Gary O'Neil

I’ve only seen the text not the interview. So it’s missing context for me, like the question he was asked and why he gave that answer, the tone in his voice etc.

If it’s an answer that isn’t directly answering the question, like Sean Dyche used to do whilst at Burnley, then obviously it’s not a good look. If it’s

I’ve only seen the text not the interview. So it’s missing context for me, like the question he was asked and why he gave that answer, the tone in his voice etc.

If it’s an answer that isn’t directly answering the question, like Sean Dyche used to do whilst at Burnley, then obviously it’s not a good look. If it’s a direct answer to a direct question then it’s not an issue.

Personally, he always came across as getting “it” at AFCB, now he’s at Wolves his focus is keeping their fans on side so he’s going to say what they want to hear.

I don’t have an issue with that and I don’t think it’s highly unlikeable either.
Nobody asked him about our net spend....he looked up that stat and brought it with him to the press conference in order to explain our improvement this season......because as we all know keeping us up last season was a miracle.

Asked if he felt he could have brought that style Cherries wanted, given the work he has done at Wolves, O’Neil replied: “Without trying to sound rude, answering that question just opens me up to saying they shouldn’t have got rid of me, which I’m not interested in at all.

“If they thought it was the right decision to get rid of me, I’m pleased they got what they wanted and I’m pleased that Andoni is doing a great job.

“My style will constantly evolve. When I was at Bournemouth, I had been a manager for five minutes and now I’ve been a manager for a lot longer.

“I’m always learning and improving and try to fit the style to the playing group I have.

“Bournemouth’s playing group now is very, very different and their style is different.

“They’re incredibly direct. They play long an awful lot.

“They are comfortable with the opposition having the ball, because they just want to press. So it’s very, very different to how we do things.

“But they’ve been successful with it. There’s no one way to do things and Bournemouth are doing very well with the way that they do it at the moment.”

Nobody asked him about our net spend....he looked up that stat and brought it with him to the press conference in order to explain our improvement this season......because as we all know keeping us up last season was a miracle.

He's definitely still got the hump with the decision to sack him and is clearly keen to prove it was the wrong decision. What's the issue with that? Of course he's going to back himself.

'Incredibly direct?'

Load of rubbish.

It’s down to the stats.

IMG_9301.jpeg

Comparing to Wolves, it means we go long on average 8/9 times more often than Wolves per game.

On another point which I find interesting, due to general discussion on style of play.

Wolves will play 78 more passes on average per game, 15 to 16 more backward passes than we do, but that would be a lower percentage.

Last edited:
He's definitely still got the hump with the decision to sack him and is clearly keen to prove it was the wrong decision. What's the issue with that? Of course he's going to back himself.
Of course he'll back himself....I've got no problem with that.....but why bring stats like that into a press conference?.......not many managers would resort to that....Eddie certainly didn't and you couldn't imagine Andoni bothering with it......I mean we all used to expect it off Dyche because he was always trying to justify playing sh1t football......Gon's comments are no different .

Of course he'll back himself....I've got no problem with that.....but why bring stats like that into a press conference?.......not many managers would resort to that....Eddie certainly didn't and you couldn't imagine Andoni bothering with it......I mean we all used to expect it off Dyche because he was always trying to justify playing sh1t football......Gon's comments are no different .

Maybe, I'm not sure it amounts to a major crime on his part though. Generally he was quite respectful in what he said despite the fact he's clearly still not happy with the decision to sack him.

It has made me really want to beat them tonight if I didn't already so I don't completely disagree with you. I just think it's to be expected from someone who was harshly sacked.

It’s down to the stats.

View attachment 13953

Comparing to Wolves, it means we go long on average 8/9 times more often than Wolves per game.

On another point which I find interesting, due to general discussion on style of play.

Wolves will play 78 more passes on average per game, 15 to 16 more backward passes than we do, but that would be a lower percentage.
The difference in shots is quite impressive. https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_scoring_att

It’s down to the stats.

View attachment 13953

There's absolutely nothing wrong with direct play and getting it forward quickly. Leicester's title winning side were more entertaining to watch than endless sideways passes from man city boring the opposition to tears.

Only 2 or 3 shots per game difference.

I should also add with these comparisons that I still believe it was the right decision to oust O’Neil for Andoni and whatever style he’s now implemented at Wolves neither proves or disproves what he could have done here if he had stayed.
Yes 85 more shots....that's a real difference maker.

;