Have we become entitled

I mention this only because against my better nature I booed the team off at half time on Weds evening. Something I am not sure I ever did in the lower league days.
Also based on the abuse a fan gave Neto at half time.
Think our expectations at home sometimes exceed realism.....although I feel sometimes a desperation to maximise the good days which ironically spoils my experience of them.

I saw Andoni boo the players off.

When you're 0-3 down to a newly promoted team, who are second from bottom at home, people have a right to boo.

It's an entertainment business, and when your team is being humiliated half way through an encounter, you have a right to express your opinion as a paying fan.

It's the wokeness of being 'unsure' if you can, or are 'allowed' to express your opinion.

If the whole home support is doing it, then they are merely expressing a collective opinion.

Grow some balls for Gods sake.

I think the answer to that depends on your age. If you're 20 and all you have known/ can remember is PL or promotion chasing seasons, you probably are allowed to boo at 3 down. If you can remember Benson or Quinn as managers or Showers or Ashworth playing, you should be grateful for 3 down at home to Luton in the PL!

I think AFCB has taught me to so much from my first game in 1969 through to the present.
We are a unique club in so many ways and I just appreciate having seen them in all leagues and guises!
I only wish John Bond had taken us up in 1972…because believe we could have made it to the old Division 1 IMO…but fate took us into another direction ( thanks NorwichCity!)
Had that happened I think we would have a very different AFCB now.
But being in the over hyped and ridiculously money soaked PL is a massive thing.
I would NEVER boo the team…think when youve seen us thumped 9-0 at Lincoln City…5-0 at Stockport County…4-0 at Torquay United…and 4-0 by Rochdale maybe you live with some perspective?

It wasn’t that poor in the first half, but the shock of being three down meant the jeering off was very likely.

I can’t imagine there’s any club that doesn’t take stick from its fans at some point.

To me there’s a difference between generic booing and abusing individual players.

I also think the players need to chill a little. The sulking and heading straight off after the final whistle suggests they are also entitled.

I think AFCB has taught me to so much from my first game in 1969 through to the present.
We are a unique club in so many ways and I just appreciate having seen them in all leagues and guises!
I only wish John Bond had taken us up in 1972…because believe we could have made it to the old Division 1 IMO…but fate took us into another direction ( thanks NorwichCity!)
Had that happened I think we would have a very different AFCB now.
But being in the over hyped and ridiculously money soaked PL is a massive thing.
I would NEVER boo the team…think when youve seen us thumped 9-0 at Lincoln City…5-0 at Stockport County…4-0 at Torquay United…and 4-0 by Rochdale maybe you live with some perspective?
Had you down as being mid 40's..................

Your first game that is, not your age.

;)

To me there’s a difference between generic booing and abusing individual players.
This is it in a nutshell for me. 100%.

Also, as we’ve seen before. On the rare times the stadium boos them off we always get the right reaction and a better second half performance. Even if you don’t agree with that statement you can’t argue it makes us worse…:

This is it in a nutshell for me. 100%.

Also, as we’ve seen before. On the rare times the stadium boos them off we always get the right reaction and a better second half performance. Even if you don’t agree with that statement you can’t argue it makes us worse…:

Well yes, that is right of course...

But just because players didn't break down in tears or played well 2nd half, doesn't mean it hasn't p1ssed them off abd harbour Ill feeling/sully relationship with fans.

Goes for many things in life. Imagine if your boss kept criticising you, having a go in front of others. You may continue to maintain good standard of work, but you may be looking elsewhere for another job as a result of their behaviour.

I know this will likely lead to 'they need to grow a pair' or 'I'd put up with booing if I was paid 50k a week', but they're human and it may cause issues/change how they view their future at the ckub, when other clubs approach them down tge line.

Given Kelly booing previously and how several players have gestured to the crowd recently, it wouldn't be unfair to say tge players may be feeling less favourable towards fans in general.

Well yes, that is right of course...

But just because players didn't break down in tears or played well 2nd half, doesn't mean it hasn't p1ssed them off abd harbour Ill feeling/sully relationship with fans.

