Gary O'Neil

I was in that box:grinning: only by sheer coincidence as my scummer mate got us home tickets right in front of it. They invited us in but I reckon it was for reinforcements as Mitchell was starting to to gob off, fair play he was really giving them some shit:ROFLMAO:. Then it kicked off, Mitchell clan kids and women crying and we missed the free nosh when they all got marched off at HT.

Did they kick them out of the ground? I remember seeing some commotion but couldn't work out what was going on?

They moved them down to a box closer to our lot. I had to exit stage left, something about a dress code for those boxes but had also been sussed by the baying mob, so ended up right down the other end.
They arrived right next to us like victorious Roman generals and started conducting the choir singing their name. My pissed mate who we had part carried into the ground kept saying ‘that’s what I’d do if I owned a football club’ and we kept replying ‘yes, we know’…

I am not in a position to really assess his tactical nous or ability to change a game mid-game but it does seem as though GO is bloody good at motivating the players.
We came out tonight with zero fear, just as it should be. Not bothered by the occasion, we just got stuck into the game. That is a rare thing indeed for us in this fixture and similar situations historically.

Further proof if any were needed was the way he had us recover from the Liverpool thrashing with all of those draws when he took over.
If that is his major strength, I’ll take it, irrespective of other possible deficiencies. For a club like ours, getting the very best out of the players we have will be our best chance of survival.
Also there’s hope that he will improve in other areas over time.
He seems to be very active on the touch line, always trying to influence the game and the players seem really keen to come over and get further instructions. If you have a coach and players working together to be successful that really is half the battle.
He gets my vote for next season, 100%.

I am not in a position to really assess his tactical nous or ability to change a game mid-game but it does seem as though GO is bloody good at motivating the players.
We came out tonight with zero fear, just as it should be. Not bothered by the occasion, we just got stuck into the game. That is a rare thing indeed for us in this fixture and similar situations historically.

Further proof if any were needed was the way he had us recover from the Liverpool thrashing with all of those draws when he took over.
If that is his major strength, I’ll take it, irrespective of other possible deficiencies. For a club like ours, getting the very best out of the players we have will be our best chance of survival.
He seems to be very active on the touch line, always trying to influence the game and the players seem really keen to come over and get further instructions. If you have a coach and players working together to be successful that really is half the battle.
Still not convinced with sitting deep at 65 minutes. But for Var it could have cost us last night. I'm sure it's not the players who decide to step back and they were having a go at O'Neil during the Var check to that effect. We had them by the balls and should have squeezed them, Christie was running on empty when he could introduced Anthony and Outtara. He got away with another one last night but maybe now is not the time.

Still not convinced with sitting deep at 65 minutes. But for Var it could have cost us last night. I'm sure it's not the players who decide to step back and they were having a go at O'Neil during the Var check to that effect. We had them by the balls and should have squeezed them, Christie was running on empty when he could introduced Anthony and Outtara. He got away with another one last night but maybe now is not the time.

Definitely agree that now is not the time, but I also think you’re right about the rest. Southampton were atrocious, I’ve a feeling Leeds will put up more of a fight but they’re also very fragile, so hope we really take it to them and batter them.

Think it’s about time we saw a really convincing home performance now.
Sunday would be the perfect opportunity and would complete a very satisfying double :p
Let’s do this !

17th best home record vs 11th best away record in the prem with 5 wins home and away.

Clear where improvement is needed but I would hope we can beat leeds and Chelsea over the next week. I do hope fatigue isn’t an issue on Sunday though

I don’t disagree but maybe not always that easy. Certainly vs Leicester and saints we were hanging on when we should have been out of sight. My complaint is more that we don’t get the goals we deserve when on top.

A few times GON complains of the team sitting deep rather him choosing to do so / a sign of lack of confidence maybe or tiredness? I think saints rallied a bit bringing on Adams and Armstrong on the hour

It’s funny that leeds were criticised for being open vs Leicester and not sitting deep to protect a 1-0 earlier in the week.

When we won 3-1 at saints, the same pattern emerged where we were miles ahead first half but sat deep second to hang on for the win…and that was under Eddie!

Last edited:
I have seen written somewhere that DOF gets a list of positions that the manager wants to bring in then he works on some targets knowing the budget they are spending and DOF and head coach then pick the players from that, so generally head coach will lean towards the ones he wants first. I doubt very much that DOF just buys random players and expects them to fit in that wouldn't work in any business model
Seems to be what Chelsea are doing

those qualities you outline are precisely why from day one I have been positive about GON and wanted him in the job.

he is a rookie so will make errors but, for a relegation scrap he is an ideal choice.

I was never sure about a second season if he kept us up and had assumed we would make a change for the long term success of the club - hence he was only on an 18 month contract. Last few weeks, however, means changing manager could be a huge gamble now unless it is a top end appointment. GON better choice than bielsa now imho

I can't remember the last time I posted, and I'm sure everyone has already said what I'm about to say, but here we go.

