesting he may have kept his job if not for those 4 games, which I thought was bizarre tbh. No way Foley woukd have been that short sighted. They would have replaced o Neil even If he won those 4 games.

It wasn't a great end to the season of course, but the monumental achievement of staying up totally eclipsed or removed any concern whatsoever about those 4 performances.
Players clocked out after 7 tough games in april. See that a lot in prem. The palace game was a stinker and team set up looked wrong too but let’s not forget it’s the players on the pitch that could have stepped up.

I say it every time but palace have a knack of stopping teams play. No coincidence that some of our worst games in the prem against non top 6 have been against palace. That includes Eddie

Players clocked out after 7 tough games in april. See that a lot in prem. The palace game was a stinker and team set up looked wrong too but let’s not forget it’s the players on the pitch that could have stepped up.

I say it every time but palace have a knack of stopping teams play. No coincidence that some of our worst games in the prem against non top 6 have been against palace. That includes Eddie

Yep and I have no problem when/if players check out like that tbh.

As long as tgey step up when it counts... which they most certainly did.

All that mattered around feb/March was survival. Which GON and players achieved.

If someone said around thst time, we could survival but players not turn up for final 4 games... who'd have not taken that?

Not ideal. But it's an end resukt business. All that counted last year was survival. Particularly given less than ideal circumstances after first season back, opening few games and lack of squad investment in summer.

Yes not ideal end, but who cares... I certainly dont/didn't.

Yep and I have no problem when/if players check out like that tbh.

As long as tgey step up when it counts... which they most certainly did.

All that mattered around feb/March was survival. Which GON and players achieved.

If someone said around thst time, we could survival but players not turn up for final 4 games... who'd have not taken that?

Not ideal. But it's an end resukt business. All that counted last year was survival. Particularly given less than ideal circumstances after first season back, opening few games and lack of squad investment in summer.

Yes not ideal end, but who cares... I certainly dont/didn't.
I didn’t care tbh and thought we should have beaten Chelsea and should have held Man Utd…but long forgotten now

;