Has Eddie taken us as far as he can?

Is this this the time to say thanks and good luck?

• Total voters
I haven’t read every comment so apologies if I’m repeating anything.

I look at it a lot like a player transfer.
If Eddie got his marching orders who would he be replaced by?
If we are not content then we would be after someone who will take us higher up the table, no one with a track record of that will come to Bournemouth, therefore (much like our player purchases) we would have to get someone in based on perceived potential. A risky tactic.

If Eddie wasn’t such a fan of Bournemouth he would of been poached by now I would have thought.
The man has vision and seems transfixed on getting the club somewhere for the sake of the good of the club and it’s fans. Why would I want anyone else ?

I guess whilst Max is here and wants to be involved with AFCB then Eddie may stay too? However if we as a club have reached our potential and Max loses the will to invest in the infrastructure, fair enough Eddie would move on as he must have a career mapped out in his head and want to achieve the best he can for his own fulfillment. There does seem to be an unrealistic sense of expectation from many fans thesedays, we are in a massive pool...and still a very small fish!

As a club we can’t have the attitude if Eddie leaves we are screwed. If that is genuinely the attitude of the people who run or work for the club then we’ll never reach our potential. That applies even if Eddie stays as manager too.

Of course it won’t be easy if Eddie does leave. He has such an influence over many aspects of the club it’s more than a manager we would be losing.

I‘d like to think some form of succession planning was in place. I believe Eddie does delegate more than he used to. Of course many of his staff would go with him but hopefully we have structures in place to help with any transition.

And let’s not forget, he isn’t the only talented coach in the world. Some relative unknowns have come into the PL and thrived. Unlikely as it seems, we have to have the attitude of building on Eddie’s success rather rueing his departure when it does happen.

Are we lucky to have him? Its not luck , the club pays him to do a job and he's done that job very well since returning. We're privileged to have a good manager but the fans of sheff utd , villa , Norwich, Burnley , wolves etc will feel exactly the same way about their manager. Why? Because they have had recent success.
Has he taken us a far as he can? Probably. We are what we are and have to accept that, a small club with a small fanbase playing in a small stadium with a smallish budget. In that respect he has achieved remarkably , however, he has failings. His transfer signings have been questionable at times. His seemingly lack of trust in new players and their ability once they sign. Question marks over coaching here?? His blind loyalty to 'the old guard' . His team selections and formations. He has failings. Do I want to see him go? No, absolutely not but until we see the club invest in our stadium and infrastructure then let's be honest every season is going to be about finishing higher than 18th.

Blind loyalty to the old guard? You mean like Pitman, Yann, Elphick, Arter, or Boruc?!

Never playing new signings? You mean like Lerma, or Billing?! Lloyd Kelly would have started the season at left back had he been fit, Harry Wilson was straight in the team. Jordon Ibe was signed and went straight in the team.

As a club we can’t have the attitude if Eddie leaves we are screwed. If that is genuinely the attitude of the people who run or work for the club then we’ll never reach our potential. That applies even if Eddie stays as manager too.

Of course it won’t be easy if Eddie does leave. He has such an influence over many aspects of the club it’s more than a manager we would be losing.

I‘d like to think some form of succession planning was in place. I believe Eddie does delegate more than he used to. Of course many of his staff would go with him but hopefully we have structures in place to help with any transition.

And let’s not forget, he isn’t the only talented coach in the world. Some relative unknowns have come into the PL and thrived. Unlikely as it seems, we have to have the attitude of building on Eddie’s success rather rueing his departure when it does happen.
This is a very balanced view, TPC, and has been bouncing around in my mind for a bit. Similar to a time in my work career when three of our most senior and long-serving leaders retired within a year of one another. Lots of institutional memory was lost, but some others stepped up and we continued to be the biggest provider in the industry.

One aspect that I don't see mentioned often would be the impact on the more senior players who have been with Eddie for much of their career. Callum, Josh, Cookie, Smith - I fear that some of them might go into a period of shock if Eddie left, which would cause the opposite of a new manager bounce.

This is a very balanced view, TPC, and has been bouncing around in my mind for a bit. Similar to a time in my work career when three of our most senior and long-serving leaders retired within a year of one another. Lots of institutional memory was lost, but some others stepped up and we continued to be the biggest provider in the industry.

One aspect that I don't see mentioned often would be the impact on the more senior players who have been with Eddie for much of their career. Callum, Josh, Cookie, Smith - I fear that some of them might go into a period of shock if Eddie left, which would cause the opposite of a new manager bounce.

That’s what happened back in the JB era, players left with the manager.

I agree with the top bit but when it’s the person that has taken you miles further than you have been before the risk is more significant and you should face it through necessity not choice!

I wouldn’t worry about players dropping they tend to be quite selfish animals. The bigger worry is you could see a few following as we know Eddie likes familiarity.

As to how many go with EH would depend on whom we replace EH with.

When JB went to Norwich, we replaced him with Trevor Hartley, and then replaced Hartley with John Benson. Hardly surprising that there was an exodus of players wanting away.

