Giving Anal for 10 minutes

dragonm8

UTC Legend
Sorry can't change the thread title as per Vitals rules, was a typo.

But what's the point of givin Enis Unal 10 or less minutes when Solanke was way off the pace.

He really was eliminated out of the game as a lone front man.

Around the 70 minute mark it looked like it was time to introduce 2 up front, spread Palaces legs apart, and really stick it up them.

AI said Unal was sick leading up to the game, guess he may not have been fit enough for more minutes

I think you alluded to the problem Unal was isolated but then so was Solanke. Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight but Kluviert has more positional discipline and gets much closer to striker with the idea of bringing Solanke more into the game and allowing him to drift a bit too.

If we were losing I could see us playing two up top though with defensive player taken off.

EDIT: Just seen the title. Was the thread title about why you missed Unal's cameo? Did you misspell receiving?

I think you alluded to the problem Unal was isolated but then so was Solanke. Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight but Kluviert has more positional discipline and gets much closer to striker with the idea of bringing Solanke more into the game and allowing him to drift a bit too.
Was a hard watch today was Dom.

Barely got a touch or got involved.

Not sure why but he appeared to have been well marshaled by a lower league PL team.

Has Gareth made a mistake?

On last night's showing the answer is no.

Was a hard watch today was Dom.

Barely got a touch or got involved.

Not sure why but he appeared to have been well marshaled by a lower league PL team.

Has Gareth made a mistake?

On last night's showing the answer is no.

To be fair I don't understand his competition anywhere near as well as Southgate but I think Dom could comfortably play in the Kane role and seems a better fit for it than the alternatives.

AI likes to play extremely directly from the middle third meaning that Dom can't really come deep like Kane does for England as two seconds later the the ball will be in the final third and he'll be nowhere near it.

But I think you're right, Solanke did struggle against a back three particularly with Billing drifting around behind him.

To be fair I don't understand his competition anywhere near as well as Southgate but I think Dom could comfortably play in the Kane role and seems a better fit for it than the alternatives.

AI likes to play extremely directly from the middle third meaning that Dom can't really come deep like Kane does for England as two seconds later the the ball will be in the final third and he'll be nowhere near it.

But I think you're right, Solanke did struggle against a back three particularly with Billing drifting around behind him.
Wilson in the recent era was the only Bournemouth player who could genuinely create something out of nothing, and he was rightly credited as an England squad player.

Solanke is our talisman, but he certainly isn't England quality in most people's opinion.

If he whacks away 15-20 goals a season, next season in our team, or a 'better' one he will have earned his place.

Solanke is amazing for us, but can't see him hitting 20 a season for any other team.

Better to be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big pond.

Could you honestly see Solanke moving to Bayern and hitting 25 goals in a season?

As a counter argument, Dom always drops deep for us.

That's why he's valuable to us, but not the England squad.

International level football and domestic football are poles apart.

If Solanke dropped deep in an International, who's taking up his place up front.

Ollie Watkins, Harry Kane etc.

You have your best player who drops deep and different strikers to compliment that.

We all love Solanke, but unless he starts wracking in goals from the edge of the area Ala Wilson or Kane, or even Bamford for God's sake, he is well down the order.

Wilson in the recent era was the only Bournemouth player who could genuinely create something out of nothing, and he was rightly credited as an England squad player.

Solanke is our talisman, but he certainly isn't England quality in most people's opinion.

If he whacks away 15-20 goals a season, next season in our team, or a 'better' one he will have earned his place.

Solanke is amazing for us, but can't see him hitting 20 a season for any other team.

Better to be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big pond.
It seems to be the standard chatter in the media about him playing for England.

He's joint 2nd top scorer in the league, joint 1st with penalties removed. A lot of that is due to the style of play actually giving him some service but there's a lot he is doing on his own. He's outscoring Nunez, Isak, Salah, Son, etc. That's not an easy feat.

I've waxed lyrical about Wilson for years but I'm genuinely not sure if I'd have a 26 year old Wilson or a 26 year old Solanke in the team. Maybe that's a good poll.

Maybe he wouldn't hit 20 for another team but only about 2 or 3 players a season ever do.

If Solanke dropped deep in an International, who's taking up his place up front.

You have your best player who drops deep and different strikers to compliment that.

We all love Solanke, but unless he starts wracking in goals from the edge of the area Ala Wilson or Kane, or even Bamford for God's sake, he is well down the order.
Kane plays deep for England.

Solanke is now playing further up field:
"He has long had a tendency to drop deep, something which was encouraged under his first manager at Bournemouth, Eddie Howe, who used to talk up his selflessness in putting the team first.

Solanke is less active in deeper areas, with more focus on the opposition box

But Iraola has sought to use him differently, maximising his goal threat by asking him to stay higher up the pitch. His actions by zone map shows he is much less active in the middle third. His percentage of touches in the opposition box has risen from 15 to 20."

Could you honestly see Solanke moving to Bayern and hitting 25 goals in a season?
Had a quick look at top scorers since the 17/18 season it's only been achieved 5 times by three players Lewandowski, Haaland and Kane. I'm not sure that's a fair benchmark for determining whether Solanke is a good fit as Kane's understudy.

TBF Kane drops deep a lot for England too... and falls over a lot as a result and somehow keeps conning refs!

As @Kudos mentions, I think Dom is closer to Kane, in terms of style/team contribution than Watkins and Toney... certainly Toney anyway. Toney is quicker, more selfish (not always bad thing as striker...), but he's much more limited in terms of all round game than Dom is imo.

Outstanding (eye-opening tbh) goal return this season, for a relative minnow in the top flight.

Plus his pedigree (Chelseas and Liverpool) and how highly regarded he was when young (destined for top/England striker etc) adds to his case, that he's the real deal for me. Incredible work ethic, attitude to keep improving. He's now realizing and demonstrating that very high potential through years of hard work, and he hasn't reached his ceiling yet imo.

Can we change the thread title? It's disrespectful and unnecessary. It's a discussion about Dom anyway so could shift it to the Dom thread and delete.

Anyway the question is not how many Dom would score in Germany the question is how many the other England strikers would get in AFCBs current side. Personally I think Watkins and Toney would also fill their boots with goals in this side.

Iraola has turned Solanke into a top flight scorer by playing him differently. England like their centre forward to drop deep which was how GON played him.

;