Goes for many things in life. Imagine if your boss kept criticising you, having a go in front of others. You may continue to maintain good standard of work, but you may be looking elsewhere for another job as a result of their behaviour.
Well the last times it’s happened the team has gone on to get promoted and celebrate with the fans and stay up and celebrate with the fans…

Other than that your disintegration of performance and relationship piece is alright…

I think they are aware if they go somewhere else it will be to another fan base that will boo them off if 3-0 down at home to a relegation side.

I know this will likely lead to 'they need to grow a pair' or 'I'd put up with booing if I was paid 50k a week', but they're human and it may cause issues/change how they view their future at the ckub, when other clubs approach them down tge line.
This doesn’t make sense though. Every home fanbase does it. God knows we’ve been the joyous creation of it many times as a small club winning away in style at half time at a big club.

So if a player finds it effects them mentally, which I respect, it’s their career they need to change not their club.

Individuals being targeted is different of course.

Important difference highlighted regarding booing one individual or booing the Team.

With the former..his confidence will be destroyed possibly....with latter the Team will likely discuss the reason and make a positive action...with an added fear in the background of thinking that the next time, any one of them could be the one individual that 'gets it' from the crowd.
I guess that where the Leadership issue comes in, which I think is where the Cherries have had inconsistency !

Another angle which I think a poster mentioned earlier in the week was that of 'silence' as a crowd response, being perhaps more effective.

I guess you could also discuss any differences between half - time booing and booing at the end.....and even discussing with fans of other clubs...their take on the subject.

Interesting.

Last edited:
The good times and football games that come into my mind going back are our trips to the Old Wembley and the Millennium Stadium, one game we lost and the other we won.

Also that John Bond era that a number of us remember when we saw exciting, attacking football with plenty of goals and also ‘entertainment’ from characters like Alan Groves.

For some reason I think of the Bond era more than the Redknapp era even though we had that big cup win against Ron Atkinson’s Manchester United team and the season we were promoted with a high number of points.

Then up to the start of our successful time with Eddie Howe as our manager up to the present day.

So following the Cherries from the 1957 Manchester United FA Cup game up to the present, you now appreciate the standard of football we are seeing after watching some awful games going back to the lower leagues.

No I didn’t boo our team off at half-time but was as frustrated as the majority of those in the stadium with what we saw in that first half.

Last edited:
I didn't boo but fully understand the reaction from some. My first thoughts were "well they get paid enough, it should be water off a ducks back". It's definitely a mindset change from the Eddie days.

I'm not sure there's a ground in the PL (Luton aside I dunno) that wouldn't have booed being 3 down at HT so who would expect different ?

Let's just put it down as "The fans weren't happy" which I'm sure I heard on the radio on the way home which is fully understandable, I mean how do you express not being happy.

Be honest now do the players really give a toss for the fan's anymore, no chance. There's doesn't appear to be any sort of special relationship, we have new players who have wormed there way out of 5 year contracts elsewhere to chase the bigger bucks here for example. We're a bit part in the PL circus, bizarrely something we used to moan the hell out of back in the day.

I hate booing and have never once booed the team, but its a fact if life.

Players should be mentally strong enough to cope with a bit of booing, these days I'm sure there's at least one AFCB club psychologist that has dealing with it as part of their remit.

Booing of individual players is beyond pathetic*

The guy ranting at Netto needs to have a long hard look at himself.

*Wee Turd excepted

Should boo the stewards before the game.

Probably get in quicker.

Boo your boss, probably get a pay rise.

Boo your Cat, might stop going to the neighbour's for extra food.

Boo your car, might get better MPG, or have a more valuable resale.

Boo the missus, better in the sack perhaps.

This booing thing really has positive results, try it in all aspects of your life.

There have always been half (and full) time boos after poor performances, always.

The boos in the Benson (or other eras) weren't about entitlement. They were because we'd played poorly.

The first half on Wednesday was poor. The boos were not a surprise. I don't boo but understand those that do.

I agree that the abuse of individual players is wrong and unhelpful. They're just young blokes.

I feel for the players when things go wrong, on Wednesday it was a tactical change that was needed and the coach put that right. So the players couldn't have done anything differently in the first half maybe.

Once the players move to the new training ground a valuable link between players and fans will be broken and the distance will grow. I suspect the new ground will have a private car park so the pre and post match interaction will be replaced by waving through expensive car windows.

The bond between players and fans will then change hugely. Relationship replaced by transaction.

;