We don’t. But nobody is on here asking why we didn’t beat Man City. These are the posts that irritate me. Wolves have spent a whole heap less money than Man City but beat them 2-0 playing with their own style and tempo.

But Wolves have spent more 200 million in 2 seasons. People talk about Fulham buying their way into the PL but that's what Wolves have done, just a lot more successfully. They've been able to build a squad as good as, if not better, than ours in half the time and because they bought a lot of players who'd been on loan it hasn't upset the team spirit and they haven't had to adapt to a new system. As you said in your report, I think, on Saturday they all know what they're doing because most of them have been doing it since they were in the Championship. For me, that's the big difference. Imo if we could play for 90 minutes the way we played for 45 against Arsenal or the way we played against Man U we could definitely beat Man City and probably Liverpool. When it all clicks we look twice the team we looked in the first half on Saturday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the second half of the season.

But Wolves have spent more 200 million in 2 seasons. People talk about Fulham buying their way into the PL but that's what Wolves have done, just a lot more successfully. They've been able to build a squad as good as, if not better, than ours in half the time and because they bought a lot of players who'd been on loan it hasn't upset the team spirit and they haven't had to adapt to a new system. As you said in your report, I think, on Saturday they all know what they're doing because most of them have been doing it since they were in the Championship. For me, that's the big difference. Imo if we could play for 90 minutes the way we played for 45 against Arsenal or the way we played against Man U we could definitely beat Man City and probably Liverpool. When it all clicks we look twice the team we looked in the first half on Saturday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the second half of the season.
I agree with most of this. Remember when we first came up we probably played our most fluid football in the first 2 seasons as the side was still fairly settled.

We seem to struggle to put 2 halves together. Often we start quickly then stop playing. Or we have a really ponderous first half and then come out fired up after the break.

I do wonder if we are overcoached at times. Is strict adherence to the tactical set up at the expense of creative freedom? To be honest though, the players can’t be spoon fed everything. You can’t totally blame Eddie if players aren’t taking responsibility for just doing the basics.

I agree with most of this. Remember when we first came up we probably played our most fluid football in the first 2 seasons as the side was still fairly settled.

We seem to struggle to put 2 halves together. Often we start quickly then stop playing. Or we have a really ponderous first half and then come out fired up after the break.

I do wonder if we are overcoached at times. Is strict adherence to the tactical set up at the expense of creative freedom? To be honest though, the players can’t be spoon fed everything. You can’t totally blame Eddie if players aren’t taking responsibility for just doing the basics.
There is a definite correlation between having free thoughts and not playing/being bombed out. Interesting when you remember Marc Wilson being told off for shooting from long range and Fraser saying they were told off for crossing the ball in the Norwich game I think it was. I think we have quite a dictated way of playing. The fact we didn’t bend at all to try and fit six yard box players we signed like Defoe and Murray also speaks volumes.

Yes, Neil you have it exactly, Eddie is a control freak, the team has to play according to his rigid plans which stiffles natural individual talent. Ibe of all the players has been overcoached and this has totally destroyed his confidence. I am in no doubt he would be a great player under other managers.

The same with Solanke, who has been here 10 months and is yet to score for us but did score when England Under 21s played here, and also to many others who have left the club and go on to scoring more goals then when they were here.

On the other hand King was one who did have a lot of coaching work on him which worked, as he was awful when he first came here. So it works with some players but with more often than not it doesn't.

Yes, Neil you have it exactly, Eddie is a control freak, the team has to play according to his rigid plans which stiffles natural individual talent. Ibe of all the players has been overcoached and this has totally destroyed his confidence. I am in no doubt he would be a great player under other managers.

The same with Solanke, who has been here 10 months and is yet to score for us but did score when England Under 21s played here, and also to many others who have left the club and go on to scoring more goals then when they were here.

On the other hand King was one who did have a lot of coaching work on him which worked, as he was awful when he first came here. So it works with some players but with more often than not it doesn't.
:fish::fish::fish:

Blind loyalty to the old guard? You mean like Pitman, Yann, Elphick, Arter, or Boruc?!

Never playing new signings? You mean like Lerma, or Billing?! Lloyd Kelly would have started the season at left back had he been fit, Harry Wilson was straight in the team. Jordon Ibe was signed and went straight in the team.
How about Mings going to Villa being played and now has sights on the National side, Mousset leading the line effectively for Sheffield! Even Murray and Defoe have gone on to be prolific goal scorers at their new clubs. I don't think EH gives his new signings enough opportunities. It's as though the signings he makes are always to cover positions but when the opportunity comes to justify using them he seems reluctant to do so. This can't be good for the confidence and moral of the individuals who are probably desperate to make their mark. This is compounded when they are being warmed up on the touchline week after week and given the occasional 6mins! He could use the squad far better by rotating more often. It's no use throwing them all together in a Carrabo Cup preliminary round and expecting them to be ready for the big games in the PL.

;