Gordon

View attachment 12368

Hang on in there mate, you are still a legend

And for those of you going "Who he?", he's got his very own Wiki page..

Eat your heart out Brian. :grinning:

Really good
View attachment 12368

Hang on in there mate, you are still a legend

And for those of you going "Who he?", he's got his very own Wiki page..

Eat your heart out Brian. :grinning:
It’s good to know he’s still around. Keep fighting and keep kicking off Gordon!

Talking of characters, you may be interested in this website.

Gordon is mentioned on Pages 2/7.

Anyone remember Paper Man at Stamford Bridge. An old bloke who used to turn up for games in the old West Stand benches with about 20 different newspapers, and read them during the match. Don't know why he bothered to turn up at all.

Last edited:
He was one of the things that was once just a part of the club. Stood at the back wall of the BBE to the right looking from the South End. Dog beside him. Golden retriever? Labrador.

I also recall him at the south end with his daughter? She was quite young, maybe 10, frizzy hair that looked a bit wild and kept running in and out of the crowd to the extent that the back of the SE started cheering every time she emerged.

Talking of characters, you may be interested in this website.

Gordon is mentioned on Pages 2/7.

Anyone remember Paper Man at Stamford Bridge. An old bloke who used to turn up for games in the old West Stand benches with about 20 different newspapers, and read them during the match. Don't know why he bothered to turn up at all.

When I moved down to Worthing in the 70s, there was a well-known local eccentric we called Burlington Bertie. He used to dress like something out of the 1920s and ride around on an old-fashioned bike, then park himself by a busy roundabout and spend the afternoon waving to all the passing traffic.

I never spoke to him but apparently he could be extremely rude if you approached him, so not such a loveable character after all.

He was one of the things that was once just a part of the club. Stood at the back wall of the BBE to the right looking from the South End. Dog beside him. Golden retriever? Labrador.

I also recall him at the south end with his daughter? She was quite young, maybe 10, frizzy hair that looked a bit wild and kept running in and out of the crowd to the extent that the back of the SE started cheering every time she emerged.

His dog, a lab crossbreed I think, seemed timeless.

Can't remember her name, he did tell me once.

Anyone?

Just remembered, wasn't his party trick being able to tell you the exact time without a watch?

When I moved down to Worthing in the 70s, there was a well-known local eccentric we called Burlington Bertie. He used to dress like something out of the 1920s and ride around on an old-fashioned bike, then park himself by a busy roundabout and spend the afternoon waving to all the passing traffic.

I never spoke to him but apparently he could be extremely rude if you approached him, so not such a loveable character after all.

Do you know this ‘Cat’ David?

Perhaps not so much a local character but my favourite is the 'Camden Cat'. Before Covid I used to look forward to seeing the Camden Cat with his guitar on a late train home on the London to Brighton line. It seemed no matter which time train I was on, he was there playing the same tunes. My partner would also bump into him and video call me at the same time. He started to recognise us and for some reason I have his phone number. He has lived a colourful life for sure. I believe he now lives in Worthing and calls himself the Worthing Rat.

;