Harry/Refereeing

Def_II_Royalz

Star Player
I was unable to watch the game but caught the highlights on MOTD.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS NEW REFEREEING DIRECTIVE.

I agree that Harry was daft for remonstrating with the lino today but seriously, is this even competitive sport anymore? Football, especially at this level, is high stakes stuff, emotions will run high, so this policing of players' personalities does not sit well with me at all. I'm all for anything that dissuades an entire team crowding and influencing the ref, but it makes no sense to book someone for shouting at the lino from 20 yards away. You're asking players to negate themselves in a way does not make sense to me at all.

The whole thing is unpleasantly authoritarian.

..... I think if I actually thought rationally about most aspects of modern football, I wouldn't want anything to do with it - it stinks

but I don't :help:

I agree to a certain point, and if you take a step back, I thought the sarcastic clapping was probably worth the yellow, whereas just shouting in frustration is different.

What does frustrate me more is the inconsistencies with the refereeing within the same game, let alone game to game. I still have no idea how Noble didn't get a single yellow in the game.

Sarcastic clapping got you a yellow the last few years too, it's just stupid.

Also can I ask why a football game is higher stakes than a Rugby World Cup Final? Why are those players still able to keep themselves in check but a footballer can't?

It's simply how they have been brought up thinking it's ok to mouth off at the referees. There will be tons of yellows and reds at first but it will soon die out.

The only problem I have with it is it's only applied in England, so we'll have our European teams being able to gif refs a bit of mouth during the week in European games but then not at the weekend. Same applies to the national team.

Costa can get away with all sorts of antics and cards not given in two games.

Harry gets sent off for that.

Clearly another rule for us.

Although I totally accept that the rules now state that Harry can't get away with his back chat.

But would Costa have been sent off for the same offenses?

Harry was protesting that it wasn't handball. It was. His arm was up and that's handball. It has become the norm for players to claim everything and protest everything. Its about discipline. Self discipline. I thought Harry had got on top of it.

In this instance, I don't think anyone can really legislate for Arter's outburst... Everyone in the entire stadium knew that any sort aggression towards any official was gonna end with them in the book... EH said in both interviews it has been drummed into them...

Arter just needs to man up and accept the responsibility for his antics and us being at only 10 for the last and most crucial part of the game...

I'm not a fan, it's just a draconionian response to the symptom rather than attempting to deal with the root problem.

On top of that it's another wishy washy rule that effectively gives the officials further scope to influence games.

SteveJonesLegend - 22/8/2016 08:42

In this instance, I don't think anyone can really legislate for Arter's outburst... Everyone in the entire stadium knew that any sort aggression towards any official was gonna end with them in the book... EH said in both interviews it has been drummed into them...

Arter just needs to man up and accept the responsibility for his antics and us being at only 10 for the last and most crucial part of the game...

This is fine, I agree. The thing that galls me is how Mark Noble did the same at least as many times and got nothing. There were countless other inconsistent decisions yesterday that all went against us.

fritter - 22/8/2016 08:36

Harry was protesting that it wasn't handball. It was. His arm was up and that's handball. It has become the norm for players to claim everything and protest everything. Its about discipline. Self discipline. I thought Harry had got on top of it.

^^^^^
This

I cannot fathom how anyone can look at the two incidents and not be in any doubt he deserved two yellow cards. It was always going to be Arter who came a cropper first. His mistakes likely cost us a point through petulance, we'll see exactly how costly that is come May.

;