I have been very pro GON since his bounce post Parker. I am of the opinion that he should be kept on and the reasons are this:

* He is a young, homegrown coach learning his trade on the job. He has worked under Klopp previously and clearly is eager to learn and improve. Yes we have flaws, but the entitlement I see from some of the fan base on different platforms that we should be beyond where we are blows my mind. No team is entitled to be anywhere. This guy is passionate and diligent. Mistakes are made, but hopefully with a pre-season, these can be addressed.

* He has taken a group of players from an absolute pit of confidence a few months ago to being one of the best performers in the league in recent weeks. There are blips like West Ham, but so what, one team has to win and all teams have bad days.

* I'd be cautious at looking at greener grass. Brighton were lucky/well-informed about De Zerbi, but look at all the others who have changed managers around us. Only Wolves and Palace seem to have done well. Southampton, Leicester, Leeds, Chelsea(?) have not. I certainly don't want us on that merry-go-round.

* Giving GON, a young homegrown coach, a chance would be rather refreshing in a league where panicked decision making brings in dross like Allardyce, Moyes, Dyche etc. I'd like us to be more organic in this sense and with a backroom staff made up of a lot of recently retired ex players, who are also learning, I'm rather excited by this set up.

I think it would be extremely harsh to replace him this summer.

I don’t disagree but maybe not always that easy. Certainly vs Leicester and saints we were hanging on when we should have been out of sight. My complaint is more that we don’t get the goals we deserve when on top.

A few times GON complains of the team sitting deep rather him choosing to do so / a sign of lack of confidence maybe or tiredness? I think saints rallied a bit bringing on Adams and Armstrong on the hour

It’s funny that leeds were criticised for being open vs Leicester and not sitting deep to protect a 1-0 earlier in the week.

When we won 3-1 at saints, the same pattern emerged where we were miles ahead first half but sat deep second to hang on for the win…and that was under Eddie!
I think it is often an energy thing, we were playing with a very high level of intensity and certain players just tired I think. Billing in particular looked like he could barely even break into a jog after the 60th minute. Billing has been fantastic this season but when he isn’t pressing high he is a bit of a passenger, we really should have brought fresh legs on a lot earlier than we did. As poor as Southampton were, they were able to dominate the last third of the game simply by having fresh legs in their attack.

I can't remember the last time I posted, and I'm sure everyone has already said what I'm about to say, but here we go.

I have been very pro GON since his bounce post Parker. I am of the opinion that he should be kept on and the reasons are this:

* He is a young, homegrown coach learning his trade on the job. He has worked under Klopp previously and clearly is eager to learn and improve. Yes we have flaws, but the entitlement I see from some of the fan base on different platforms that we should be beyond where we are blows my mind. No team is entitled to be anywhere. This guy is passionate and diligent. Mistakes are made, but hopefully with a pre-season, these can be addressed.

* He has taken a group of players from an absolute pit of confidence a few months ago to being one of the best performers in the league in recent weeks. There are blips like West Ham, but so what, one team has to win and all teams have bad days.

* I'd be cautious at looking at greener grass. Brighton were lucky/well-informed about De Zerbi, but look at all the others who have changed managers around us. Only Wolves and Palace seem to have done well. Southampton, Leicester, Leeds, Chelsea(?) have not. I certainly don't want us on that merry-go-round.

* Giving GON, a young homegrown coach, a chance would be rather refreshing in a league where panicked decision making brings in dross like Allardyce, Moyes, Dyche etc. I'd like us to be more organic in this sense and with a backroom staff made up of a lot of recently retired ex players, who are also learning, I'm rather excited by this set up.

I think it would be extremely harsh to replace him this summer.
Some interesting points here some I agree with and some i don’t. I think he is passionate and I think he has some good tactical nous. In short I think he is a good coach I’m yet to be convinced he is a good head coach\manager and has the presence and aura to really grab a squad that will have money thrown at them and lead them up the league.

Points I disagree with. He didn’t work for Klopp or as part of his team. He was assistant to Dan Bastea in the U23 team. Massive difference. I don’t think Moyes is dross… seriously? You mention the teams that have changed manager but two of them Saints and Chelsea appointed caretakers not considered future options. You also omitted Villa who were behind us when they appointed their manager. There are other De Zerbi type managers out there for a researched and networked board.

I think if he continues this form it’s going to be a tough decision. Win three of the remaining games and the risk of removing him becomes too great and he will start next season. I’d like to see us dominate a couple of home games though it’s been awhile. If he doesn’t do well then we should say thanks and goodbye. In my ideal world he would stay and work with a new manager as a perfect balance but that’s highly unlikely.

;