Good news thread

If you are based around Bournemouth then Throop Mill is a good place to see them. Either on the mill pond or the mill stream before or after the mill. A couple of yrs ago they were nesting in the bank about 10mtrs downstream of the mill building. We had one in the garden once, we're about 1.25 miles from the mill.

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely try out these places.

Reading these posts. Why do we waste our time angsting about 22 blokes kicking a ball about when there are so many better things we could do with our time and hard earned money?

Genuine question.[/

back in the day before recent success, we used to stay over for away games in great places like York, Chester etc and we always concluded the 90 mins football was the worst part of the weekend!

Pancreatic cancer can be reversed by so-called ‘gremlin’ therapy, scientists have found in a landmark discovery.

Early findings suggest that a gene and protein known as Grem1, or “gremlin”, may play a central role in controlling and fighting the disease.

Pancreatic cancer has a notoriously high mortality rate, with only 7% of patients surviving for five years or more. Each year, more than 10,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with the disease, with around 9,000 deaths.

https://www.uktimenews.com/gremlin-therapy-could-reverse-deadly-pancreatic-cancer/

Pancreatic cancer can be reversed by so-called ‘gremlin’ therapy, scientists have found in a landmark discovery.

Early findings suggest that a gene and protein known as Grem1, or “gremlin”, may play a central role in controlling and fighting the disease.

Pancreatic cancer has a notoriously high mortality rate, with only 7% of patients surviving for five years or more. Each year, more than 10,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with the disease, with around 9,000 deaths.

https://www.uktimenews.com/gremlin-therapy-could-reverse-deadly-pancreatic-cancer/
Lost my Dad to this almost 6 years ago. He was unwell for a while but they couldnt find anything, then from the point of absolute confirmation, it was 3 weeks before we said our goodbyes. it is indeed a nasty one

Lost my Dad to this almost 6 years ago. He was unwell for a while but they couldnt find anything, then from the point of absolute confirmation, it was 3 weeks before we said our goodbyes. it is indeed a nasty one

Sorry to hear that Gary.

Just got back from our holiday in Northumberland and read your post.

Next trip will be an evening down to the Sang.

Didn’t see a kingfisher while we were away, but we went on a 3 hour boat trip which took us close up to the rocks around the Farne Islands and finally going ashore for an hour on Inner Farne.

They have 80,000 puffins on those islands and we saw a good number up close, fascinating birds, walk a bit like a penguin.

We were told to wear hats as the terns on the island will attack your heads and that did happen, but not only did they attack people, they attacked the puffins.

While we watched a puffin came back with small eels it had caught, four ganged up on one puffin, trying to get the eels, but they were unlucky as the puffin hopped down his borrow out of their reach.

There were masses of these burrows that the puffins build and each puffin we were told have their own burrow that they come back to the same burrow the following year to breed. Never seen so many birds close up as we did on that trip.

I know you have links with the North East, so you may have seen this for yourself, but it was a very entertaining and interesting hour on the island.

We had planned this holiday four years or more ago but had to postpone it, but we finally made it and what a beautiful area and the people are so friendly and helpful and if you like quiet A roads etc that’s the place to be.

you can see them during the day, but they are quite shy so best when quiet. we were there approx 6-7pm. they fly in short bursts, in straight lines, a few feet above the water, stopping on quite low overhanging branches. sometimes you'll see one stay on a low branch for a bit, and do some fishing. they are very territorial, so will chase off & fight other kingfishers. never seen so many as the spot by the sang, can only assume maybe there was a loads of younguns flying around. good luck!

Went down the Sang tonight to the exact spot and bench you mentioned.

We arrived at around 7.30 pm and all was quiet nothing showing.

My wife and I both had binoculars and picked up a larger heron than normal down stream on the right bank, them my wife said seen it and up quite high in the tree on same bank near a weeping willow was a kingfisher sitting quietly on a branch.

Couldn’t be seen by the naked eye, but through the binoculars was a beautiful site I have been waiting to see for two years.

Thanks Rob, that has made my day.

Went down the Sang tonight to the exact spot and bench you mentioned.

We arrived at around 7.30 pm and all was quiet nothing showing.

My wife and I both had binoculars and picked up a larger heron than normal down stream on the right bank, them my wife said seen it and up quite high in the tree on same bank near a weeping willow was a kingfisher sitting quietly on a branch.

Couldn’t be seen by the naked eye, but through the binoculars was a beautiful site I have been waiting to see for two years.

Thanks Rob, that has made my day.

great stuff - we're just back from badbury rings - there were three woody woodpeckers flitting around a tree - beautiful evening

If the opening game between Palace and Arsenal on Friday 5th ends in a draw plus Fulham and Liverpool draw in the early kick - off on the 6th ..and then Boscombe score in the first few minutes v Villa, before any other teams score, then we go momentarily Top of the English League for the first time in our History..what a moment that would be. as we peruse the live table on our devices...
.and then folks..If we record the best score of the weekend ....that means we stay Top and that would put the Man City people under severe pressure in the next game to knock us off that pinnacle.

Last edited:
Some penguins modify their vocal calls to become more similar to their partners and colony over time, an ability that was previously known in only a few species, including humans.

Luigi Baciadonna at the University of Turin, Italy, and his colleagues recorded African penguins (Spheniscus demersus) from three different colonies over three years, and also observed the behavioural patterns of one of the colonies to see which penguins were partners or friendly.

They then analysed specific vocal calls, which the penguins make when they are isolated or trying to keep track of their friends. They compared four distinct audio signatures that represent features such as the frequency and amplitude of the calls. The signatures became more similar over time for penguins that were partners or in the same colony, and for penguins that heard more of each other’s calls.

This adaptation could make it easier for penguins to find their partners and friends in a colony. “Imagine that you are in a pub, you are with your friends and the noise of your environment is really super noisy,” says Baciadonna. “What you do is try to start to talk in a certain way so that your communication is more effective.”

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...eir-accents-to-sound-more-like-their-friends/

Very minor compared to the other stuff - but I can run on my ankle again after spraining it badly over 2 weeks ago. Look where you are going people - don't look at your watch instead of uneven ground!

The annoyance level was raised as it was 4 days before my 50th. Us runners have this silver lining of getting older and going to a new age group and being one of the young ones, So cocked that up. Hey ho!!

;