Gary O'Neil

Those that don't like Gary O'Neil only need to IGNORE this Gary O'Neil thread....but then when the two clubs meet again up Molineux on March 16th...all the hatred, hype, elitism and jealousy will surface again.
We won’t be playing at Molyneax (in the league) on the 16th Brian. We’re going on a cup run didn’t you know.

Could be a better bet than Eddie...although Eddie in the short term may be more suitable by virtue of more experience.
Imagine ..two ex Boscombe bosses in line for England !
Well Southgate was a bit like O'Neil when in started in charge of England. Who would have thought then that he'd still be in charge now.

Doing well as he's working with better players?

Not vastly better, but better?
Yeah they have a few individuals who are very technical and good on ball - Neto, Cunha, Hwan, Sarabia and some fast zippy wing backs - better than our team last season.

For many years Wolves were a hard team to break down, didn't score many but didn't conceded many, now they're the opposite so Gary has put his imprint on the team, he does still mainly play 3 at back every game (even Championship WBA away FA Cup) and they still concede quite alot with a back 3 which is like what happened here.

I think he took charge of them at right time, they lost their manager week before season started, sold few players and didn't buy anyone and some people were tipping them to go down so the expectation was low but he's now exceeded expectation.
If everyone else now rates him as the new English managerial messiah then they should thank us for giving him his big first break.
I still think we made the right choice though with Andoni.

I really hope we finish above Wolves, but I hold my hand up and say he is doing a great job.

He does have better players than us though.
That’s the thing.

Iraola suits us better because he has a track record of getting the most out of the squad he is given, much like EH managed to do during our rise.

We are probably likely to always have a squad of “lesser players” compared to most clubs in the division, so that, combined with his entertaining and progressive style of playing, makes him a great fit for us.

If we finish close to Wolves at the end of the season, that ends the debate for me. GO does have a stronger squad than Iraola IMO.

If we can get close to Wolves and be more entertaining in doing so, then I think that will fully justify the board’s decision.

I have nothing against GO by the way. He did well to keep us up.
It was never about that for me. It was about trying to do something different and trying to be progressive. I think we’re on the right track with Iraola but by the end of the season we will know for sure.

:utc:

That’s the thing.

Iraola suits us better because he has a track record of getting the most out of the squad he is given, much like EH managed to do during our rise.

We are probably likely to always have a squad of “lesser players” compared to most clubs in the division, so that, combined with his entertaining and progressive style of playing, makes him a great fit for us.

If we finish close to Wolves at the end of the season, that ends the debate for me. GO does have a stronger squad than Iraola IMO.

If we can get close to Wolves and be more entertaining in doing so, then I think that will fully justify the board’s decision.

I have nothing against GO by the way. He did well to keep us up.
It was never about that for me. It was about trying to do something different and trying to be progressive. I think we’re on the right track with Iraola but by the end of the season we will know for sure.

:utc:
Well said.

Gary's tactics with this set (our set) of players would likely have seen us in serious trouble.

He's done well at Wolves, but don't think he would still be with us had we kept him on.

Let's be honest, beating Chelsea isn't the shock result it should be nowadays, so not the result to judge GON.

Overall pleased he is doing well, liked him as a person but his football was dull for us and we can't forget those last 4 shocking performances.

I'm not sure Wolves' squad is that far ahead of ours. It's certainly ahead of what Gary O'Neil had to work with here but now? Not a lot in it really is there?

;