Goal difference

One of my "hopes" for this season is that we finally finish with a positive GD. Last year, only the top 6 did. If we can manage that, it will be a massive achievement.

One of my "hopes" for this season is that we finally finish with a positive GD. Last year, only the top 6 did. If we can manage that, it will be a massive achievement.

Don't get ahead of ourselves here

Conceding less than 60 goals will be a start:grinning:

There's no reason that only 6 teams can have a positive GD; it's just turned out that way because of the dominance of those clubs. If the league were a bit more equal you could easily have 8 or 9 teams with positive GD.
I would be thrilled if we finished 8th and had a +GD.

There's no reason that only 6 teams can have a positive GD; it's just turned out that way because of the dominance of those clubs. If the league were a bit more equal you could easily have 8 or 9 teams with positive GD.
I would be thrilled if we finished 8th and had a +GD.

Our goal difference last season was -16. Our GD was -19 against the top 6 meaning we +3 against the rest of the league.

Now there is room for improvement against the top 6, but also bear in mind we had a few one goal defeats (rare for us) and a 3-0 win in these games, -19 won't be an easy number to improve on. I think being +3 against the rest of the league, in an apparently fairly lacklustre campaign is rather impressive really.

All in all, I can only see a maximum of one club outside the top 6 with a +GD and for it to be us, we'd have to have a sensational season.

After only 2 games this season, the top 8 have a positive goal difference. The teams in 9th and 10th (Manure and Palace HA!!) have a zero goal difference. The remaining 10 clubs already have negative goal differences.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics!!

The +3 stat is very encouraging, thanks for that TC. We’re bound to ship a few in some of the top 6 games so a positive GD is going some but obviously we’re all hoping we’re heading in the right direction.

What really killed us last season was
3-0 ARS
4-0 LIV
4-0 MCI
4-1 HUD (!!) *although we did beat them 4-0 in the other fixture
4-1 TOT
3-0 LIV

Those blowouts account for a -20 GD right there.
And apart from beating Huddersfield Town 4-0 (and Chelsea 3-0), we didn't give anyone a good drubbing (à la Hull City the previous season).

If the blowouts above vs the top 6 (ie, excluding HUD) were only 1-goal losses, that would have boosted our GD by 12 pts.
And we all know we should have scored more against the crap teams last season.

;